New Salish 33' Liquid Metal Custom Build

Yes, the builder is designing everything (with my input) and the marine architect is involved throughout. Pronautic who specialize in marine interiors is doing the interior.

I looked up Pronautic and saw on the website the galley they just did for an 85 footer.

I was pleased to see that we have the same toaster in our kitchen as the one selected for that galley. :D

1652709700429.png

Fantastic.

Screw it, I'll ask. Feel like sharing the approximate budget?

Now you know that's not fair.

Our esteemed friend has already discussed the build budget with his partner and used the words, comfort, safety, and phrases like "time together", "Stizzla won't be aboard, ever", "I promise I have budgeted everything with a 17.8% inflationary overage factor - so the number is final, etc. etc.

Rain City, Didn't you learn anything from Godfather 1,2 and 3. -No paper trails , "Fredo, no one outside the family knows the family's business, and not a punk like Moe Green".

We all have a rough idea what this build will cost and sharing a build thread is a big decision , and it is best to leave the money part out of it.

Now you know that's not fair.

Our esteemed friend has already discussed the build budget with his partner and used the words, comfort, safety, and phrases like "time together", "Stizzla won't be aboard, ever", "I promise I have budgeted everything with a 17.8% inflationary overage factor - so the number is final, etc. etc.

Rain City, Didn't you learn anything from Godfather 1,2 and 3. -No paper trails , "Fredo, no one outside the family knows the family's business, and not a punk like Moe Green".

We all have a rough idea what this build will cost and sharing a build thread is a big decision , and it is best to leave the money part out of it.

I had to try. Well said ;)

I have been on several Liquid Metal builds. Quality work. My only criticism is the lack of planning for the electronics. With the Nordic windows you have less visibility than regular windows, but liquid metal just puts the radar/gps units on the dash further decreasing your ability to see forward.
Try to get them to do a integral dash with the electronics incorporated into the dash . Good luck and congratulations.

Does the triple 300 boat plane out on two?

Do you want room for a kicker? Like a 25 high thrust in between twins? Maybe a big boy kicker for tuna?

Command bridge! LOL

If you are going to be doing some cruising then I would plan to have a davit on the roof for a 9'6 dinghy.
I would also either add solar panels or wire in for it. 2 x 170 watt panels and 4 AGM golf cart batteries will supply most of what you need for power.. Use Victron battery monitors and solar charges to monitor your batteries and power use on your phone.
Not sure if it is feasable but a side door is pretty nice for getting on and off the dock.
I would agree with bringing the bow rails farther back. At least half the distance back to the cockpit.
Rocna anchor - 15Kg and 100 feet of chain at least.
Put a freezer in some where. Even a small one makes a big difference while cruising.
Ultra leather for the uphosltery. Wears really good and easy to clean
I won't be doing much cruising and not much long term but considered the roof dinghy option. I will be putting a roof rack that will allow for my offshore life raft, crab & prawn traps etc up top. Also, the ability to strap a few kayaks.
The side door is an option but the rear swim grid is very wide and flush with the sides of the boat so just as easy to step onto the swim grid and come into the rear door.
Yes, I am going to include a small freezer.
Thanks for the other ideas.

Looks like an amazing hull and if I would you I’d book a tuna trip with a couple of the big Aluminum boats. I know one guy who has a big JaxsonCraft, his second one so I think he has it dialled in. I haven’t gotten out with him but could connect you. One suggestion would be to extend the bow rails the full length of the cabin, so add a couple feet to just past the rear cabin windows. I was scrambling up to the bow a bunch today to put the halibut bow line down and running a front rod. If I had your size boat I’d have more confidence and would be on the bow in worse weather and my kids are starting to head up there and my bow rails aren’t anywhere near long enough to keep us safe.
Yes, if you could connect me with your friend, I would love to see his boat and add to the idea bank. PM me. Thanks.

Don't be afraid to add a 3rd tank or a little more volume to your tanks. You don't have to keep them full, but you may regret tank size and suffer range anxiety from time to time. Boat may also run happier with one tank gated off most of the time (weight distribution assuming they are one in front of the other). Alcocks 34 had some serious tankage.

Also, more power doesn't necessarily mean more fuel. A 3500rpm cruise is sure nice on your mains and offers you the grunt when your pushing that 15k in less than perfect conditions.

Is yours 36+ pod or inclusive? Or is it more of a euro transom?
I believe that it is inclusive of the pod.

I have been looking forward to your build.

I saw that the interior cabin floor was plywood in the spec sheet

Interior decking is plywood with Raptor soft, traction decking

Are you going with the plywood or have 100% Aluminum decking and Flooring. We have aluminum flooring/decking all the way through the boat. I didn't want to have to replace the plywood at some point.

