Buying a Boat Trailer, What should I consider and What Braking System should I choose.

Kiwi Canuck

I have ordered a Stabicraft 2050 Supercab (20' 8") which should show up next summer and now I need a boat trailer to get it to and from the water.

The boat is an Aluminum boat with a dry hull weight of about 2,000 lbs and listed tow weight of approx 3300lbs.

I intend to use the boat in salt water regularly but may use boat ramps in the Fraser River as well as directly into the ocean.

My dealer, Galleon Marine in Richmond supply Highliner trailers which only come in Galvanized Steel, have Drum Brakes and Spring Axles as standard equipment, which should be adequate but I want to explore options that would give me a better quality experience.

I'm looking at buying an Aluminum Tandem Trailer with disk brakes and torsional axles and preferably Stainless-Steel fasteners.

Choices are 4000lb or 5000lb rating, I'm leaning toward the 5000lb rating.

Manufacturers I've researched so far, Tuff, EZ Loader, Road Runner and Venture.

I’ve seen a Venture Aluminum Tandem Trailer in person which had spring axles, disc brakes and I noted it had quite a lot of galvanized steel components and looked like it was basically bolted together without much care or thought. The entire weight of the boat and tailer relying on a single bolt and two U-bolt assemblies to keep the whole thing together.

If I ended up with a trailer like that I would need to pull it apart and remanufacture some parts and replace all of the fasteners to ensure I could use it without being stressed out while towing my new boat.

I would like to be able to have my trailer setup to have the right balance of tongue weight to boat position and be able to have the boat supported properly, like having a customizable trailer to suit the boat, as it’s not a typical V Hull boat, it has the Arrow Pontoon Life Ring which may require more adjustability in the trailer rather than just accepting what ever is supplied.

I’ve recently learned about different types of disc brakes options, which I need some feedback on as well, surge brakes versus an electric over hydraulic upgrade.

It seems every time I learn more about boat trailers my budget creeps up another $1,500 -$2,000 for each new must have feature.

Another question I have is related to carpeted bunks, if I was to retrieve the boat from salt water and after rinsing the boat down, would the carpet retain salty water between the bunk and the bottom of the boat that would cause the bottom of the boat in contact with the bunk to corrode if left for several weeks at a time and over time cause issues with launching.
Would the plastic bunk covers help reduce this issue?

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Here’s a few images that show the boat profile.

gallery-side-view__FillWzExMjAsNzUwXQ.png.webp

2050-gallery1__FillWzExMjAsNzUwXQ.png.webp

2050gallery2__FillWzExMjAsNzUwXQ.png.webp

Last edited:
It’s tough to beat electric over hydraulic brakes but for the weight of boat you’ll be towing, that’s probably overkill. I agree with Bryce: surge activator with disc brakes. The only thing I’d add: if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, consider going torsion with dual axles

Again, maybe overkill on the weight of your boat but a dual axle trailer will track behind your towing rig very nicely and you’ll have the added insurance policy of three tires in case one of them blows....with a single axle....not so much

It’s tough to beat EZ Loader. I just bought a new to me boat and was not able to find an EZ Load available (though it’s true I needed a triple axle). I ended going with Karavan. Looks like a nice trailer, and perhaps a bit cheaper then EZ Load

Here’s a picture of the Karavan: Those hubs look sporty but no idea how Karavan hold up after a few seasons

37BF2449-77E9-4399-8340-AC4640F35E0F.jpeg

Good luck!!

Last edited:
It’s tough to beat electric over hydraulic brakes but for the weight of boat you’ll be towing, that’s probably overkill. I agree with Bryce: surge activator with disc brakes. The only thing I’d add: if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, consider going torsion with dual axles

Again, maybe overkill on the weight of your boat but a dual axle trailer will track behind your towing rig very nicely and you’ll have the added insurance policy of three tires in case one of them blows....with a single axle....not so much

It’s tough to beat EZ Loader. I just bought a new to me boat and was not able to find an EZ Load available (though it’s true I needed a triple axle). I ended going with Karavan. Looks like a nice trailer, and perhapsd a bit cheaper then EZ Load

Here’s a picture of the Karavan: Looks sporty!

View attachment 87133

Good luck!!
Wow there are some really nice boats owned by members on this forum.

Was there a long delay in getting EZ Loader Trailers when you where looking, not sure what the backlog is right now, but I have about 6 months so may need to order soon.

I'm definitely going tandem axle and pretty sure torsion axle as well, just need to find a manufacturer that builds a nice trailer that will fit the Stabicraft.

Thanks for commenting.

David.

I’d go for one of these good for if you have two footitus.

TSA5000T​

• Boats from 20'-22'
  • Load capacity of 5,000 lbs.
  • Tire size 205 / 75R14C radials on five-bolt galvanized wheels
  • Tandem 3,500 lb. galvanized steel axles with torsion suspension
  • Surge disc brakes on all wheels (five-year warranty)
  • "Vault" maintenance free sealed bearing system (five-year warranty)
  • Stainless steel fasteners
  • 5.5" aluminum I-beam mainframe and aluminum crossmembers
  • 2" surge brake coupler with backup solenoid and manual lockout
  • 3,200 lb. manual two-speed winch with strap
  • Four adjustable pivoting carpeted bunks and adjustable winch post
  • Sealed marine quality LED lighting (lifetime warranty)

TSA5000T​

• Boats from 20'-22'
This set up would be ideal tuff trailers are great! There is others out there as well I have a kokopelli aluminum under my boat now no idea where it came from. (came with boat) there is others as well.
I agree with @Sharphooks about electric over hydraulic reason I didn’t say mention it was due to size of the boat and needing a brake controller which limits tow vehicles for you or having to add one!

