Visiting BC (tofino and SSI)....where to fish

Hot plate

Hello all,

I am bringing my young family out to the west coast for a big camping/touring trip. I am an avid angler and would love to take my five year old son (who loves it as well) out for a fiahing charter. I think I have narrowed it down to two locations that we are visiting: tofino and salt spring.

I am trying to see if anyone has any advice for which I should choose. We are going to be at both places in mid July. Part of me thinks it will be easier for me to leave my wife and young daughter on their own in salt spring than in tofino, plus I think there are more things to do in tofino so all things being equal I would rather fish out if salt spring. However, I get the sense that the fishing in tofino is better. Is that the case?

A quick look at costs has half day trips at around $650 in tofino. That's pretty pricey. Any tips for a cheaper (maybe shorter) trip? What if I talked my wife and daughter into coming? Does anyone know what the whale watching is like in either location at this time?

Any advice on which location I should fish in, who I should go with and whether there is a way of making it more affordable would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Talk to Fishtofino, he is on the forum quite a bit and easily accessible by way of a PM...I am sure he could help you out with some options. you may be able to partner up with another person or two to bring down the cost.
I would defenitly fish out of Tofino over SSI. You are right on the fish highway, with options for bottom fish (Hali, cod...) plus this is where the whales are for sure.
Another option is Uclulet back down the coast...this will provide an option to fish Barkley Sound as well which can hold fish and the scenery is second to none...

There are opportunities for whale watching within the gulf islands and the Straight of Georgia, mostly for Killer Whales but it can be spotty at times, Mostly this trips depart from the Vancouver side I believe.

Take a peak at a couple of the threads on Uclulet and Tofino and you will see who is who and who can help you out...

Cheers and good luck!

Definitely fish Tofino. Nothing like the west coast for a first fishing experience. Make sure to book your stay in Tofino at the end of your island vacation so your catch is fresh when you get home. The cost of your charter is well worth the money in memories alone.

Hotplate:---

You might want to read up on the seasickness thread if you're going WCVI.

I don't know if you are used to fishing offshore WCVI or not......but some days you get big rollers out there....

Just a heads up............

As others have said......buzz FishTofino (Shawn) and DEFINITELY fish IN Tofino over Salt Spring if you have the chance. Who knows, you may even be able to find a shared charter?

The water will be easier on you around Salt Spring as you don't have the swells to contend with and you also have a better chance of getting out guaranteed. Weather can dictate getting out of Tofino but there are definitely inshore places to fish that you and your son could have a blast at.

All in all......if you had a choice of somewhere to fish between the 2, Tofino would win out 10 times out of 10 in my mind.

As Seafever mentioned DEFINITELY read the sea sickness thread and take PRECAUTIONS as you don't want to ruin your day. Preventative measures such as Bonine would be a must in my books if you've never experienced water like that before. It can be flat calm as far as waves go but there will be a gentle roll on the swell....that can mess people up who claim "I NEVER get seasick". :rolleyes:

Where are you coming from.......and when are you looking to be out here?

tofino, period. you can also book a rib boat whale watching adventure which is a great deal of fun for the entire family. my wife and i not only saw grays but also what has become really rare, blue whale. your family will love walking around tofino as there are plenty of tourist oriented shops within walking distance of pretty much wherever you choose to stay.

Hey Hot Plate, Inshore fishing in Tofino will fit your trip perfectly. Big springs for you and lots of coho for your son. Don't bother going offshore you want your kid to love the experience and not take a chance with sea sickness. I manage a marina and am also a charter guide in Tofino and take kids fishing all the time. Whomever you get as a guide just make sure you state inshore, it is awesome fishing these days both inshore and offshore so no need to take a chance with a unhappy kid and no guide in Tofino gives refunds for going in early. Best of luck and see you on the water.

Also there is loads to do for the wife and daughter, spa day (very popular) beaches, surfing etc. Or just bring the girls on the boat as we have lots of wildlife for them to see as well whales, sea lions otters. Tofino is super family friendly.

Yes, i told him about the inshore fishing when i replied to his e mail this morning

both places are pretty small in tofino beachcombing being the main thing. there are only about a dozen stores if that. your definitely there to see nature not shop. about 2 dozen on ssi with lot of artist studios and nursery's, a winery... I would make sure to be on ssi on a Saturday for there very popular big market other then that its pretty sleepy. A day at the lake would be fun if your not used to that.

Ive never heard of charters out of ssi but with so many fish coming down the inside this year and being a pink year... might work. Ive never fished tofino but can imagine its amazing.

Thanks so much everyone. Sounds like tofino is the spot for sure. And my timing sounds good too. My only issue is the price. Sounds like its about 120/hr with a 5hr min. Does anyone know of alternatives? Are there shorter trips? Is there a forum of guys who have boats but just need someone else to go out with (pay for gas) not operating as a charter. I am not sure how my son will like it and how long he will last? I don't think I need to keep the fish I catch as I am still travelling for another week and a half?

the cheapest guided trip out of Ucluelet is the Canadian princess boats, look them up online , but be forewarned they are called the "puker" boats for a reason:p your better bet would be a half day charter out of either Ucluelet or Tofino if you could find one as, this time of year is pretty booked up for charters. Also there is nothing cheap in either place IE: food and lodging so be expecting to shell out some dough as you wont make it far on a penny pincher budget on the west coast in peak tourist season. Remember this .. "you get what you pay for"

Tofino is definitely the superior fishing location. More fish, more variety of fish, bigger fish etc. However, given that you are taking your family and are looking to take your 5 year old son out fishing, Salt Spring might fit your needs better. There is a pink run this year so you should be able to catch a ton of pinks (plus have an opportunity to catch Spring and Coho, maybe even Sockeye??) if your trip is in August. The Pender bluffs are a short run from Salt Spring and fishing in August is typically very good. It has the added advantage of being very protected from ocean swells etc so seasickness shouldn't be a problem. There are a few good charter companies that run out of Salt Spring and Pender.

The bottom line is that if your primary goal is the ultimate salmon fishing experience then Tofino can't be beat. However, if you just want to get out and allow your 5 year old the experience of catching a salmon then Salt Spring might actually be a better "family" vacation.

Well....they do have some "paradise" type days off Tofino where it is glass calm for fishing in the summer....

It isn't all rough stuff all the time.......but when you book a charter on a certain day you can't accurately know too far ahead what you're in for weatherwise......

Well....they do have some "paradise" type days off Tofino where it is glass calm for fishing in the summer....

It isn't all rough stuff all the time.......but when you book a charter on a certain day you can't accurately know too far ahead what you're in for weatherwise......

Like today. Tubbed out and back home already. Looking for more clients for the afternoon, lol

Back