Trailer or Moored?

vike47

Newbie question: It seems that some people keep their boats on trailers, and some keep them moored. I think, living in the city core with little space, I would prefer to just keep my boat moored. Assuming a 24' boat, is that asking for increased cost/maintenance? Do you actually need a trailer to use for cleaning and annual maintenance?

Lots of questions come to mind:
Trailer provides the means off being versatile in getting from location to location therefore saving fuel costs, etc.
Just a few other thoughts.
1. You require a satisfactory towing vehicle for a 24' boat.
2. Do you have ample space to store your boat, truck and trailer
3. Are you mechanical inclined to maintain both boat and trailer
4. Are you prepared living on the mainland to deal with ongoing traffic congestion. Knight and 2nd Narrows brutal.
5. #4 and #6 will be the deciding factor in my opinion
6. Will the wife or newbies be your fishing partners as many a divorce commenced at the boat ramp.

As for mooring the convenience is optimum, hard to find and expensive though. Kinda what you are thinking anyway. Weigh the costs of owning a trailer, storage, vehicle, maintenance and go from there. Pros and cons to both. Marinas and mobile mechanics are readily available but again their summer schedule gets pretty hectic. Most Marinas provide lift facilities for annual maintenance.
In my opinion with the way things are mooring would be my option now for a 24' boat if you live on the mainland. Personally I always trailered as I fished the West Coast mostly and pretty much had given up on the mainland.Fishing regs, traffic congestion, algae blooms, dead heads and everything else that goes with that.

Last edited:
I am in the same 'boat' it seems as I recently purchased a 23.5ft boat on a trailer that I have trying to find moorage for, however I have tried a bunch of marinas that tell me there is a 10-15 year waitlist for moorage!! Only moorage available is transient. I live in Burnaby so I considered anything in Burrard inlet, North arm, South arm, Richmond, N.Delta, New West, and even Ladner. At least it's on a trailer, but even good storage seems hard to find. Anyone with any hot tips would be appreciated!

Most excellent, insightful, honest, helpful and humorous response, Drink. Voice of experience I hear.

In addition to Drink's comments - water always wants to get into a boat and sink it. Rainwater often and sometimes even hull leaks for some boats. An automatic bilge pump wired to your battery will work for a while - esp. if you have a battery charger attached to your battery, plugged in, with AC power to your dock. Lots can and sometimes does happen to that peaceful scenario, tho. People inadvertently kick or unplug your cord, breakers pop, chargers trip, pump's fail or get clogged, etc. Surprises can be a very rude awakening.

I personally don't like leaving a boat at the dock unattended and unchecked up on for more than a week or 2. If it is raining hard - more likely I check on the boat every day or 2. If you are planning on leaving your boat unattended for more than a couple weeks - or have to due to access/distance/time issues - I would strongly suggest instead pulling it out and storing it on your trailer - esp. over the wet and stormy fall/winter season.

And mooring lines and how you tie-up a boat for extended periods is another issue...

Last edited:
We bought our first boat last year 18.5ft K&C we put it in oak bay marina for 4 months which was great for evening/after work boating/fishing. We trailer it the rest of the time. I was stressed when it got windy and wet, but we used or checked on it every couple days. Cost was $450 a month or so was a no brainer for the 4 months. As we got to use it a lot, thus justifying the purchase.

Drink covered a lot of good points. To that, I'll add:

1. Mooring is convenient for getting going -- as long as you are okay with always starting at the same place, and having all your nearby destinations be the same ones.
2. When I moored in Victoria, it was about $750 in fuel to run to the north Island -- 2 days running, plus allow a weather day, There's $1500 and your first week of holidays accounted for.
3. I spent $8000 on a trailer, and between moorage costs and running costs, figured I paid it off in around 2.5 years. Now a run to Port McNeill is 8 hours or less, and less than $150 diesel in the truck. I go to the West Coast, which I would not without a trailer.
4. I never worry about my boat in a storm - I know where it is, and I can walk to it in 30 seconds.
5. I can traIler to the ramp in 15 minutes, which is less time than it took me to get from my moorage to the outside of Victoria harbour.
6. I only moor the boat when I want to fish several days a week from the same place.

Pros and cons for sure, but those are mine.

We do trailer our boat: for winter storage or if we want to go to the west coast or north island. Otherwise, we keep annual moorage. It's great because there's no ramp hold- up and the boat is only 8 minutes from home.

Moored as boats are meant to be in the water not a trailor.. I use mine way more when its moored. Less hassle with ramps and getting the boat ready everytime you want to go fishing. Sucks !! Now trying to find moorage before and after covid is a challenge. I phoned 5 marina's who had moorage last year and all said its crazy as alot of people bought a boat lol.. Also alot of marina's took out there 20 ft spots and made 30 ft slips as they say can't put a 30 ft boat in a 20 ft slip but a 20ft will fit in a 30ft spot. Depends what area your in or fish at i guess ?? Lots of pro's and con's like anything..

I love having my boat moored. In fact I’ve never owned a trailer for my Hourston
I can leave my house and have the gear out and fishing in under 40 minutes. Nice to just shoot out for a couple of hours to catch a tide change without all the hassle

Moorage has it benefits but from my experience with it and my boat only being 21 ft ,I've decided to pick "Trailer".
I had enough with Captians that decided the way to stop was hit my boat and even had a dude bend my kicker bracket to a point I could not lower the kicker (how he didnt damage the kicker more than a few rub Mark's I'll never know) .
Not once did any of them own up to it or even leave an apology.
Driveway is the best option for me and saving over 4K a month , pays for at least a 1/4 of the fuel cost (got a 200hp Ocean Pro) hahaha

Back