One thing I wish we had done is build in a second fuel tank that we could have used for longer trips north. We have a 125 US tank and having a second 50 in front of the main tank plumbed to run directly to the motors would have been nice.

Regarding the windows Robert built templates for our windows and had them made them oversized and taller . The window angles matched the boats. The windows were our only delay. Sea Glaze had the templates in July and we got the windows in January.

We are happy with the Lone Star Anchor system. I am going to add some more chain because I have the room to do that. We have 30 feet and I am going to double that.

We had the roof rack sized to fit two prawn and two crab traps . I wish I had spent more time thinking about how the inflatable will be stored on the roof and I would have figured out a place to mount and store a small 2 HP kicker in the cockpit. We don't have the room to do that on this boat.

The new Furuno displays were too deep for our dash's capacity. They are much deeper front to back and with the shortages we didn't have the time and luxury to fit everything in as I had hoped. I wish we had done a mock up.

We really, really like the higher cockpit gunnels . PM me if you are coming over to YVR and we can go out to the boat and you can see how they fit
Hey Bill, thanks for inspiring me to post the build. And thanks for the ideas. Will have a further conversation with the builder on the flooring and discuss windows. My reluctance to go with a dinghy was more to do with outboard storage than anything. I will take you up on your offer to see your boat in YVR. Will let you know when I can get over. Thanks.

If I was building a boat and planning on doing any long trips and or tuna fishing I would want a way broader range then that just my opinion but you won’t even be able to tuna fish 2 days in a row without fueling when there out far
Hey Bill, thanks for inspiring me to post the build. And thanks for the ideas. Will have a further conversation with the builder on the flooring and discuss windows. My reluctance to go with a dinghy was more to do with outboard storage than anything. I will take you up on your offer to see your boat in YVR. Will let you know when I can get over. Thanks.

Thought that I would post a few more photos of Hull #2 (not my boat) and talk about the cockpit.

Planning to install Burnwein universal mounts - at least 6 of them. I understand that they have adaptors for Scotty riggers, rod holders, BBQ, etc. Let me know your feedback on these.
The first pic shows the rear fish box. Insulated.
In the second pic, you can see the deck box on the port side that will also be insulated. I am going to make it a bit smaller to provide easier access to the back corner. I am concerned that going as big as the one shown would limit my ability to play/net a fish. You can also see a bit of the rear deck box. Will also have some insulated fish boxes (if there is room) in the floor. Seems like an overkill for fish boxes but fishing for tuna requires immense amounts of ice.
Some of the additional features that I will add will be a small bench seat with tackle storage underneath, in front of the sliding glass door.
Also will have both salt and fresh water wash down so I'm not rinsing tackle in the main sink.
IMG_4165.jpeg

IMG_4161.jpeg
IMG_4163.jpeg
IMG_4166.jpeg
IMG_4168.jpeg

If I was building a boat and planning on doing any long trips and or tuna fishing I would want a way broader range then that just my opinion but you won’t even be able to tuna fish 2 days in a row without fueling when there out far
I am designing it for a 300 nm range. 80 -90 miles is pretty much the extent of how far I am willing to go to find them. So, should have plenty of range as fuel burn while actually fishing should be relatively low. I may idle out at 10 knots overnight and start fishing early but not any scenario that I would plan to be fishing two days in a row. I'm not that hardcore. Nonetheless, I think I will err on the side of larger tanks and can always pack more ice in coolers.

That deck box would be a hard no for me. They can't do in-floor boxes? I'd rather carry a half-tote or two or coolers on deck for tuna trips than have a box like that permanently on my deck IMO. I would definitely go for a rooftop rhib dinghy with a small crane davit on this size boat, but I love exploring. You can leave the small outboard on the dinghy with the crane davit.

I will send you my contact into

If you go coolers and by Yeti, they make a pretty good tie down kit.

I had Robert tap holes into the deck to attach the coolers.

You need to know what size coolers you plan to use so the guys can mount the loops correctly. They bolt pretty flat on the deck. When you come see the boat you will see how they are mounted. They are often out of stock.

1652730936636.png

That deck box would be a hard no for me. They can't do in-floor boxes? I'd rather carry a half-tote or two or coolers on deck for tuna trips than have a box like that permanently on my deck IMO. I would definitely go for a rooftop rhib dinghy with a small crane davit on this size boat, but I love exploring. You can leave the small outboard on the dinghy with the crane davit.
Yup, nice beautiful big deck and you won’t be able to get up along the side. Would drive me nuts. I don’t even put on side mount rod holders for this reason everything has to be flush mounted.

Definitely reconsider it.

But absolutely incredible and beautiful boat by the way, big congrats on the build.

Back