Washdown pump install question

Another thing to consider, if you haven't already mounted the actual wash down pump is they last a lot longer if you can mount it in a dry closed in spot - preferably not below deck exposed to any bilge water etc. My Grady (most that I'm aware of) mounted the wash down pump below deck in the bilge area, and those pumps these days just can't seem to last long when exposed to moisture.

Still waiting on its arrival. It’l go under the bench seats but up against the inside transom. It’s not a bone dry area, but same place as my battery. It won’t go down in the bilge.

Pulled the boat and brought it home. Did the usual stare at boat in driveway with beer in hand. You know the look. I’d love to find a 90 degree thru hull connector and come out around the upper part of the actuator on the trim tab around the swim grid. I’d be able to notch out a bit of the grid. Or even a bit below. But, I don’t know if I’d be able to find a thru hull that thick though. That’d be best case scenario. Otherwise I’m coming out the motor well and down around the transducers. Anyone have a line on fittings?

Quick update. Pump arrived and have it installed. Just waiting on a switch & intake screen to finalize the process. I ended up installing it under the starboard side rear seat and running the hose thru the port side splash well. Used a large 1.40" Blue Seas clam and drilled out a 1" hole in the rubber grommet to accommodate the 3/4" ID hose. Found a guy on youtube who installed one on his 176 which was helpful. The pump was bigger than I expected and I need more space to work with. And I think it actually fits fairly well where I have it. I connected it to power and filled a bucket with water and ran it. Didn't put out a stream powerful enough for son to spray seagulls (I got the 4GPM Jasbsco HD) but it pumps out enough pressure to clean the deck & fish. Went with nylon fittings, and don't love the look of all the clamps. I will also install a ball valve as well after one of my fittings wasn't tight enough and seeing water drip in didn't give me the warm & fuzzies. Another couple hours still to finalize everything and we'll be in business.

Attachments

• IMG_0078.jpeg
    IMG_0078.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0080.jpeg
    IMG_0080.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 86
Quick update. Pump arrived and have it installed. Just waiting on a switch & intake screen to finalize the process. I ended up installing it under the starboard side rear seat and running the hose thru the port side splash well. Used a large 1.40" Blue Seas clam and drilled out a 1" hole in the rubber grommet to accommodate the 3/4" ID hose. Found a guy on youtube who installed one on his 176 which was helpful. The pump was bigger than I expected and I need more space to work with. And I think it actually fits fairly well where I have it. I connected it to power and filled a bucket with water and ran it. Didn't put out a stream powerful enough for son to spray seagulls (I got the 4GPM Jasbsco HD) but it pumps out enough pressure to clean the deck & fish. Went with nylon fittings, and don't love the look of all the clamps. I will also install a ball valve as well after one of my fittings wasn't tight enough and seeing water drip in didn't give me the warm & fuzzies. Another couple hours still to finalize everything and we'll be in business.
Always remember to switch it off when not in use , a friend almost sank his boat from a dripping fitting slowly leaking

That’ll do. A washdown hose is a game changer.
And the way you’ve installed it you can easily winterize your pump just by removing the one cable clamp, holding a jug of the antifreeze up to your intake and running it through.

If your like me.you'll learn to hate the coiled hose.I had a hose made up just long enough to reach all my deck area.

Did you get greenline to make you one? I like how it tucks away neatly. What boat did you get it made for? I’ve lost track 😂

The location of yours seems both out of the way when you don’t need it and handy when you do. I keep mine tucked out of the way on my boat hook and once blood hits the floor it lies in the toe-kick trough below. I never used my washdown before I got the coiled hose because I didn’t know what to do with the hose it came with when I wasn’t using it. Different strokes for different folks and boats I guess. IMG_6893.jpeg

Did you get greenline to make you one? I like how it tucks away neatly. What boat did you get it made for? I’ve lost track 😂
Shout out to Greenline. Best hose I own is one of the yellow (thinner wall) hoses with brass ends that I've owned for like 12-13 years. The heavy wall hoses aren't really necessary for most applications and are harder to coil up.

Finally got it finished. Not the cleanest look but nice to not have any new holes below the water line. The intake tucked in neatly behind the trim tab. I might need to redo the hose/add a 90 as I originally tried to not use many 90’s but found the ball valve takes a up a lot of space and requires a longer straight run than I thought. The wiring will get a little tidy once I finalize things too. Good enough for the moment. I’ll give the boat a test run this week. Quatsino is calling…

Attachments

• IMG_0114.jpeg
    IMG_0114.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0112.jpeg
    IMG_0112.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0113.jpeg
    IMG_0113.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0116.jpeg
    IMG_0116.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0118.jpeg
    IMG_0118.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 76
Why do you need the ball valve if you can just kill the power if it ever kept continuously pumping?

As your boat isn't self bailing do you have a bilge pump and float switch (probably) to get rid of all that salt water and is it sealed away from your fuel tank?

As your boat isn't self bailing do you have a bilge pump and float switch (probably) to get rid of all that salt water and is it sealed away from your fuel tank?

Yes automatic bilge pump, DE 185. Same as your old one so the fuel tank is sort of sealed away except for the bulkhead drains for & aft.

I installed mine yesterday. I haven't decided on the inlet water intake. Not drilling though my hull for now.

I just have the inlet hose free which stores out of way in the hatch where inboard used to be. When I want to use hose over side or just use bucket.

The great doing it this way is sometime I am at some docks without fresh water on dock. I can easily bring a bucket down and spray off deck with fresh instead of salt.

I may lean toward putting a fresh water tank down road. Will see.

Attachments

• 20240726_180825.jpg
    20240726_180825.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 27
I installed mine yesterday. I haven't decided on the inlet water intake. Not drilling though my hull for now.

I just have the inlet hose free which stores out of way in the hatch where inboard used to be. When I want to use hose over side or just use bucket.

The great doing it this way is sometime I am at some docks without fresh water on dock. I can easily bring a bucket down and spray off deck with fresh instead of salt.

I may lean toward putting a fresh water tank down road. Will see.
Learned recently to always have a bucket or 2 of fresh water on the boat to dunk all the gear in after fishing. Can even splash it on the reels too. My son works part time at a grocery store so he gets buckets from the bakery which are about 2-3 gallons with lids.

Yeah I added a cutting bleed trough so I don't have to do bucket thing anymore. Wanted to install a long time ago but the stupid doghouse when I had inboard got in way.

I actually forgot I had it.

This will be huge time saver for back at dock and keeps mess out of boat.

Attachments

• 20240727_130857.jpg
    20240727_130857.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240727_130850.jpg
    20240727_130850.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 31
Back