Okanagan sockeye 2024

Dang. My big boat isn't ready anyways, but I was going to bring my costco inflatable and be that guy out there in the chance that it would open. But I'm up 19th-26th so it likely wasn't going to happen anyways. I heard there were some Socks in the lake already though.

Dang. My big boat isn't ready anyways, but I was going to bring my costco inflatable and be that guy out there in the chance that it would open. But I'm up 19th-26th so it likely wasn't going to happen anyways. I heard there were some Socks in the lake already though.
the US guys get them every year, we will be lucky to get them again in another 5 years.. the natives will get them though its their "right" lol

the US guys get them every year, we will be lucky to get them again in another 5 years.. the natives will get them though its their "right" lol
Easy there big fella. They haven't yet announced if they'll fish. Some years they decline altogether if abundance is low.

Is it too late for an opening? Or is it pretty much a wash for this year? Been a few cool nights and some rain in the hills so I’m still hoping.

I know the food fishery is going on for the natives. With 750k+ over bonneville and 520k through rocky reach, i foresee an opening but probably not till the 2nd week of august.

I didn’t see the commercial boat out this week while I was up there. Not sure how many actually made it to osoyoos. A nice sized bass passed through my legs at the beach though lol.

It’s cooling down and maybe some rain coming so maybe the fish can make it up. It’s probably a hay day down south

I just spoke with the ex DFO area chief and he said.
“They are all sitting in Wells Pool likely until September so may not be an opening here despite the record return of almost 800k”

Sounds like she’s all weather dependent at this point. It’s cooler this week but then high 30’s again next week. Looks like it could be another year of canning springs again…..😅

I just spoke with the ex DFO area chief and he said.
“They are all sitting in Wells Pool likely until September so may not be an opening here despite the record return of almost 800k”

Sounds like she’s all weather dependent at this point. It’s cooler this week but then high 30’s again next week. Looks like it could be another year of canning springs again…..😅
Yep this is the same story I'm getting. There are some sockeye in Skaha already, the early returners that headed straight up before things got hot.

Over 750K passed Bonneville, more than 400K over Wells and counting. Rain dance would be appropriate at this time.

Raining for 20 hrs in the Okanagan before return to warmer weather will the Sockeye move from Wells or is it to late.

Some will move. Some already have. Can't see a rec opening now, FOC will protect these fish.

Caught 6 in Skaha. At depths from 35 to 60 feet hitting 4 different Apexes. DFO will have a hard time convincing me there aren’t enough fish in Osoyoos to open a sport fishery. Nights are cold. Top water in Skaha is 67.3 at 530 in the morning. I would imagine the channel is a little cooler.

Caught 6 in Skaha. At depths from 35 to 60 feet hitting 4 different Apexes. DFO will have a hard time convincing me there aren’t enough fish in Osoyoos to open a sport fishery. Nights are cold. Top water in Skaha is 67.3 at 530 in the morning. I would imagine the channel is a little cooler.

Well there are definitely fish here, that is not the question - it’s how many are in good enough shape to reproduce and, in turn, sustain the system for our future. It’s not only DFO in the equation, it’s the US, ONA and DFO that have to all agree on decisions made (which isn’t easy). The spawning grounds can only handle (I believe) 80,000 fish, then any more fish returning is an excess to the system. Thats when we get to slay the extra fish, if there is enough of an excess of fish returning. They come from the Columbia, about a 1000km swim! And the fish are monitored/counted as they pass through areas like dams through the US and Canada. Further, the system needs a minimum of 30,000 in good enough shape to spawn to sustain the system, and in turn maintain the rec fishery for years to come. Through their monitoring (as mentioned above) they have to decide whether or not there are 30,000 plus fish strong enough to live through the spawning process before they die. DFO (and other stakeholders) WANT there to be a fishery for everyone, that’s kinda how they make their money….

Catching and releasing or even getting them up to the surface (they can’t survive the temperature differences in the thermocline of the water) reduces their chances of making it to spawn by 80-90%, which also has to be considered when opening a rec fishery. Hence poaching them is probably not something you want to brag about on here or I guess to anyone who likes fishing for sockeye

You’re calling me a poacher? Released every fish I caught, including the 4 Kokanee and 1 rainbow that day as well. I follow the fish every year from the start of the run up the Columbia on the Washington State Dart website so I know exactly how many fish there are. If conservation is worried about someone hooking a salmon in Canada then they should completely shut down all fishing from Osoyoos to Okanagan Lake. Apparently we are still allowed to fish for big rainbows in Skaha. If you’ve heard otherwise, Johnny, let me know.

You’re calling me a poacher? Released every fish I caught, including the 4 Kokanee and 1 rainbow that day as well. I follow the fish every year from the start of the run up the Columbia on the Washington State Dart website so I know exactly how many fish there are. If conservation is worried about someone hooking a salmon in Canada then they should completely shut down all fishing from Osoyoos to Okanagan Lake. Apparently we are still allowed to fish for big rainbows in Skaha. If you’ve heard otherwise, Johnny, let me know.
You’re right- I shouldn’t jump to conclusions and start with saying they’re being poached by you. I assumed that you were targeting them, from the way your post read. My experience is they typically only bite little pink hoochies or small pink apexes behind flashers. Thanks for the clarification that you weren’t targeting them; I’m glad that’s not the case. I see a lot of guys targeting them around here, which is sad to see. Conservation has been out fining people $1200 for salmon fishing lately. The numbers reflected in the US don’t necessarily reflect what we’ll end up with here in Canada, since they often hold in the US with warm water temps. This should have been a record year for us at 850,000 fish en route. Environmental factors, among others, determine how many fish actually return to our Canadian systems.

Back