Top Selling Points for a GW 282?

kaelc

I'm helping my buddy with a video for his 282 Sailfish. What are the top 3-6 selling points for a bigger boat that can fish and cruise and has a cabin? I picked these out but I think it is too "boat/fishing speak"

I wrote these, but really I need to sell the dream.

59-square-foot cockpit. Room for 6-8 people with seating for 6 plus a table in the cabin.

A starboard transom gate lets you get on and off the boat easily, access the engines, land big fish or go for a swim.

Quiet 4 Stroke Yamaha Engines V6 Engines Cruise at 34 mph and Wide Open Throttle over 40 Mph

220 Gallon Gas tank, only fill up when gas is cheap

40 Gallon Live Well for Crabs or Live Bait when you go for Tuna from WA!

300 Quart Fish Box

True walkaround, the 282 has wide pathways to the bow and excellent non-skid

New Garmin 9-inch Chartplotter with Sonar Maps and Radar Dome and Fishfinder.

9 Foot 6 Inch Beam by 30 foot length over all, so Wide and Stable.

Cabin with two beds, full bathroom, fridge table and stove for weekend trips to the Gulf Islands or Desolation Sound.

1. Quality fit and finish/reputation
2. High resale potential
3. Limited quantity in BC market
4. Excellent handling boats in very rough seas
5. Easy to self service and repair by any handyman.

I think most people that are in the market for a boat in that category are familiar with the gradys and especially the Sailfish. It is a top choice for some charter outfits you could say. If your referencing the 03 282 that is for sale for $100k, i think there are a few reasons it isn't moving, one being the price but also the market seems to have fully slowed for sales in the 20-30' range.

I think most people that are in the market for a boat in that category are familiar with the gradys and especially the Sailfish. It is a top choice for some charter outfits you could say. If your referencing the 03 282 that is for sale for $100k, i think there are a few reasons it isn't moving, one being the price but also the market seems to have fully slowed for sales in the 20-30' range.
Yeah, everything sells if it is priced right. I'm surprised that pursuit has moved to 90k, I would think it would sell with those yamis.

The spring weather should help, but interest rates are damaging buyers and sellers.

Guides aren't really the target for the video, although they keep kicking the tires on the boat.

I'm blown away by what shoppers “think” they know, but the video is more selling the dream.

Not really a guide boat at all. Too much cuddy space for that. I had a 2007 282 for a few years with Yamaha F250s. Not much to complain about. Never felt unsafe at all. Got wet sometimes, especially when we had to trim down and just punch through tight, ugly wind waves, but it was unsafe. We literally had a river of water coming down the walkaround. Sucked for the guys in the bean bags. hahaha.

Selling points are that she will handle more than the occupants. The 9’6” beam is nicer than the 9’3” of the 232 and there is far more room for overnight sleeping. That midship berth is legitimately comfortable. Used it several times. Cruising speed is more around 28-30 mph with 5 aboard and fully loaded for tuna. That got us 1.1-1.3 mpg. The walkaround isn’t spacious, but it is enough. A very good compromise to keep the cabins and cuddy roomy. Access to repair equipment was reasonable, and we all know that bilge pumps, etc break, no matter who made the boat. Towable with a 3/4 ton truck. Lastly, it’s a Grady. Everyone knows they’re built well.

I own a 2004 Grady White 282 Sailfish that was re-powered with new Yamaha 250's.
I fish the West Coast and Barkley Sound from mid-May to mid-September and spend a ton of time on the Water.
I've personally owned many Boats in the past and fished on almost every Brand of Boat you'll see on the West Coast and I like my 282 Sailfish the best. The Pursuits and Whalers are the "Top Three" Boats for the type of Fishing and Boating I do on the West Coast.
I think anyone looking for this type of Boat knows exactly what their looking for and knows all the Pros and Cons, I really don't think a Video will help any potential Buyer.
I think the Grady your trying to help your Buddy sell has one major flaw and that's why it hasn't sold. I've had a number of people ask me about this Boat because they were interested in buying it and the same point always gets mentioned.
The Yamaha Motors have allot of hours on them and Twin 200's are under-powered for that Boat in my opinion. Putting new 250's on that Boat would be expensive as we all know.
I'm sure the Boat will eventually sell as the Hull, Trailer and overall condition look good for a very desirable Boat and there aren't many in BC to start with never mind for sale.

Yeah it’s interesting. I saw a set of those engines with 3,600 hours up for sale recently so they could have lots of hours left in them, especially since they have never sat in the water, have had the exhausts done. Some guys value them at 0$ and given what I have seen on the used market I value them complete with controls in the 15k cad range. Given they are the bigger block 200hp they push the boat well. He always sends me the US sailfish 282’s and he is priced the same as the ones in the US or cheaper, unless they are beat to s…t. Did the video and I think it looks good, really wanted to highlight the two berths but my editor missed that and it’s mentioned in the add.

That price seems really high considering the hours of the motors. In my mind they could last another 400 hours or another 2000. A gamble for 100+k

That price seems really high considering the hours of the motors. In my mind they could last another 400 hours or another 2000. A gamble for 100+k
Really high? What are you comparing it to? I’ve been looking, and haven’t seen anything comparable cheaper. If all someone cares about is having new power you can buy an older guided Grady 272 different boat in my opinion. I’m not a Grady expert but a pre 2000 hull seems to have more risk.

Really high? What are you comparing it to? I’ve been looking, and haven’t seen anything comparable cheaper. If all someone cares about is having new power you can buy an older guided Grady 272 different boat in my opinion. I’m not a Grady expert but a pre 2000 hull seems to have more risk.
Just doing the math in my head. That old of power to me is worth not much 15k? Then your paying 90k for the rest.

Fair comment. Considering an older BC Marlin is listed at much more with engines well off warranty, it comes down to what’s the hull, electronics, windlass etc worth. I’ve run the numbers and I can’t tell him to sell it for much less as replacing it under 100k is impossible if your time is worth anything and his is. Hope he holds onto it and I can convince him to use my tuna gear :)

Back