scotty drive belts

scott craven

do you guys carry a spare belt in your tackle box ?
seems to me, they are about 20 bucks for a spare
had one break once, and they replace no charge, however it does not
help you when you're out on the chuck...

I carry a spare now,had two go this year . but if one does brake you can always just keep switching them had to do it up in nootka.About 12 bucks at screaming fish and fly in nanaimo .

I carry spare everything.
Belts, weights, cable, connectors, prop, impeller, spark plugs.
Half my boats storage is packed with repair materials.
At one point I even had three spare drive belts for downriggers. Good thing too, as someone lost both of theirs somehow during a derby.:D

Really blue how did that happen bet you the guy was sure happy to see you with sooooooooooooooo many spares LOL LOL

But any certified scotty rep will replace them for you if you live in vic take them right to scotty there are using different ones that are supossed to be better and last longer so far one whole season on mine.

Good luck Wolf

One of our last mornings fishing this year, out of telegraph, we get out to the fishing grounds and just about to let down the rods when my son says "hey dad, this downrigger isnt working". Thats weird. It went down but not up. Open it up, and someone stole our belt. In my opinion that is one dirty move, luckily they left us the other one, and we landed both springs that morning with just a weight, but that is a dirtball move. Good thing everyone was nice and lent us one till our trip was over.

My Cannons have no belts that I know of.What is the advantage of belts?

I agree..no charge to replace the belts? But I have had local tackle shops tell me that they are not a warranty item and I needed to buy a replacement....
Any opinions on this?

Gotta carry spares,that is how we travel up n down this coast[}:)] and not spend our time running for parts,spares etc..No-one likes to breakdown[B)]

quote:Originally posted by brisco

My Cannons have no belts that I know of.What is the advantage of belts?
maybe that's an advantage to using Cannon's[8D]
the belt is an integral part of the Scotty downrigger, and from time
to time they break requiring a replacement.

I can let you know of one dissadvantage with the Cannons,the knob on the spool.It will catch the net,your clothes,fishing line etc.! Its good comedy untill you lose the fish.

I stripped two belts(had spares I am a spare-aholic) last season while my fishing pals stripped none.I use 15lbs. cannon balls and they use 12 lbers.Switching to 12 lbs easier on the riggers and still get ya down to the fish!!
kronic

brisco

just keep the net away from the nobs. Ok I have to admit that I have done that a few times but never lost a fish doing it. I do love my cannons and I have had both but the cannons don't need all the maintaince.

Blue

With all those spare parts how do you get you boat up on a plane? :D

Does anyone know where i can service my Scotty electric downriggers in Vancouver area?

Many thanks

am I correct thet Island Outfitters does them here in Vic >>>.Or should I take mine to scotty ????I ended up with the older 2 belt style , is there an update ???? to the single belt ????

I guess this is kinda hijackin

sorry

quote:Originally posted by Barba

Does anyone know where i can service my Scotty electric downriggers in Vancouver area?

Many thanks

Berry's Bait and Tackle has repair clinics every now and then---free of charge etc. etc.

or......

you can send to Scotty if you can't afford the wait for the next free clinic.

Some of the local shops can help you out no problem! :)

Thanks Mag,
avery few days i'm in Richmond so
i'll try Berry's, very nice and polite people.

I took my short arms out and got the extenda-arms put on. They stuck on new wire, replaced all of the broken sh**t that I broke on them for a flat fee of $128 each for the upgrades. Warranty work is free for the original purchaser (So make sure you said you bought 'em new, not that they came with the boat). They are very simple to fix yourself, having had just about everything in them apart on my lap at one time or another on my boat, but you probably won't have all of the nice little parts that Scotty puts on 'em for free. Just go right to Scotty, they are in Sidney. Go up the highway, take the next left after the airport turn-off, then go right on Henry. Scotty is in a HUGE building (You can't miss them, it says Scotty on it), and they will "pimp your downriggers". Only takes a few days too, I know some of the repair shops like to stick little labour chaarges and stuff in there. When Scotty is done with 'em, they look great, they even put new warning stickers on mine.

Back