Humboldt Squid- Garry Cooper show

Tried off the hump in 800 fow but was getting blown around too much even with 16 oz of lead . Moved in off lions bay and our drift finally layed down around 745. Next 30 mins we hooked two in 800’ , down around 650. Both doubled the trevalas over pretty good . I’m not sure if I was reeling too fast or what I was doing wrong but they both popped off with about 200’ to go . Will be back

Tried off the hump in 800 fow but was getting blown around too much even with 16 oz of lead . Moved in off lions bay and our drift finally layed down around 745. Next 30 mins we hooked to in 800’ , down around 650. Both doubled the trevalas over pretty good . I’m not sure if I was reeling too fast or what I was doing wrong but they both popped off with about 200’ to go . Will be back
Progress.

Can you feel them hit, or is it more of change in the weight of the line?
It was unmistakable when I got that one. I was wondering how subtle it was going to be, it wasn't at all.

I would recommend a pretty light rod though. It is after all only a 1lb animal.

You don't need huge jigs. I was using the little 3" long ones from Amazon. Also you can legally daisy chain as many as you want. I ran 5, limited by they length of rig I could lift into the boat with the rod I was using.Screenshot_20230530_082429.jpg

It was unmistakable when I got that one. I was wondering how subtle it was going to be, it wasn't at all.

I would recommend a pretty light rod though. It is after all only a 1lb animal.

You don't need huge jigs. I was using the little 3" long ones from Amazon. Also you can legally daisy chain as many as you want. I ran 5, limited by they length of rig I could lift into the boat with the rod I was using.View attachment 92905
I've got a bunch of that size rigged up that way. Never got to use it in the 5 years I've had it. Very interesting

Tried solo for 90 minutes in a 4 spots north of Bowyer and between Bowyer and Sunset Marina. No love. Worked the 600 to 300 water column. I’ll keep trying. I wonder if they are here year round or if a certain time of year is better than others?

Attachments

• 34169D62-4268-4008-92C7-34715D02B63C.jpeg
    34169D62-4268-4008-92C7-34715D02B63C.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 27
Back