transducer location

scott craven

anybody got a easy location finder for a transom mounted transducer ?
my new sounder (matrix 17) will not read at anything over 10 knots.

i've moved it once already, but don't want to keep on drilling holes
the old one seemed to work fine in the original location .

Transducers! Hate the GD things! make sure that nothing is ahead of them on the hull, ie. no bubbles formed, make sure it is low enough or the hull itself will cause the bubbles, try 1/2 inch into the free flowing water for a start; I've seen them lower. Let us know how you make out.

fwiw Tom

Nothing or the readings get really out of whack? My own tranducer was poorly installed (my bad!) and I get depth only with minimal detail due to wash, etc at higher speeds. As long as it reads great at trolling speeds and slower, does it matter that much?

thats true, i guess i'm just used to my old one which used to read
the bottom at any speed..
maybe i'll try mounting inside hull ?

Thanks

You can get what is called a high speed transducer, more bullet shaped causing less turbulence, ask your dealer.

mine is mounted about halfway between the motor, and the chine. Its works great even at 30 knots. the transducer is about and inch below the bottom of the hull.

The best setup I have had in any of my boats was sold to me by Rauer Electronics in North Van. Its a housing which you silicone inside the hull.Then you fill with mineral oil.The transducer also comes in the kit.

Shoot Thru or Thru-hull transducers are the only decent solution to sounder performance at speeds above trolling.

Try lowering your Transom Mounted unit about 1-2cm to get into cleaner water for better picture.

Back