Plastic bead to protect rod tip eye

eriks

I lost a couple full rigs recently on the west coast- everything gone (bait, flasher and bead swivel). There was nothing left on my line.
On the first occasion I thought that maybe my palomar knot let go, then on the second time I thought maybe I was sold bad line when I had my reels reloaded this spring.
Then when we were packing up our gear at the end of our trip, one guy said that his line was badly frayed at the end by the bead, and he was thinking that's what caused the breakages.
Anyone else finding the same thing? Do most people use beads at the end? Are there alternatives? I'm all over it now, and will obviously stop using them if I notice anymore damage to my line.

Never ever used beads think they're some kind of false economy if you reel hard enough Yes whatever you're using will slam into the tip-top and damage the ring but so will hard plastic if you're that ham handed and Yes they could ruin fishing line if they broke off a chunk somehow.

I knew someone who used some kind of soft plastic (foam?) bead but to my mind it was a big stupid thing to have on your line/added to in-water resistance for sure-he never lost gear because of it though not that I know of.

I am a believer in beads. I retie my ends fairly often but have never lost my end rigup so I stick with the bead. I use a small green or red one.

If I have inexperienced people on board I like to put a bead on the rod their using because I'v had a lot of people try to reel the flasher swivel through the top guide on the rod, I'v seen rods broken that way. But when I'm by myself I go beadless because generally when I see the flasher I realize it's time to stop reeling

I use beads too but I think you should re-tie your knots every once and a while. Every day if your catching. After a big one is landed. First thing in the morning.
I also use a clevis and blade when buck tailing it it is surprising how that little thing wears on the line. One basic rule in fishing.....re-tie your knots!

Edit: I love using the rubber beads for this but their not easy to find.

Yup, rubber beads. First used them with slip bobbers then the light bulb went off....or on as it were.

I like to use a bead, not necessarily for myself as I am always aware of my gear but it's not always myself on the rod. When you've got less experienced people in the boat and we all usually do it's a bit of nice insurance. No it doesn't cure the problem it just helps. Especially when you are running long leaders and knuckle buster reels people have more than enough to think about when a 20# fish is next to the boat. Equipment isn't cheap these days and I like to run nice and above average cost equipment so why not take every precaution we can to protect our investment.

I think you need to check your guide inserts on that rod, if one is cracked or damaged it will cause your symptoms........

I use a glow Tee bead, rubber buzzbomb stop then swivel.
I find it helps stop the goo from fouling the swivel and stops the newbies from busting out the tip guide insert, and oh yeah you can never have too much glow lol

I think you need to check your guide inserts on that rod, if one is cracked or damaged it will cause your symptoms........

Also, beads that are too small have a small hole are hard on knots. Bead has to have large enough hole to go right over the knot and not wear on it. Beads too small or knots too big!! Need to check it out... Never a good thing loosing expensive gear.

I use the bead also, but cut off and retie it often. Ive heard that the bead wears on the line when you are zipping across the water with the rods stored in the rocket launchers.

I was told by a salty old fisherman to use small gum puckeys used for hoochie rigs. Rubber beads would work also. Make sure you place the puckey so that it is aerodynamic. This has work well for me to protect the # one eye on my rods.

I had some quick changes a couple of years ago with split rings instead of welded rings that I lost several sets of gear and fish on until I noticed one of the rings opening up. I NEVER buy them with split rings now and have not had that problem since.
Unless you regularly get close to your rod tip with your gear I'd skip the beads and check your gear.

the golf tee beads is what i have been using for the last few years
and have no problems
any beads is going to protect the knot not cause wear on it ......

gummy puk's tend to ride over / pull through the swivels

Depending on the Rod tip that you have, just slamming into the end of it will damage the eyelet. My buddies Rod has ceramic eyelets which are amazing but he got a little over excited and slammed his Sampo swivel into the end and it cracked it. Lost three jigs after that not knowing what had happened. I'd love to find those cone beads somewhere locally...

Back