JUGHEAD Update & Pics

I hope the guy pulls off some manufacturing deal and gets them out to the general public. They look freaking awesome. The test video's sold me on them. They look real like plugs but with bait in em. What's not to like?

I hope FishWhisperer gets them made professionally.

If he does I would hope they would be made a bit more robust and stronger.

They appear to be a damn good lure in terms of action and fish attraction.

The ones I bought were "home-poured"....and while they will no doubt work, I still feel they are a bit "weak" in terms of construction strength considering the price paid for them at that time.

I hope the guy pulls off some manufacturing deal and gets them out to the general public. They look freaking awesome. The test video's sold me on them. They look real like plugs but with bait in em. What's not to like?
??????????

I bought some jugheads last year and fished them for hours. Including our big trip to barkley sound. They have yet to catch a salmon. I am sure that they catch fish but do they outfish the tried and true?

My homemade ones also broke and was never sent the smallest head which was the one i was going to use for squirts down here in Victoria.

Not to rain on Fish Whisper parade but thats my expereiece thus far. Had tried them on constance the other day as well as i am still hopeful.

JL

Since 1999 I've dealt with a great deal of people across the globe in my journey with Rod Raps. From the conception of Rod Raps to the design, research & development, source production, quality control, logo, UPC code, package design, boxing, labeling, over-seas shipping, storage, trucking, customs, lading, trademark, Int'l patent, copyright, corporate lawyers, knock-offs, trademark infringements, patent challenges, pricing, marketing, sales, insurances, distribution ...I may have missed a step or two but, you get the gist of it. I should have made a Reality Show...

With Jughead I expected pretty much the same ordeal but, I underestimated the instant popularity and the large demand. And not having a sizeable “nest egg” put aside, in haste to produce, I accepted the first offer of a partnership from someone I thought I knew very well. The results of which were much less than satisfactory.

As you all know, last year's production got bumped. I tried very hard to still get a few Jugheads out there by making them by hand. This proved to be folly. And this year, production got bumped again amidst company “restructuring”.

So here I sit with my patents and trademarks, trying to pull this off ...again. Behind the gun with a ton of confirmed commercial orders, countless internet inquiries and my distributors tapping their toes, wondering where the hell Jughead is.

Considering what I've been thru in the last couple years “raising Jughead”, any sane person would have thrown their hands up and walked away. I have thought of throwing in the towel many times, perhaps I'm not that sane. Jughead will be produced and available to the consumer, but not on a commercial scale this year. Ooooh the peer pressure...

I sincerely apologize to all who have been anticipating the arrival of the commercial grade Jugheads in local stores. And to all those who've purchased the previous hand-made edition, you will all still receive the first commercial grade Jugheads before they hit store shelves. I have your names and addresses on disc. You will receive the first commercial grade Jugheads.

Now, please read on...

After some lengthy, comprehensive research, I have discovered a way to make high-quality Jugheads without using a mold. That's right, no molding, mixing, pouring, tooling or toxic fumes burning my face off. In fact, I can make them much more durable, very high detail and at a quicker rate ...but not on a commercial scale as this new process still takes too much time to mass produce and is much too expensive.

Having stated that, this new process produces Jugheads from the CAD graphic. No bubbles, no flaws, in less time and it will cost less than making rubber molds and pouring poly-resin, like last year. This lower cost will directly reflect on the price. In fact, about 12.50 pkg.

So, before I gather materials and commit the time (and the old lady's nerves), I need to conduct a quick survey to see if the demand for Jughead is still alive.

Send me an email with the amount you plan to order to FishWhisperer@hotmail.ca. If the orders warrant production, I'll start pumping out Jugheads as fast as possible, day and night.

As I receive orders, I will classify them into "production blocks" and then personally reply with an accurate delivery date. Then you can decide if you still want them or not before paying. I don't want a repeat of the gong-show last year. Totally unexpected. Still don't feel comfortable about how that went.

I'll tally the orders on the 14th and let everyone know.

Last year, there was a default PayPal message that stated everyone's orders were on the way as soon as they ordered them. This too created issues as people were expecting their Jugheads delivered before I was even aware that they had ordered. The minute I started, I was immediately a month behind and then it snowballed. I got a little backed-up to say the least. Also, the overall quality was substandard and there was a limited longevity to the molds. Terrible experience.

“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new” - Albert Einstein

If anyone is having issues getting Jughead to work, there is an instruction video on YouTube at - http://youtu.be/BxC6NnMmwm4 showing a few different methods for rigging Jughead up.
The most important thing to remember is to make sure that, if you stick your hook into the bait/lure, there must be slack in the leader from Jughead to the hook (use a bead & toothpick), so as not to inhibit the swimming action. See the above video.

Colours Available: Blue, Green, Glow and Clear. Air brushed colours may become available, including Purple Haze, Blue Haze, Green Haze, Pearl Necklace, King Pilchard, Pepto Pilchard and Mack Daddy – all with UV option.
Will post pics when/if production starts.

4 sizes: SM, MED, LG and XL (see photo) 3 Jugheads of the same size per pkg , XL fits 2 per pkg (pre-tied Jugheads may also become available).
Jugheads.jpgJugheads 2.jpg

I can't really give an unbiased review of how well Jughead catches fish. When I go fishing I use Jughead, always. All species. With all types of rubber gear, baits, hootchies, etc. Compared to other products? Of course I test Jughead against other products all the time but, I'm not getting into a peeing contest with anyone. Marketplace longevity distinguishes the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. I just need to get Jughead produced and to market...

