Okanagan sockeye 2024

We just need that Enloe Dam out so we can have summer run steelhead back to the Similkameen...
Unfortunately the evidence is there never was steelhead or salmon runs above Enloe as the waterfall at the dam site would normally be considered impassible nor is there any recorded evidence of those either species in Canada beyond stories of 'large fish' in the Similkameen.

Unfortunately the evidence is there never was steelhead or salmon runs above Enloe as the waterfall at the dam site would normally be considered impassible nor is there any recorded evidence of those either species in Canada beyond stories of 'large fish' in the Similkameen.
I’ve read the same. They’d have to build a fishway to get above that. Lots of habitat above there….lots of dollars though.

If the Similkameen had good habitat it would have more and bigger trout. The water gets hot in the summer and in winter there is a problem with anchor ice. Our warming climate may reduce the anchor ice but the summer temperatures will just get higher. Some of the tributaries may have good habitat. This idea has been around for some decades and maybe 30 years ago a Government biologist thought the river may be able to support a few hundred steelhead. That was when ocean survivals were much higher. I'd imagine the number would be much lower. On the plus side the regional native bands are in favor of establishing & supporting runs of salmon and steelhead.

Interesting report. Heading your way.

All rests on water temps now. Interesting detail in there about thermal barrier forming at 68-69°F. I've never seen a number hung on it before.

Back