rigger question # 5

Hay Justin the boat is in the water and it is a long run .[HOME]BACK TO THE DOCK

Thanks for the info, Maddog. I never leave my downriggers on the gunwale anyway, but that's good to know.
T2

Something like Corrosion Block http://www.learchem.com/ should do the trick for keeping the lock working.

It's made in Canada too, not like the Scotty locks which are made in China.;)

There is a guy in Campbell River making them too he had an add in BC Outdoors a few issues back maybe still does.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

those locks are cool, what was the cost?

they are pricey,although i bought mine wholesale:D the chassis lock including longer bolt was $23.95
(retail was quoted $41.95)
they are stainless but the tumbler is brass
they recommend giving them a shot of wd40 once a month

Another bit of information, the chassis lock will only work with
electric riggers made in 2000 or later.
Scotty do not have a lock designed for the older models (pre-2000)

I have the Scotty locks securing my downriggers.I also have the swivel mounts so you need the the two lock setup on each downrigger.
In my opinion the lock securing one of the screw bolts holding on the swivel base is not very secure at all (weak link).A mini hacksaw and you could cut the three turning knubs off of the bolt and your downrigger is gone!!!I think they are okay over night when your moored at a marina but I use Krypton bike lock cables when towing or on the trailer!
kronic

Kronic I saw those as well but I have a good solution as well on my boat I leave my swival bases on as well. but I bolted mine on but on 2 of the bolts I used a bolt with an allan key with and then used a nylock nut on it so if someone is going to steal it the better have a tool chest as I have 2 different nuts and bolts on it.

Good luck Wolf

i dont have locks on my swivel base's. all i did was get a big wrench and torque all of those black nobby bolts down really, really tight. so far there still on my boat and impossible to loosen by hand or by pliers

Great idea Wolf!! Made me think of the mcGuard bolts I put on my new kicker when my other new kicker lasted 1 week and was bolt cuttered of the stern!I think I might see if one of those puzzle bolts might work better for me!
kronic

Hey mongoose if you put them on I bet I could tourge them off no problem LOL

Wolf

No problem guys seems to work for me but I think a thief is more interested in other things on a boat then a swival base but if you make it more difficult for them they may pass you over remember a thief wants to get in quick and out fast if its going to take time there not going to bother there are other boats in a marina that dont even lock stuff.I have to put every thing away on my boat and lock it up I have had flashers and teaser heads even cannon balls go missing on my boat.

Good luck Wolf

No but you can hook up an a simple alarm to the plug and as soon as you unplug the scotty plug and break the chain of current the alarm will sound. very easy to do. Any cheap alarm will work.

Good luck Wolf

SO I have decided to go with the stainless bolts and not the mounting nobs,,7.50 $ for 2 ,, un no

bolts 40 c each

ok so Wolf , did you use a washer under the head of the bolt ?
the ones I get seem kinda big , headed of to Rona in a bit might look for smaller ones

quote:I wonder if those Black boxes could be rigged to zap would be thieves!!!! Electric fence around the hole boat!
kranky kronic
Best treatment of gear thieves I heard of was back when I was still commercial fishing. Guy I knew was sleeping on board his troller at Fishermen's wharf in James Bay. He got up to take a leak and saw a couple of punks rowing down between the fingers, snipping leads off troll boats. He snuck into his lazarette, got a nice 60 lber and took it up to the bow of his boat. When these two yahoos came under the flare of his bow he stood up and told the 2 very suprised thieves "You forgot one" and tossed it down into their plywood dinghy! The cannonball took out half the bottom of their boat which sunk quickly under the weight of all the stolen lead. :D
Gaff in hand, he herded them up the ramp while his deckhand called the cops. Next morning he got a diver to go down and get everybody's lead for them. I have to chuckle every time I think of that story. Little bast#$%@ got what was coming to them.
T2

Back