Lost Grady/White

One more pic of the Grady White before it hit the rocks off Otter Point near Sooke.
DSCN5152.jpg

Hell of a story ...so far. [8D] Thanks for the images. Ouch!

Is that a u.s or Canadian chopper above the boat?? The guy is in the water swimming towards shore for his life ! Where is coast guard in a life and death emergency? There should of been a jumper or emergency basket sent down to him !!? Chopper is only there for an arial show? Maybe they saw that he was a surfer on his surboard in control paddeling towards shore...? Even still, heading towards a rocky shore with high surf.. you can be smashed into the rocks and killed... he should of been rescued from the water, though things can happen pretty quick out there, seconds count..

There are no permanently staffed Coast Guard stations in the vicinity of Victoria and Sooke. The response would be from the volunteer Coast Guard Auxiliary out of Sooke. So by the time they get the call at home or work, scramble to the dock, get the boat going, ,and get out there; things unfold

quote:Originally posted by totally tyee

There are no permanently staffed Coast Guard stations in the vicinity of Victoria and Sooke. The response would be from the volunteer Coast Guard Auxiliary out of Sooke. So by the time they get the call at home or work, scramble to the dock, get the boat going, ,and get out there; things unfold

Real nice rescue program we have here on the west coast !! That's real assuring you can realy on Coast Guard to bail you out... ! LOL..
You would think with all the boat traffic we have on the west coast Canada would have a better rescue program in place...

Hi guys , That is a Canadian Sea King patrol Helo , while it is equipped with a hoist the helo it is not staffed for Search and Rescue, only patrol. The Helo responded to the incident because someone on shore saw a person waving at the passing Helo and called the Coast Guard. The boat was equipped with a VHF , but the operator did not call a distress or did not know how to use it. The local Coast Guard Auxiliary Unit from Sooke responded as soon as it was reported by the Helo. When they arrived the guy was already ashore.
I guess the moral is have a VHF and know how to use it and have a handheld backup. (not just a cellphone )!!!!!!!! and a anchor and oh yeah some common sense.

Victoria Marine Communications and Traffic Services (MCTS) centre located at Patricia Bay, Sidney, BC handles the VHF distress calls, yet it seems to be more common that a US CG SAR chopper flys in from the Air Station Port Angeles from what i have seen and heard on ch 16 over the years.

When the boat i was on off Qualicum went down many years ago, it took about 30 minutes to pluck us out of the water with the hovercraft out of Vancouver.

CFB Comox provides our Sar responses with Six CC115 Buffalo Aircraft and five CH-149 Cormorant Helicopters, 442 Transport and Rescue Squadron carries out search and rescue operations based out of Comox.

Chances are that the US boys or your local fisherman will be first on the scene, unless RCMP marine unit or the Navy guys are in the area. A CG station with paid full time SAR Techs would sit nice off Albert Head[8D]

Hi Tailspin , The Canadians and Americans have a reciprocal agreement for Search and Rescue in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. If they have a helo ready to go with crew they send it , if we have a boat or helo in the area and they need it ,we go.
The system we have works pretty good and is a good deal for the taxpayer/boater. The reality is that no Search and Rescue Crew (paid or not) will reach you in our area in under 30 minutes. So be prepared and use your common sense. beemer

Just to add , Our Search and Rescue responders are not based in Comox . We have 4 local Coast Guard Auxiliary Stations ( Sooke , Victoria, Oak Bay , Sidney ) who respond to over 250 incidents in our area yearly. If we need Canadian air support it comes from Comox or we can call on the helo from Port Angeles. All Coast Guard Auxiliary units are mandated by law to be on the water and underway within 30 minutes.(same as the regular Coast Guard).

As the world turns.......lol, A lot of stories coming out about this one [:0]

Might be time for a walk along the beach [}:)]

19 Wing Comox is where the Military Search and Rescue Squadron is located, in addition to the Search and Rescue Technician School.

I was wondering someone said alot of people so this unfold and no one tryed to help the Grady? I have got my self into some tight places and had people bail me out and I have done the same.

Might've been that no one else was nuts enought to be out there in weather like that?

battaglino

would you be out there in that weather in your boat? [?]
I would think anyone else going out to help in there boat would be putting themselves in the same position and could cause more problems for the coast guard

what was the wind forecasted for that day anyway eh?

Back