trailing hook

I have had only 2 guests in my years of chartering straighten out the hooks I use. I the conecut VMC 1/0 they are very sharp right out of the pacakage and they dony rust because they are nade from a thing called perma steel they are a bit pricey but I can fish for weeks with the same hook so they are cheaper in the long run

God luck Wolf

I have used VMC and Mustad trebles of several sizes and never had the treble straigthen out. I have had one point of the treble bend from time-to-time. I prefer single gammies or mustads, 4/0, 3/0 and sometimes 2/0, for anchovies in a teaser. I have had single hooks break at the barb or bend open, not often though maybe once every couple of years or so. I find I get more strikes if I minimize the size of my single trailing hook, or not use one at all; however, I miss more fish. When I hook a fish with a trailing hook I find I land more (better hooked, often hooked by both single hooks).

Blueorca,
when using a sliding hook, isnt there a big risk that a fish hooked on the front hook will slide back to the trailing hook and could break off? Yes, sliders adjust easily, but the breakoff risk is there. Am I all wet on this one? Dance a Jig

You are correct on the slider I used to use it for hali but until I determined losing them to a slider I dont think a salmon could do it but, every fisherman likes what works for them.
Blue are you not using a teaser head ?or anch.special with that rig?

Wolf

Never had a slider come off or break, it's on tight enough to slide with some preasure..
-Wolf... yes, I use teaser heads for anchovies and herring.
As for using this rig on Hali's...not a chance, I use stainless steel rigs with my spreaders.

boc

...talking about stainless steel Hali rigs: I have one in front of me here that caught something big enough to pull the sliding hook (an 8/0 which had been crimped into place) down to the trailing hook (a 9/0), then right off the leader! In other words, the eye of the hook opened up. The fish (my first) was only on the line for a minute or so, and there weren't really any violent actions, it was just there one second, gone the next...

Paul

Back