All comments and critiques are welcomed and encouraged. I look forward to all emails. It's all good. FishWhisperer@hotmail.ca.

Keep Your Rod Tip Up!

FishWhisperer

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you 3D printing them? That's the first thought when I read your post... Looking at those I would be interested on how you got those to work with out injection/blow molding...Especially that shape.

The first Jugheads were 3D printed at Camosun College. Amazing machine. I believe it's called a stereolithographic printer. Uses lasers to cure plastic resin at something like 25 microns per layer. Makes anything. Machine costs in the mid 6 figures and the plastic emulsion is about $3000 a gallon. Takes most of the day to print 1/2 dozen Jugheads at approx $25 each, not including the 3D scan and file build. Also, you need one of the brainiac kids in the Advanced Prototyping Dept there doing it all. - I mention this because it's quite difficult to get one of the little buggers to put straight time aside to do it. Busy young fellas, busy machine. Takes a week or so to get a days job done ...just sayin'. Don't get me wrong, they're a great group of guys, just busy as hell.
Of course you want to hover over them while they build it without imposing or getting in the way, which doesn't work. So, you might as well just leave them to do their work when they want to and not when they feel they have to.

I'm obviously not making them at Camosun anymore. Need some pretty deep pockets for those Jugheads. The 3D printing scene is evolving daily. There are lots of cheap models but if you want a really good replicator you will pay for it. Also, it would serve you well to have a CAD cert hanging an your wall.
I think Staples is coming out with a cheap one called CubeX. Plug 'n play, user friendly. But its quite a slow machine and the detail is less than what I would use.

Happy to read you found a way to produce this product without the severe side effects of your home built version cause no bait/hoochie holder is with that risk again, will be interested to see the finished product in a purplehaze pattern .

Off topic a little but this is the technology I am watching very closely...I would love to get a meachine. 3D laser sintering. Exactly like 3D printing except you can create a part in metal... Can you imagine what type of boat parts could be made an reproduced?

http://gpiprototype.com/services/dmls-direct-metal-laser-sintering.html

Ya, laser sintering is the ultimate. NASA engineers have been using it for almost 2 decades now. Sending tools and parts to the space station via satellite transmission. Amazing technology. Can print different metals including titanium. Tools with moving parts like a working crescent wrench with no assembly. Just print and start tightening bolts. Can even make it rainbow coloured if you like. The future is here.
The consumer desktop printers that are coming out are mostly all thermalplastic extrusion models. They spit out hot plastic in micro layers at about 100 microns. Most of these 3D printers are very slow and leave all the layer marks as they build from the bottom up. You also have to build a "raft" under the subject to suspend it from the build platform. An acetone vapour bath in post production will smooth out a lot of the ridges but its less than perfect. The best thermalplastic extrusion model I've seen is the new Lulzbot TAZ. Spits out the plastic at 75 microns at 6.9 inches per second! Detail is very good too. Impressive machine. Can print ABS, PLA, wood, polycarbonate, nylon... I read they're going to be able to print chocolate soon.
Then there's the stereolithographic 3D printers. Wow. Can't get them off my mind. 25 microns, amazing detail, amazing possibilities. The only prob is the enormous cost for these systems and the Acrylate Photopolymer Resin ...until now. Check out FormLabs new unit. Can't get one until they're released in August tho. I'm assuming/hoping the cost of the resin will lower. I also have one of these bad boys on order - http://formlabs.com/

Bit of a plug for AJ in support of his effort here. He's counting up emails until next Friday the 21st to determine if he has enough business to make another production run. Order early, order often.

Did i read that wrong , did he say the cost is about 25 each?, please correct me if i am wrong,he has not responded to my thread comment so i was unable to ask him. Guess im not worthy even though i was ready and willing to purchase some jugheads.
:confused:

Did i read that wrong , did he say the cost is about 25 each?, please correct me if i am wrong,he has not responded to my thread comment so i was unable to ask him. Guess im not worthy even though i was ready and willing to purchase some jugheads.
:confused:

lol. "Slow down there pilgrim" - John Wayne.
I didn't read a question in your response Jeffy. Thought you were waiting to see the purple haze first... I will answer these questions tho...
No, Jugheads do not cost $25 each. My first prototypes at Camosun cost me $25 each to make on their 3D printer.
I can make 'em now for $12.50 per pkg of 3. Blue, green, glow and clear with UV option. 4 sizes. Possible air brushed options if orders warrant it.
And although it wasn't a question, I will respond with, yes Jeffywestcoast, you are worthy ;)

Also, thanks for the shout-out TenMile. I appreciate it.

Keep your rod tip up!

FishWhisperer

Right on..haha..well you can count me in for a pack of three in med size in green. get them suckers into production cause there is ALOT of us waiting to givem a whirl..didn't mean to come off abrasive..just sufferin real bad with a case of "SPRING FEVER" going to try running bait for awhile in the silva bay Derby ! i will PM you with my email to let you know im serious..thanks for the reply cheers Jeff:p

I'll try a pack for sure. I make similar at home by cannibalizing plugs and teasers. They usually work great but they are a pain in the butt to make. Better yet get some into Wise Buys on the Colwood strip (where I shop). They totally support and encourage the small guys. If your products good, they will push it for you and back you 100%. Fisherman are like golfers. They are always willing to give new equipment a go.

Hey FishWisperer, good job on developing these, they look awesome. Sign me up for a pack of three in med size in green too. Just let me know when and where I can pick up these beauties ...

Back