Okanagan sockeye 2024

Region 8 - Osoyoos Lake - September 7, 2024

Effective 00:01 September 7, 2024 until 23:59, September 22, 2024, in the portion of Osoyoos Lake north of the bridge at Highway No. 3 (North Basin), you may retain two (2) sockeye per day.
--Will be interesting to see what shape they are in now as been in Fresh water a month or more

Region 8 - Osoyoos Lake - September 7, 2024

Effective 00:01 September 7, 2024 until 23:59, September 22, 2024, in the portion of Osoyoos Lake north of the bridge at Highway No. 3 (North Basin), you may retain two (2) sockeye per day.
--Will be interesting to see what shape they are in now as been in Fresh water a month or more
I guess we will see what they are like smoked and basted with maple syrup …..

Salmon opening is like getting a moose draw, but different. 😝 See you at the boat launch at quarter after 5. There’s good looking fish in there for sure. Be kind to the ones you catch, and the red and pink ones will bolt straight toward the bottom when you let them go.

does the band have a boat out there netting fish? does anyone know if you can buy direct from them if they are netting??

does the band have a boat out there netting fish? does anyone know if you can buy direct from them if they are netting??
I’ve read that there are some selling at the petro Canada in Osoyoos, but you need to connect with them on Osoyoos connect. I think the fish have been too deep for the seiners net as I have only seen them out once this year.

The early fish have already begun to spawn up in the creeks. This pic was taken on Shingle Creek, about 5 km west of Penticton (flows into the river channel between Okanagan amd Skaha).

Shingle Creek is a major focus for sockeye hatchery fry release, due to its length, accessibility and lack of development. Removal of a disused irrigation weir in 2015 opened up 30 km of largely undisturbed streamside habitat, and the biologists believe it will become one of the most productive fish streams in the entire Columbia basin.

20240914_123337.jpg

Back