PINCH ME

Not sure if this was noted, but if you are on 5hrs of engine operation with original engine oil - I'd recommend changing the oil & filter. Always a good idea to change oil after initial break-in, but especially so in this case where it has been sitting for a while.

The Suzuki break-in procedure is a bit fussy and takes a while, but the results are worth it. I was pretty faithful to the break-in procedure on my DF40, and it never consumed a drop of oil. Use the recommended EC-Star engine oil (its a blend, they do not recommend full synthetic).

Here's a trick for changing the engine oil. The bleed screw on the side of the motor is recessed a bit and oil will run down the side of the leg and make an unholy mess. Take an old plastic pop bottle and cut yourself a small square of plastic (maybe 2" x 4"). Curve the thin/flexible piece of plastic so if conforms to the recess around the drain screw and forms a trough/funnel to directs the oil outward as it drains (do this before taking off the drain plug). Position your container accordingly. This will prevent it from running down the leg. For the filter, its mounted horizontally so there is no good way to do it - just pack the area with rags first.

Last edited:
Back