Sooke reports - August 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Wolf is sneaky!! [}:)] I did manage to catch a glimpse of him the other day - when the fog lifted for a minute. Looks like his new spot to lurk is Whirl Bay. :D

Tight lines all.

Boys nows the time to get out there seems to be lots of fish to catch!!!!!!!! hunky dory brought in a 40.5 lber today very nice big buck go get em!!!!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

holy, sounds like sooke is the place to be to catch some fish. ive never fished sooke before or adventured out there. anyone want to take me out there? i can chip in for gas money and gear. i only caught one spring this year[V]

Must be picking up.
Even CH News (Channel 6) reported last night the fish were moving in and there for the fishing.
Buddy of mine was in Island Outfitters today and said there were lineups at the cashier.
Now if they'll just hold until Friday when I can get out....

Generally speaking, how long will the springs be moving through the Sooke area? Fished Sooke for the first time this past June and really enjoyed the area, picked up a few nice fish also. My boat is up in Tahsis right now and was planning on bringing it back early Sept. and was just wondering if they would still be in that area on a normal year. I know all these fish are rain influenced so just on average, when is it usually over in the salt for springs?

sssssh, what fish?

Went out mid week to beat the weekend traffic. Was a time when mid week meant only a handfull of boats, but there was 40 plus boats doing the loop at the trap shack alone.

Fishing can be great in September.
There is usually a late run of big white springs that come through in mid Sept.
The last couple of years I have experianced a short lull after the stub nose fish go through and then a run of long snout whites. Also some big coho running through.
Couple years ago I took a friend out third week of September and told him I can't promise anything as the fishing had died off. We then had an amazing day with a our limit of Springs from 20-32lb and a couple of huge northern coho. We also lost a few fish. It was one of my best days of fishing. We were at the trap and there was hardly any other boats around.

Tips

Ive been getting quite a few of whites as well especially the big ones today got 3 of them 24 lb range the fishing is really good right now hope it lasts just a little bit longer

Good luck Wolf

Blown out of Renfrew on Monday , came back to the trailer with son at Otter Point and fished that area , turned out to be a good move took 3 springs over 30 lbs(1- 31 lb white) and another 2 of 22 and 27 lbs respectively.
Depth was consistent at 62 ft , white Krippled anchovy glow heads and Sooke special flashers , pinned 14 pulls out to the downrigger and speed was 2.6 against the tide and 2.9 with the tide.
All fish taken around half way through the flood.

Cheers

AL

how did everyone do on friday late afternoon, that is after the whales left, i had to get off water by 6pm but still pulled in , mid 20's, ok for 3 hrs out, heard the later bite has been great, any truth to this

Was out Friday from noon til 6:00 PM, 1 sniff, no fish.
Launched out of Cheanuh, worked our way west, when the whales (and half a dozen whale watching boats) arrived, went out to 500 foot contour looking for sockeye. Again nothing.
What the h... Must be doing something wrong. Tried everything from pink squirts to coyote spoons except for fresh bait (some cute salesgirl at Island Outfitters talked my fishing partner into purple haze hoochie over top of a pink squirt, hence no anchovies). Depths from 16-130 feet on the downrigger.
Didn't see much action occurring on other boats.
Lotsa boats out.
Maybe next week.

Made short work of it this morning.
Went out solo. Lines in the water at 6:15, lost a sockeye and boated a 22lb and 26lb by 7:30.

Flat calm, no fog, good bite = perfect morning!

Tips

It was on fire at Otter this morning[}:)]. Limited on springs by 9:30....... 11, 15, 20 and a 22lb. Also picked up a small Sockeye and released a spring around 6lbs in amongst the keepers.
Off to St. Jeans it goes:)

Jason

what depth are you fella's fishing ?
also, any particular teaser heads working better
that the rest ?
i'm at otter for a week next saturday, and will
need all the good info !

quote:Originally posted by Tips Up

Made short work of it this morning.
Went out solo. Lines in the water at 6:15, lost a sockeye and boated a 22lb and 26lb by 7:30.

Flat calm, no fog, good bite = perfect morning!

Tips
Hey Tips... were you in a red/white Monte Carlo wearing blue shirt @ the trap? I was in Campion explorer 185- two tilly-hat guys... we had a 28 ande a 15.
Cheers. goalie.

ANyone launch from Jocks 1st thing. I put in there at 5:20am and it was low....low...low:(. Had to put the trailer in the mud and paddle the boat out a 100 or so feet to get the motor down. Sooke reallllllllllyyyy needs another launch[B)].
R.S. I got all my fish at Otter between 55 and 75 feet on anchovie glow heads and Betsie flashers.
I'll prolly be out there next Saturday again. U can email me later in the week if u want any more info or help jm.clarke@shaw.ca

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back