Port Hardy / Winter Harbour / North Island Report - Spring and Summer 2011

Gas was 149.9 the last week of June.

Great picts SF.

Might be out there this weekend, if not then the long weekend and a few weekends after that.

Thanks for the update.

Cheers

SS

Leavin tomorrow morning for 8 days at Winter Harbour, almost got everything ready to go. What channel is everyone on, I think it was 6 in years past anyway is anyone else gonna be there? I am going to check this before I leave.BRS

Spring Fever's "gong show" and travelling Circus is coming to a fishing spot near you!! I hear the crew is hi-jacking the Captain and taking Spring Fever to Off-shore Bamfield next week for a change of pace. See you in WH in 2 weeks-in the meantime Tight Lines and if you have a chance " Come Over to the Dark Side" ---we use Anchovies!!! No we are not getting Pink shirts!!

BRS, Barnacle Bill will be in WH late on the 17 and leaving 20 jul, will always monitor ch 16. May be back in on the 22jul also. Have a safe trip, and hope to hear from you, and maybe meet up for a cup of coffee?.........BB

PORT McNEILL / BROUGHTON REPORT: just got back from 4 days out of Port Mcneill. Pea-Soup fog on Wednesday made it a bit tough. Scratched a teener spring at Flower by mid-morning but saw no nets from about 10 boats by the time the fog cleared at noon. Fiddled around Donegal and Bold Head, but not much to talk about so I dipped into the Broughtons just because I'd never been there. Thursday and Friday was for exploring, just fished the tides. I'd hoped for something to talk about up around Eden, Baker and Bonwick but other then 15 million rockfish, quiet as death....

The old timers I talked to said spring fishing in the Broughtons is like the sound of one hand clapping..... or the sound of one wheel spinning; take your pick...

I never saw a serious boat with serious gear in the water until I got back to Swanson on Saturday morning... I guess that tells some kind of a story....

Maybe some of you guys have had better experiences then me, but from what I heard, the headwaters of the Wakemen, Kingcome, Ahta and everything in between has been decimated by logging---all that's left is a scatter of pinks, chums and coho but the springs are just a shadow of what they once were. I heard the lodges all send their boats towards McNeill---

Depressing.

I ended up Leaving my boat in Port McNeill---the plan is to fish Port Hardy last week of July.

Lately, Wade and David have been kind of quiet about what's going on up there.......

Is silence golden?

Last edited by a moderator:
Went up to Hardy on Sat as the fishing around McNeill is scratch fishing, one place, one time might be good, but then nothing. Not sure what is going on, but it is a strange year around here.

Hardy was a different story. Headed out and immediately hit a teener that we let go, soon after we hit another spring that was putting up a good fight, then suddenly turned and when straight to the rocks....soon after the line broke and a happy seal lion had a free meal. For the next hour I proceeded to lose three fish....I finally has enough and told my buddy to bring them in....soon after that he had a nice 7 lbs coho to the boat, then a fat 32 lbs spring, then my turn and I caught...and boated.... a good size sockeye, which I released. Then I hit and finally boated a 33 lbs spring. The really weird thing was that all the fish that I lost or realeased were on one side of the boat, then the 32, the coho and the 33 plus two good hits were on the opposite side of the boat. Only the sockeye was on the earlier hot rod. Both had the same teasers but diff flashers and were 6' apart in depth. Then the bite stopped so off we went whitefish fishing. A good yellow eye, 36 lbs and 20 lbs ling and a couple rock fish finished off a good day.

Interestingly enough the creel gal was very interested in the sockeye and even more interested in the lost fish to a seal. She had a few questions about it and took some notes about it. Never even asked if we caught a hali, although the next people she was interested in the hali they had released.

P7160023.jpg

P7160026.jpg

P7160027.jpg

Hopefully things will pick up around McNeill.

Cheers

SS

Last edited by a moderator:
Beauty fish, SS, and good story telling, too. Nice to hear some good news about that part of the world. Sometimes it's easy to get the impression that the Pacific side of the Island is the only place that's consistent these days. From the sound of your trip, maybe it's only because that side gets more effort and more press.

Great job Ken... Now you are batching for a bit, all the more reason to spend time in da bateau! See you this weekend.

Just got back from Telegraph cove. Weather was great Flat calm the best salt water I have seen before in my life!!! The tide was fast so that was new it was my first time in the area. Fished for 4 days first 3 days were slow and we only got on 30lbs spring at flower island and a couple of Hali. The last day was great many hook ups lost some broke my line on one but came back with 4 fish that day. One of the fish we caught was a 14lbs coho and that fish put up a wicked figto ht. On the last day Flower Island was good and a strong Coho bite at Cracroft PT. We stayed at a floating cabin called Crabin Cabin it has a website if any wants to take alook. The cabin was great it was like brand new and the owners were very nice. Crabin Cabin is worth a look!!!

Nice Jac...I am headed out tomorrow to the same area for 5 days...Hopefully we may be hitting a bit of a run of fish.

TIDE CORRECTIONS: Port Hardy and Slingsby Channel

Does any one know the tide corrections between Port Hardy and Slingsby Channel?

Tough to find tide information for Slingsby/Cape Caution etc

Thanks in advance for any help or referrals to appropriate reference websites etc

Back