What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

When I was bending a 2” wide piece of flat aluminum around my turkey fryer pot, I really wondered why I didn’t just go to value village and find a cheap pot of the correct diameter haha

When I was bending a 2” wide piece of flat aluminum around my turkey fryer pot, I really wondered why I didn’t just go to value village and find a cheap pot of the correct diameter haha
I kind if tried the same thing last winter, just didn’t like the outcome at all. I wouldn’t call this a cheap pot certainly not overly pricey either. Grabbed it at CT for $65 and I am very happy with the outcome. It’s quite sturdy, I may add a bottom brace later on we will see but I don’t think it’s necessary certainly not for strength. I cut the off rivets from handles off first to get them out of the way. To mark the cut line straight I flipped the pot on it’s top and placed a sharpay on piece of Wood the height or in the case the width I wanted. I held the marker stationary and rotated the pot and marked the line. Being aluminum I used my jigsaw and it cut quite easy and was able to get a very straight cut. Just touched up the cut edge with a file. I cut two pieces just in case one did work out. But liked the piece I used as it has a bit of a flare on the outside lip which I think looks sharp.

Best part is I still have a pot to use. Will drill the holes back in and reattach the handles and I have a very handy 4” deep pan/ pot for camping, so no loss on the pot. You can see the piece in the background in the one pick with the box.

Got ours back today from the shop, we had a 15HP Merc Prokicker installed, along with Garmin smart pump auto pilot, upgraded 1KW b175HW transducer and some maintenance work. Should be all ready for some serious fishing now! Can’t wait

PS the Merc and Yamaha colors drive me a bit nuts but I wanted more power than a 9.9 and fuel injection so I guess I gotta learn to love it haha

tight lines
Tom
Did you consider the 25HP Yamaha High Thrust? Any reason it wasn’t a candidate? I looked at it for my GW G228 but the extra 50lbs on the port side concerned me. Your boats bigger though.
Just curious.

Did you consider the 25HP Yamaha High Thrust? Any reason it wasn’t a candidate? I looked at it for my GW G228 but the extra 50lbs on the port side concerned me. Your boats bigger though.
Just curious.
I did actually, but talking to the local experts the added weight and also the power curve wasn’t as well matched. Everyone I talked to recommended the 15hp Merc was a perfect fit for the sailfish and I can absolutely confirm it is. It’s speed control is very precise, super quiet, quick starting and also has the power to do quick turns with no problem.

Well today was supposed to be the naming ceremony and the maiden voyage, well the new to me boat had other plans. After waiting for 4 hours to fix the trim, mechanic came to the ramp and was very helpful, we we’re finally heading out. But we soon afterwards learned that there’s something bigger at play and the engine was making not great noises and revving too high and slipping. What a fun day. I love boating.

Well today was supposed to be the naming ceremony and the maiden voyage, well the new to me boat had other plans. After waiting for 4 hours to fix the trim, mechanic came to the ramp and was very helpful, we we’re finally heading out. But we soon afterwards learned that there’s something bigger at play and the engine was making not great noises and revving too high and slipping. What a fun day. I love boating.
Hang in there. We all go through it..........every single ******* year. Ur gonna get it sorted out and have some good times. Lots of good weather left!

Hang in there. We all go through it..........every single ******* year. Ur gonna get it sorted out and have some good times. Lots of good weather left!
Yeah I hear that, same exact thing happened with the last boat on the maiden voyage. I gotta stop going to that ramp lol

I kind if tried the same thing last winter, just didn’t like the outcome at all. I wouldn’t call this a cheap pot certainly not overly pricey either. Grabbed it at CT for $65 and I am very happy with the outcome. It’s quite sturdy, I may add a bottom brace later on we will see but I don’t think it’s necessary certainly not for strength. I cut the off rivets from handles off first to get them out of the way. To mark the cut line straight I flipped the pot on it’s top and placed a sharpay on piece of Wood the height or in the case the width I wanted. I held the marker stationary and rotated the pot and marked the line. Being aluminum I used my jigsaw and it cut quite easy and was able to get a very straight cut. Just touched up the cut edge with a file. I cut two pieces just in case one did work out. But liked the piece I used as it has a bit of a flare on the outside lip which I think looks sharp.

