What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

Before I say what I did to my boat, here’re the symptoms. Trickle charged overnight both batteries on my Thunderjet. Gauge reading just over 12 volts. Launch the boat, noticed a slower crank but started, pulled the boat to shore, engine off and park my trailer. Push the boat off shore, jump in and go to crank, no start. No place to screw around floating down the Fraser so I started the kicker without issue and got back to shore. With the kicker on, gauge is reading 13.5 volts and the system has a few more amps to give so I crank the main and it starts but the crank still seems slow. I continue my boat ride with no issues, come home and slap a trickle charge on. Next trip, first crank slow again but starts… I always have my main or kicker on in the chuck so no big deal. During my trip I noticed some weird intermittent humming sounds coming from my engine wtf. Doesn’t sound mechanical, not depended on engine speed, not my speakers, trying to find it and it’s driving me crazy. Got back home and the next day cleaned/serviced every gd electrical connection I can find. Trickle charged the batteries again and back on the water. Start main, crank seems a bit better but sounds like the starter might be weak, , no big deal maybe replace the starter as preventive maintenance LoL. Back on the water and the intermittent electrical humming sounds are back, wtf I just can’t pin point the location and everytime I’m back at the launch the sound is gone. Here’s the funny part, during this entire time I know what I should do but didn’t want to do. I skipped the first basic step of load testing the batteries.
I replaced both batteries, take her out the next time, wow, starter sounds awesome and no more electrical humming sounds. Haha that’s what I get for trying to be cheap, I tried everything to not replace my batteries but in the end had to anyways.

had my first engine failure on the water just before i flew off to africa. my normally reliable yammy failed up halfway between van and vic. switched to kicker and ran it while diagnosing the issue. used the old aviate navigate communicate to fix it. turned out to be a clog in the water fuel separator which is a mini on KF 1825s. dumped it out in the ocean and tried restarting engine. fired up immediately. tossed on my spare just in case and junked the old one. my normally reliable chevron 94 station has a water in the fuel issue i think since it was literally a full tank from zero at the chev 94 pump. anyway i bought another spare.
next i gotta deinstall the forwardscan, one of the VHFs and tablet on my KF to move it overseas to my new cat.

I’ve never had a bearing failure on the road because unlike most people, I maintain my stuff lol. But I always carry a spare set of bearings in the truck. Ive actually given a set out to guys at the ramp that have blown up bearings but never had to use them myself.

Ive had this set in my truck for probably well over five years and the package must have been punctured. Bearings were getting rusty, so I cleaned them up, packed with grease, and vacuum sealed. Good to go for another five years under my seat

Attachments

• 8A9A6614-A9CF-4337-B75C-142DF48A97B8.jpeg
    8A9A6614-A9CF-4337-B75C-142DF48A97B8.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 618CDA49-312A-4616-8426-90E507C27B64.jpeg
    618CDA49-312A-4616-8426-90E507C27B64.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 66
I just carry the whole hub assemble now. Never had to replace one yet but Im hoping this will be an easier process.
I’ve never had a bearing failure on the road because unlike most people, I maintain my stuff lol. But I always carry a spare set of bearings in the truck. Ive actually given a set out to guys at the ramp that have blown up bearings but never had to use them myself.

Ive had this set in my truck for probably well over five years and the package must have been punctured. Bearings were getting rusty, so I cleaned them up, packed with grease, and vacuum sealed. Good to go for another five years under my seat

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 10.15.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 10.15.55 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
Nice looking top, did you think about putting a window in the front so you can see when your standing up I have windows in my 542 top and works good when you are standing
Yeah I can add those. I can also fold the middle flap back and button it.

Nice looking top, did you think about putting a window in the front so you can see when your standing up I have windows in my 542 top and works good when you are standing
I can't believe the cost of those windows.. looked at replacing mine for my 542 because the previous owner didnt care for it that well so it's optically not that great.. was quoted $600 by two places for just the front window.

No you have now jinxed yourself. I just had a bearing failure and I maintain my bearings all the time.

I just was reminded that how much maintenance you do on your trailer things can happen. My front bearing buddy came off on way back from gold river. Smoke show. But I came prepared and with help of buddy were able to get it fixed. I always carry everything with me.

Don't care how much people go off that they won't break down. People should know how to change bearings and carry emergency things with them. The worst is to be stranded middle of nowhere.

Prop rash , My neighbors boat broke moorage last Nov and gourd my portside (called right away and insisted he would pay , old school) Glad we had it done at Park Isle Marine in Sooke ,Roy and his crew did an awesome job! So glad I did not attempt this at home!

Attachments

• 20211201_134104.jpg
    20211201_134104.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 127
  • 20211024_105103.jpg
    20211024_105103.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5301.jpg
    IMG_5301.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 20220815_153137.jpg
    20220815_153137.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 124
I can't believe the cost of those windows.. looked at replacing mine for my 542 because the previous owner didnt care for it that well so it's optically not that great.. was quoted $600 by two places for just the front window.

I have succumbed to the peer pressure and he is adding three windows in the front. $75 per window.

Seems like a great deal compared to what I’ve been quoted to get a canvas made. Stizz must have a good hookup

Back