Nootka Report

quote:Originally posted by Jencourt

I am heading to Nootka on the 29th.Will be launching at gold river and running up to Tuta campground and marina.This is my first time in this area and am wondering if there is any trouble to watch for on the run up.I do have a chart.Thanks in advance for any info.

No place I would rather be (FISH ON)
Yes, there are a lot of things... ! (Correction... check your chart) :D
Do you have GPS? Makes life a lot easier!

Watch your tides when launching... it is best around 3 (plus) foot tides. It is quite shallow by the airplane float, be careful there. You will see on your chart the depth will show 1 foot, it isn't kidding! Coming out of the inlet at Gold River, make sure you turn west and not south, but the chart will show you the right direction? The westerlies build up in the afternoon and it can get fairly rough! There are two islands in the inlet... your chart will show both! Stay to the starboard side of both (keep the islands to your left), depending on the tides, the second can get a little tricky if you are on port at low tide? Once you get out of the channel and turn north, remember, "red, right, return" as you are going north and you will see a couple of "red" buoys, but if for some reason you get turned around?

Thanks BB! [:I]

Thanks for all the reports holmes, just got back from Tahsis on Sunday. We ended up fishing down the bottom end of Nootka all weekend. Caught lots of fish, tons of coho and smaller springs which is good to see, largest spring was a nice 35#. Also got into alot of dogfish when we were cut plugging[}:)][}:)]. All in all a great trip and can't wait to get back up there for a week on Aug.15

Thanks for all the reports holmes, just got back from Tahsis on Sunday. We ended up fishing down the bottom end of Nootka all weekend. Caught lots of fish, tons of coho and smaller springs which is good to see, largest spring was a nice 35#. Also got into alot of dogfish when we were cut plugging[}:)][}:)]. All in all a great trip and can't wait to get back up there for a week on Aug.15

I have a questions about the regs. On the outside you can keep 2 Chinook, but on the inside it is either closed to chinook or has maximum size limits. Doed this mean if you go outside and catch a couple of big chinooks you will not be able to come inside and fish if the weather blows in? Or if you are multiday trip how do you manage this?? I guess what I am asking is can you fish an area closed for a species you have on ice onboard which was caught in another area? Oh yea holmes where is your restraut, is it CC?

Thanks Jody

I have a questions about the regs. On the outside you can keep 2 Chinook, but on the inside it is either closed to chinook or has maximum size limits. Doed this mean if you go outside and catch a couple of big chinooks you will not be able to come inside and fish if the weather blows in? Or if you are multiday trip how do you manage this?? I guess what I am asking is can you fish an area closed for a species you have on ice onboard which was caught in another area? Oh yea holmes where is your restraut, is it CC?

Thanks Jody

copro, go back to page 12 of this thread and look for the dfo links, the chart in the link is colored, different sizes of chinook per area, some area's inside you can keep one or two above 77cm chinook. when i fish outside, and then inside, i have my fish marked so i can explain to fisheries where certain fish were taken.

I just got back from a weekend of fishing all inside nootka sound. Worked from camel rock to the wall, two of us got 6 nice springs and 1 coho, I was with my wife this trip, so we slept in, and did not fish to hard. Most people at critter cove said this year is starting better than last, I would have to agree from what i saw. Going back again on thursday till sunday, will be fishing inside and out.

snagger

copro, go back to page 12 of this thread and look for the dfo links, the chart in the link is colored, different sizes of chinook per area, some area's inside you can keep one or two above 77cm chinook. when i fish outside, and then inside, i have my fish marked so i can explain to fisheries where certain fish were taken.

I just got back from a weekend of fishing all inside nootka sound. Worked from camel rock to the wall, two of us got 6 nice springs and 1 coho, I was with my wife this trip, so we slept in, and did not fish to hard. Most people at critter cove said this year is starting better than last, I would have to agree from what i saw. Going back again on thursday till sunday, will be fishing inside and out.

snagger

Snagger, good report, however, what did you have the best luck with, bait, or hardware?? Hope to see you there on thursday???............BB

Snagger, good report, however, what did you have the best luck with, bait, or hardware?? Hope to see you there on thursday???............BB

Ill be there thurs. as well, dont forget to say hi, or whatever... Ill be in contact with most of the guides out there if youre looking for a current report Ill be on72, fishlifter dave. Im in the Pursuit with the blue top. If youre someone I may have rubbed the wrong way, please go easy on me... Im not that bad of a guy[:p] Cheers!

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Ill be there thurs. as well, dont forget to say hi, or whatever... Ill be in contact with most of the guides out there if youre looking for a current report Ill be on72, fishlifter dave. Im in the Pursuit with the blue top. If youre someone I may have rubbed the wrong way, please go easy on me... Im not that bad of a guy[:p] Cheers!

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

For anyone that cares I'll be there next Monday in my homemade boat:) I'll sure try to find you for info fish lifter.

[img=left]http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userpics/12747/thumb_xDSC01379.JPG[/img=left]

For anyone that cares I'll be there next Monday in my homemade boat:) I'll sure try to find you for info fish lifter.

[img=left]http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userpics/12747/thumb_xDSC01379.JPG[/img=left]

I care, and Ill be there. I sometimes turn 72 off if theres too much traffic, but its on most of the time. Good luck!

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I care, and Ill be there. I sometimes turn 72 off if theres too much traffic, but its on most of the time. Good luck!

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Well, thanks for caring, I'll be around for 10 days starting next Monday. We are taking the Anacortes ferry on Sunday, so should be fishing by Monday. My boat sticks out pretty good, most folks recognize me real easy after they see me the first time. I'll look for the Pursuit,

Where is Tuta Marina? I've found critter but I can't find the other.

Thanks Jody

tuta is a few miles past cougar creek. Just ask the person at the gold river gas store, theyll probably show you a map. Youll have no prob finding it. Its about 45mins to an hour by gravel road from Gold River, keep an eye out for off road logging trucks.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Hey Dave theres a good chance i'll be at cougar this weekend, i'll look for ya on 72, so u can tell me where the fish are. haha

Are you sure you want Tuta? I've stayed there a few times over the recent years and this place gets worse every year. It literally is sliding into the ocean and nobody seems to care. The showers are a site to behold, docks that are falling apart, freezers that can barely keep fish cold, food waste and garbage strewn about and last year a few regular visits from the bears (until the owner shot one and left it on an adjacent beach for a few days). You might want to check for room availability anywhere else

The road to Tuta has improved in recent years but that's all.

Zeke

Back