Trailer mods after podded outboard swap

Orion4x4

Wondering if anyone has had to modify their trailers after podding a boat? Moving the winch farther ahead to move the boat ahead, moving the bunks back or making them longer? My bunks end about 6” ahead of my transom but was wondering if they should go all the way back with moving the weight from in the hull to on the back of a pod. Thinking of the pressure on the hull while trailering. Also anyone had trouble with not having enough tongue weight?

Wondering if anyone has had to modify their trailers after podding a boat? Moving the winch farther ahead to move the boat ahead, moving the bunks back or making them longer? My bunks end about 6” ahead of my transom but was wondering if they should go all the way back with moving the weight from in the hull to on the back of a pod. Thinking of the pressure on the hull while trailering. Also anyone had trouble with not having enough tongue weight?
Your tongue weight should be 10 to 14% of your GTW ( gross trailer weight ) Load your boat fuel etc and take it to a commercial scale and weigh it
Then do the math. put only your vehicle on the scale and weigh it . go drop your trailer and then re weigh your vehicle. that will give you your tongue weight

Your tongue weight should be 10 to 14% of your GTW ( gross trailer weight ) Load your boat fuel etc and take it to a commercial scale and weigh it
Then do the math. put only your vehicle on the scale and weigh it . go drop your trailer and then re weigh your vehicle. that will give you your tongue weight
Thanks for the advice. I’ve done this in the past. Hopefully it doesn’t move too far outside the limits with the new outboard so far back.

I was wondering the same thing about my trailer.. 570lbs cantilevered 3’ on a bracket attached to a transom designed for an inboard. Seem to me any bumps while trailering would place huge forces on the bolts holding the pod to the transom and the transom itself (regardless how well it’s reinforced). I would feel much better if my trailer is modified with additional supports for the pod.. not sure how to do it yet tho

Attachments

• 68AA5AEE-9476-45D5-A821-11F525015337.png
    68AA5AEE-9476-45D5-A821-11F525015337.png
    824.5 KB · Views: 118
Same problem. Been thinking about this as well.

Another option is longer trailer which I don't really want to do.... Will let you know how it works out. My thoughts are moving wheel back a bit as a first step.

duro yours is perfect as its right at the back of your boat you dont want to go any further back (trim tabs) I bet your probally lighter now on the tounge as you have taken out 900 plus lbs and replaced it with 600, if you can lift the front of trailer up by hand then your in trouble but im a betting man and I bet you wont be able to budge it!!!!

5-7%

I can't take any credit for the set up on my boat. I dropped the trailer off to the builder and he played with the set up until he was happy. At first I was a bit concerned that the bunks extended onto the pod mostly for the tab issue. As long as I bring them up before hauling it out it's fine and I like having all that weight having support. I have my boat in for the summer but still pull it a few times during the season. He nailed the set up and the boat loads easily by myself. The tabs and zincs don't have any weight on them and the weight on the tongue rides great. I have caught myself forgetting that it's there at times pulling it....lol

Attachments

• hoop1.jpg
    hoop1.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 152
  • pic222.jpg
    pic222.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 143
  • pic227.jpg
    pic227.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 146
  • pic235.jpg
    pic235.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 155
I was wondering the same thing about my trailer.. 570lbs cantilevered 3’ on a bracket attached to a transom designed for an inboard. Seem to me any bumps while trailering would place huge forces on the bolts holding the pod to the transom and the transom itself (regardless how well it’s reinforced). I would feel much better if my trailer is modified with additional supports for the pod.. not sure how to do it yet tho

I just checked my boat today and the weight wasn't that bad with new motors. They are going shift axle back a bit.

I would just leave it like is. The trim tabs would be an issue so agree with that statement.

I just checked my boat today and the weight wasn't that bad with new motors. They are going shift axle back a bit.

I would just leave it like is. The trim tabs would be an issue so agree with that statement.
Note that the bunks extend underneath the pod

Attachments

• bunk trailer.jpeg
    bunk trailer.jpeg
    581.9 KB · Views: 107
So picked my boat up today after podding. Won't do that again. With pod hardly any tongue weight. Have to move axle back looks like.

Was a scary ride back from Port today.
I can imagine!
I think it would be sound advice for anyone acquiring a new(even just to them) boat and trailer set-up to actually measure axle and tongue weights. Don’t take It for granted that a dealer will have things properly balanced either.

I can imagine!
I think it would be sound advice for anyone acquiring a new(even just to them) boat and trailer set-up to actually measure axle and tongue weights. Don’t take It for granted that a dealer will have things properly balanced either.

I was going to move winch up but it looks like that won't work as I would only have three rollers supporting boat and pod. The 4th would not support anything. Wonder of eventually putting bunks on rear that extend may be good idea.

I am taking boat to get some final things done at pod fabricater so maybe they can figure out a solution. I will just put weight at bow before bringing it too them...

I was going to move winch up but it looks like that won't work as I would only have three rollers supporting boat and pod. The 4th would not support anything. Wonder of eventually putting bunks on rear that extend may be good idea.

I am taking boat to get some final things done at pod fabricater so maybe they can figure out a solution. I will just put weight at bow before bringing it too them...
I thinks bunks would be the answer. You could configure so the bunks would support the pod as shown in the set up

Attachments

• bunk trailer.jpeg
    bunk trailer.jpeg
    581.9 KB · Views: 24
I had to move my axles back on my trailer to adjust the tong weight, before I moved them back the thing would sway like crazy, 80 km an hrs was max, now I can do 120km and she is stable. But ya when she starts to go side to side it’s not a good feeling, specially when your wife is sitting besides you lol eyes bulging out like my chiwawa

Mine was a bunk trailer that didn’t lend itself to adjusting for weigh distribution. Axles and bunks were static because of the way mounting tabs were welded to the frame prior to galvanizing. I went with a whole new, fully adjustable aluminum trailer at significant expense but my boat not only balances properly now, it also has a lot lower center of gravity and towing is a breeze. Hopefully yours has u-bolt type mounts that allow for adjustment.

Mine was a bunk trailer that didn’t lend itself to adjusting for weigh distribution. Axles and bunks were static because of the way mounting tabs were welded to the frame prior to galvanizing. I went with a whole new, fully adjustable aluminum trailer at significant expense but my boat not only balances properly now, it also has a lot lower center of gravity and towing is a breeze. Hopefully yours has u-bolt type mounts that allow for adjustment.

Yeah its u bolt...

Well I thought I would give advice for guys that put a pod on.

For the last month for some reason I have been getting completely blown out bearings. I repack bearings and maintain trailer so wasn't sure what was going on.

This morning I basically grenaded a wheel off trailer. Completely wrecked axle.

For guys that are podding really look at your trailer. From what I found our 3500 axle in my case doesn't cut it. We're overloaded with the pod leading to bearing failure.

Just picked up a stronger 4200 lb axle trailer. Should have done that first place.

Last edited:
Back