Seasport skipper 19 podding project

Thanks Ed. I’m about to remove the bus heater from my boat that works off the engine cooling system. I was thinking about a diesel heater. Do they hook up to the heat venting system in your boat?

Thanks Ed. I’m about to remove the bus heater from my boat that works off the engine cooling system. I was thinking about a diesel heater. Do they hook up to the heat venting system in your boat?
I left my buss heater in as it is under a cuddy cusion and blows thru vents at my front windows. Diesel heater was installed by prior owner (planar) it did not work so I chucked it and installed a cheap Chinese one.

I left my buss heater in as it is under a cuddy cusion and blows thru vents at my front windows. Diesel heater was installed by prior owner (planar) it did not work so I chucked it and installed a cheap Chinese one.
Can you have the diesel heater blow thru those vents?

It can. As mine was installed by the last owner it was put under the passenger seat. There is a pvc tube going to where my original buss heater was. Going to t into that and will have heat blow into the buss heater compartment this warm air blowing on the windows. Buss heater will stay for added fan speed

It can. As mine was installed by the last owner it was put under the passenger seat. There is a pvc tube going to where my original buss heater was. Going to t into that and will have heat blow into the buss heater compartment this warm air blowing on the windows. Buss heater will stay for added fan speed
I’ll look into that. Sounds like I may need to keep my buss heater just for the fan.

Great project,as you know i have the same boat with a 200 Suzuki on factory bracket.The V6 Merc will be tons of power for the boat,lots of extra torque when needed.Just be very sure the pod builder compensates for the extra weight to maintain your self bailing deck.I was thinking of going with a full hull extension pod with swim grid and integral kicker mount but have fine tuned mine enough to eliminate a lot of the porpoising.But your for sure doing the right thing,you should be very happy when all done.The fish deck is really big without the engine cover.I'll be watching your progress and you might convince me to do the same to mine.
Did you think about moving the batteries forward to deal with the porpoising?

After careful consideration I have decided to pod my Seasport skipper 19 and go to a single outboard with kicker. I reached out to some of the guys on this site who’s opinions I respect and using their advice and recommendations I now have the basic game plan.
The current motor and outdrive is the Volvo Penta 4.3L V6, rated at 190HP with Volvo Duoprop DP-C outdrive. The motor has 1550 hours on it and has served me quite well. Kicker is a 1999 Yamaha 9.9 which still runs nicely.
I am going to go with a hull extension aluminum pod. Whiskey Creek Marine formerly E&D will build the pod. Power will be a Merc 225 V6 DTS with 30” leg (hopefully Stizzla will ok that). Kicker will be a Merc 9.9 EFI pro kicker. Hydraulic steering (Seastar) and Lowrance autopilot system.
I’m now starting to pull things apart in preparation. Leg is off. Next is getting motor ready to be pulled. Not sure what to do with the motor. Don’t know if it’s saleable as is or part out or someone will rebuild. Motor ran well all summer. Likely needs new heat exchanger, as I’d been losing some coolant. Also been 5 years since I’d changed the risers.
Here are a few pics of boat etc.
View attachment 111454
Stoked for you.... dibs on buying it when your ready to sell..

I'm still thinking about that,probably do it during the winter months.I've been busy glass powerwashing off the old bottom paint down to original gelcoat.Going to start fresh with interprotect and 2 coats of Micron CSC.

He won't need to move the batteries if the plan is to go with a full hull extension. I've had both - a simple step up pod and a full hull extension. The step up pods create unstable water flow to the engine and also a physical cantilever action that results in the porpoising issues. One solution is to put a dol-fin on the engine...or just go with a full hull extension.

Here's the hull extension on my Grade 265 Express. It follows the hull lines providing smooth water flow and a lot of additional floatation to support the engines.

Attachments

• IMG_2512.jpeg
    IMG_2512.jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2513.jpeg
    IMG_2513.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2508.jpeg
    IMG_2508.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 66
He won't need to move the batteries if the plan is to go with a full hull extension. I've had both - a simple step up pod and a full hull extension. The step up pods create unstable water flow to the engine and also a physical cantilever action that results in the porpoising issues. One solution is to put a dol-fin on the engine...or just go with a full hull extension.

Here's the hull extension on my Grade 265 Express. It follows the hull lines providing smooth water flow and a lot of additional floatation to support the engines.
That looks great. Lots of room to put things on the swim grid. How is your boarding ladder attached? Do you like it?
In regards to batteries forward, I believe Macro was commenting on Rayvons porpoising issue. He has the stepped type bracket.

Last edited:
That looks great. Lots of room to put things on the swim grid. How is your boarding ladder attached? Do you like it?
In regards to batteries forward, I believe Macro was commenting on Rayvons porpoising issue. He has the stepped type bracket.
Roger that on porpoising issue - thx. There are 2 basic choices for ladder mounting. The version I have mounts under the swim grid. Another mounts above. Not sure there are any major benefits of each, other than the topside version takes up space on topside of the deck. I've never had occasion to actually use this reboarding ladder - other than its a safety requirement for commercial operations. I did need to use the ladder on my other vessel to rescue a kayaker in Barkley Sound. That alone made it worthwhile to have a ladder.

If you are still looking for design considerations, always happy to let you take a look at mine. She's at home in her shop for the winter.

Back