Best part is I still have a pot to use. Will drill the holes back in and reattach the handles and I have a very handy 4” deep pan/ pot for camping, so no loss on the pot. You can see the piece in the background in the one pick with the box.
Brilliant!!

Built me a lure charger last week. Ordered a UV light strip off Amazon, used wood for the box. Not entirely happy with the out come of how I had to lay out the light strip but it worked. Runs off a USB plug which the boat has. Amazing the difference it makes in charging the lures, bright and fast. You could use a lure for a flashlight its crazy lol. Has slots cut for the flashers and a lure hanger on the end.

52205615579_6f9afe78fe_c.jpg

52205842475_08fb4a97a3_c.jpg

52205845210_c18c06118b_c.jpg

52205838165_78017471c6_c.jpg
This is so sweet. I bought the hardware and lights to build one years ago but made the "mistake" I guess of buying a UV flashlight in the same amazon order which has given me less incentive to get at er and build it.

installed a Trollmaster Pro3 i purchased from a forum member. was a bit daunting but the install went well with the exception of one thing: the servo power cable was too short for where i wanted to mount it. i expedited the extension cable out of Virginia as i wanted it setup asap.

after exchange and duty that cable cost me $150

I took this.

52232514114_acbabb4ce8_c.jpg

And turned it into this.

52232513574_b4c6463486_c.jpg

52232513744_c581912e6e_c.jpg

52232722270_2ffb1be9d9_c.jpg

52232240986_30c4200a5a_c.jpg
So not so brilliant boys, it didn’t work. Should have put the brace on the bottom. Also I think it was to small as it would cause the prop to cavatate when wanting to run at any higher speeds. I think what happened is it sucked the guard over from the force of the water and it slowly ate a hole in the side of the guard. Never hurt the prop any just a slight wear on it nothing to worry about but sure ate a hole in the guard. So looks like I’ll be ordering the proper equipment lol. Oh well can’t win them all.
52269404772_0f280eb161_c.jpg

So not so brilliant boys, it didn’t work. Should have put the brace on the bottom. Also I think it was to small as it would cause the prop to cavatate when wanting to run at any higher speeds. I think what happened is it sucked the guard over from the force of the water and it slowly ate a hole in the side of the guard. Never hurt the prop any just a slight wear on it nothing to worry about but sure ate a hole in the guard. So looks like I’ll be ordering the proper equipment lol. Oh well can’t win them all.
Valiant effort!

Good for you for owning it on a public forum; some times sharing a mistake helps others more than know-it-all hindsight.

I wouldn't have expected that to happen. I wonder how many prototypes the OEM prop guard guys went through??

Upgraded my original 23 yr old (I think) seat swivels with new Garelick models, now both seats slide. Bought the new ones from Tightlines on this forum, a nice upgrade.

Attachments

• 30A88F9F-7B9C-49C7-884D-47EE99CE6CFC.jpeg
    30A88F9F-7B9C-49C7-884D-47EE99CE6CFC.jpeg
    321.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 0228F617-1DC8-4A0E-9EA9-62F81AE27DC2.jpeg
    0228F617-1DC8-4A0E-9EA9-62F81AE27DC2.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 51
Added a second lowrance station, swapped in the new carbon into dash, gen3 went to back,
Removed the furuno sounder that was out back,
I hated running up front to see how far i had drifted, (1st world issues)
3in1 transducer is a huge upgrade
Nice furuno color sounder up for grabs if anyone wants lol
Screenshot_20220811-153747_Messenger.jpgScreenshot_20220811-153759_Messenger.jpgScreenshot_20220811-153817_Messenger.jpg

Last edited:
Naming ceremony and ran her over to her gulf island home! After possibly the longest month of my life being fishing boat-less while she was at the mechanic. But finally ready to go and I’m headed out in the morning to entrance, couldn’t be more excited! F2E342A6-EA9D-47C3-8168-8DAF989A3405.jpeg

Back