I have yet to see the ultimate boat trailer. They are kind of all the same if you ask me. My friends have tuff trailer and had issues day one.

My thoughts are just get a trailer that can easily get parts for. I had an EZ loader and was pretty good trailer till the axle went.

I have a roadrunner now my only complaint is that I preferred torsion axle vs leaf springs.

As far as brakes go I would get disc brakes.

Last edited:
I bought a Gateway trailer that was a takeoff from someone who bought a jet boat at Cascade marine,anyways its a 2013 wit electric disc brakes,torsion bar suspension rated at 11000 lbs my boat is around 7000 loaded. It's almost 10 years old and still looks as good as the day I bought it. I think the difference is in the galvanizing process,hot dip compared to cold. These trailers are made in Idaho and it's been a dream it has ez slide bunks wich makes dragging my fat old girl on very easy,,it came with loading chines wich I removed spare tire 15" custom wheels,for me it's been an excellent trailer20160207_160911.jpg

Had quite a few different trailers my favourite one was Rolls Axle. Had a 24fter on it. Even axles were aluminum and spindles stainless molded into them. It’s the Cadillac of trailers for saltwater.

Depends on the truck you buy too.If your still thinking Tacoma I would want electric over hydraulic because the Tacoma's brakes aren't big enough to handle that boat if surge fails (and it will). If you go Tundra,surge will be fine,I've never been a fan though,but the Tundra's brakes will be plenty on their own if trailer brakes fail.

I would definitely go EOH on disc even though i know its unecessary and some would even say overkill. i have it on my tuff trailer 6000 and i'd never go back to anything else even for a lighter duty trailer! it was a game changer for me, i love the in cab control. The tuff is a great trailer all aluminum and stainless, i got the glides on top of the carpet and that works really well. I had an ezloader before and it was a piece of crap everything failed on that thing constantly except the frame. was a glorious day when i saw it leave my driveway for the last time.

I bought a dual axle Highliner with bunks 20 years ago. It originally came with drum brakes, which I replaced multiple times -- and eventually I had Silverstreak install surge/disc brakes which have lasted much better in saltwater. And I switched to LED lights. Those changes improved the trailer -- and I believe can be obtained from Highliner as upgrade options on new trailers. https://highlinertrailer.com/trailers/

Highliner has been good with advice and replacement parts when needed.

As for sliders, I can't comment on the corrosion issue, but they definitely make it easy to load and unload a 6500 lb boat like my Hourston. I replaced the wooden bunks and carpet about a year ago - so nearly 20 year life.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the posts and info, I appreciate the responses.

Loved the pictures of the boats and trailers posted, some brands I've never heard of before.

To answer the question about tow vehicle, I have narrowed it down to getting a new Toyota Tundra, unfortunately they are about 12-18 months for delivery. I've found a few used ones 2018 and up, so may go that route, but was hoping for one of the newer ones with the new 3.5 liter twin Turbo engines, more horsepower, more torque with better fuel economy.

So far I've got a firm quote on the Tuff TSA5000T.
With Disk Brakes, Torsion Axles, Spare Wheel and Surge Braking System, about $16,000 all in, taxes included.
Upgrade Options
Alloy wheels upcharge $790.00
Electric Brake option $1,630.00
Bunk Slides about $665.00
Delivery is 6-8 weeks.

Waiting on firm quotes from Galleon Marine for EZ Loader Aluminum trailer with similar specs as the Tuff Trailer and I'll take a last look at Highliner with disk brakes and see if they offer torsion axles.

My initial budget of $20,000 for trailer and electronics looks a bit optimistic.,

David.

I have a Shorlandr (5800lb) which came with disc brakes. Originally it was set up with a surge actuator as I bought the trailer out of Alberta which was the closest dealer and still is. The disc's are great but like them even more since I upgraded to hydraulic/electric actuator. Way more responsive and consistent braking, way way easier to bleed the system when you need to and I think calipers will last longer because the pistons are moving more and staying lubricated between uses. If you have extra cash to invest I would spend it there. The Shorlandr also has standard dropped axles which is very helpful on some shallow ramps so you don't have to go back into the water so far and still get the boat off or on the trailer.

Last edited:

TSA5000T​

• Boats from 20'-22'
I have a 2018 single axel 5080 lb Tuff single axel aluminum trailer for my 20ft Alumaweld. The previous trailer that came from the US was a Rogue . Total POS The Tuff came with carpeted bunks, that I covered with plastic slick bunk add ons. Remove or isolate the boat from carpets. They hold water and in time will cause you problems. One big thing that is worth the money-- GET AN ELECTRIC WINCH !! I have a TW 9000 Strong Arm, 12v. Winch that will allow you to retrieve your boat on tides that scare the hell out of others trying to pull boats at a low tide.

Get I used one. 16k is a lot for a simple boat trailer just my opinion.
That would make sense if I could find one and if I could confirm it was in excellent condition, as I've never owned a boat trailer before I am not probably the best judge of what's good or not.

Yes $16,000 is a lot for a trailer, I had no idea they were that much, but considering my boat will be over $160,000 by the time it's kitted out with Outboard Motor plus Kicker and Electronics I don't want to cut corners to save a few bucks as even a basic trailer will be about $10,000 new.

Back