Washdown pump install question

Lots of good information here. Please post up what you decide on, I capped off my through hull for my wash down because it wasn't installed well, would like to have it working again though. Undecided on going back to the through hull or a hose off the pod...

Lots of good information here. Please post up what you decide on, I capped off my through hull for my wash down because it wasn't installed well, would like to have it working again though. Undecided on going back to the through hull or a hose off the pod...
Thats what use best part is you can use while boat is under way and your buddies can wash the boat for ya ...everyone is so worried about it if your that worried install a emergency bilge higher with a float switch, (WHICH one should have anyways) incase it ever does leak? (dont know how) im going on 16 years . it was the original raw water pick up tube for the inboard just multi purposed it . id never not have a boat with out a wash down pump...Trust me drilling in a hole in the hull is scary I still shake when My maraine tech said put a thru hul transducer in As the cheap out back transducer always failed or cracks. best thing ive ever did. with alll the our below water line inakes (bathrooms,sinks etc not a big deal really

Last edited:
Thats what use best part is you can use while boat is under way and your buddies can wash the boat for ya ...everyone is so worried about it if your thsat worried install a emergency bilge higher with a float switch, (WHICH one should have anyways) incase it ever does leak? (dont know how) im going on 16 years . it was the original raw water pick up tube for the inboard just multi purposed it . id never not have a boat with out a wash down pump...
Absolutely, a seascock is safe IMO, if done right

Thats what use best part is you can use while boat is under way and your buddies can wash the boat for ya ...everyone is so worried about it if your that worried install a emergency bilge higher with a float switch, (WHICH one should have anyways) incase it ever does leak? (dont know how) im going on 16 years . it was the original raw water pick up tube for the inboard just multi purposed it . id never not have a boat with out a wash down pump...Trust me drilling in a hole in the hull is scary I still shake when My maraine tech said put a thru hul transducer in As the cheap out back transducer always failed or cracks. best thing ive ever did. with alll the our below water line inakes (bathrooms,sinks etc not a big deal really
Ya I hear what you're saying. I have a through hull fitting already, it's just capped off. I should look for a brass valve for it and get it going again I guess, and install a second bilge pump.

Ya well I think the ethical is pretty much the same, bc base or not, I know a bit of the history behind it

Pulled the boat and brought it home. Did the usual stare at boat in driveway with beer in hand. You know the look. I’d love to find a 90 degree thru hull connector and come out around the upper part of the actuator on the trim tab around the swim grid. I’d be able to notch out a bit of the grid. Or even a bit below. But, I don’t know if I’d be able to find a thru hull that thick though. That’d be best case scenario. Otherwise I’m coming out the motor well and down around the transducers. Anyone have a line on fittings?

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpeg
    IMG_0020.jpeg
    423.9 KB · Views: 65
Do you want to be able to use the washdown pump while on plane? Or only at troll/idle speed? That would dictate the pickup hose length.

My Seasport came with a bronze thru hull fitting for the washdown with a ball shut off valve on the inboard side. I changed the pump location to behind the deck step to exit the cockpit to the dock...so its well above the waterline. If any pump fitting failed water wouldn't enter the boat.

On my last boat I drilled hole in splash well and ran hose through it, over the transom and secured the end of it with a clamp around hose and used an existing screw in end of trim tab hinge hull plate to secure it. Worked well and no holes below water line.

Ya I hear what you're saying. I have a through hull fitting already, it's just capped off. I should look for a brass valve for it and get it going again I guess, and install a second bilge pump.
Yes would reporpose that fitting migh as well its there!!! and mount the pump up as high as you can thats what I did , basically same as what Rollie said.
This is what mine looks like but bronze you could probally use same out the back of boat mount it on a home made L bracket made from alum

I don’t think so. I haven’t rea
On my last boat I drilled hole in splash well and ran hose through it, over the transom and secured the end of it with a clamp around hose and used an existing screw in end of trim tab hinge hull plate to secure it. Worked well and no holes below water line.

Did you use a grommet or cable clam for the transition through the splash well? Or how did you seal it?

After a couple close calls scooping water with a bucket, I’ve decided to get a wash-down pump. I’m avoiding using a below water line thru hull and will be running a hose through my motor-well and over the transom. Using a variety of fittings and will be able to mount the inlet off my upper motor mount bolt. Im just working out the best way to run/seal the hose thru the motor well. I believe I’ll be using 3/4” inside diameter hose so the outside will probably be 1 1/8 or so. The motor well is about 1/2” thick roughly. Initially im thinking to just drill a hole, put a couple coats resin around the hole, run the hose through, then run some skates around the edge. I’m thinking a piece of flexible rubber sheet around the hose that runs through the motor well. Open to input and suggestions. 185 DE.
Last year came very close to going over scooping water. Installed a washdown before the next trip out. Scared the crap out of me

Another thing to consider, if you haven't already mounted the actual wash down pump is they last a lot longer if you can mount it in a dry closed in spot - preferably not below deck exposed to any bilge water etc. My Grady (most that I'm aware of) mounted the wash down pump below deck in the bilge area, and those pumps these days just can't seem to last long when exposed to moisture.

Back