hoochie / anchovie rigging questions

• Thread starter Thread starter smatty_mcfly
  • Start date Start date
Thanks for the extra tip guys. I was out this morning for 4 hours but all I got was a dog. I ran 2 lines off the downrigger (thx Tsquared) and was fishing at 150/120 feet all morning. I was trying to run the lines 25 feet above the bottom. I also had a dummy green flasher running on a 12 feet leader 20 feet below my lines. deeper line was green flasher, herring special. shallower line was green flasher, army truck hoochie with mylar removed. Was making 1.2 mph on GPS the whole time (i know this can be misleading because of the tide and wind, but I don't have a proper speedo).

To Digger: I have been fishing Snake bay, Mclean bay, in front of the Porpoise Bay Provincial Park, and the wall between 4 mile point and mclean bay. All I want is 1 fish to prove to myself they're in this damn inlet! :-)

Thanks also for the fishing 'naked' tip demco99. I'll try that if I run a 3rd line.

smatty

Thanks for the extra tip guys. I was out this morning for 4 hours but all I got was a dog. I ran 2 lines off the downrigger (thx Tsquared) and was fishing at 150/120 feet all morning. I was trying to run the lines 25 feet above the bottom. I also had a dummy green flasher running on a 12 feet leader 20 feet below my lines. deeper line was green flasher, herring special. shallower line was green flasher, army truck hoochie with mylar removed. Was making 1.2 mph on GPS the whole time (i know this can be misleading because of the tide and wind, but I don't have a proper speedo).

To Digger: I have been fishing Snake bay, Mclean bay, in front of the Porpoise Bay Provincial Park, and the wall between 4 mile point and mclean bay. All I want is 1 fish to prove to myself they're in this damn inlet! :-)

Thanks also for the fishing 'naked' tip demco99. I'll try that if I run a 3rd line.

smatty

Have you tested the voltage on your boat to make sure you don't have a "hot boat"? If your natural voltage is too high it could scare fish. DO you have a Black Box??

Remember, "When the Fish aren't Biting...the Fish aren't Biting!!"

Have you tested the voltage on your boat to make sure you don't have a "hot boat"? If your natural voltage is too high it could scare fish. DO you have a Black Box??

Hi islandphile:

Nope I haven't tested the voltage and don't know how to go about that. Also, what is a "black box"?

thanks

Hi islandphile:

Nope I haven't tested the voltage and don't know how to go about that. Also, what is a "black box"?

thanks

Smatty - Can be an issue with an aluminum boat (especially if you have electric start). If you just have an outboard and that's it, you should be fine. 2 things to do though incase. 1, replace the zinc anode on your motor (underneath the bottom fin typically - only a few dollars) 2. Use a rubber snubber on your downrigger instead of your clip - they are about a foot long, usually green non-conductive material (like clothes line) and come rigged at your favorite fish store. That is supposed to isolate any hot charges coming off your downrigger. Also helps to use a vinyl coated ball or one of those new enviro-balls.

To test, you just get a voltmeter that reads from 0-1 V, lower your rigger a few cranks and troll normal speed (away from other boats), then put the positive on the downrigger wire, and the negative grounded to the boat edge - look for a reading from 0.5 to 0.7 - if you are outside of that, you may have a problem.

Black box are considered by many a money pit depending on what you have. The only case they would save you is if you have a big aluminum, electric start, gps/sounders all sorts of electronic crud, and a rusted away anode on your engine! All they do is dial in whatever voltage reading you want as you can dial in a certain voltage to actually attract certain species (ie. sockeye like hot around 0.8). They usually run in th $200-$400 range.

Check the pro-troll website for a thorough description and do a search on this message board or many others for it - tons of discussions on it.

Trolling deep apparently has very little effect though so you should be fine either way - just need to find a place with more fish - anywhere south of Campbell River has been awful this year on the east side, so it probably isn't just you!

Smatty - Can be an issue with an aluminum boat (especially if you have electric start). If you just have an outboard and that's it, you should be fine. 2 things to do though incase. 1, replace the zinc anode on your motor (underneath the bottom fin typically - only a few dollars) 2. Use a rubber snubber on your downrigger instead of your clip - they are about a foot long, usually green non-conductive material (like clothes line) and come rigged at your favorite fish store. That is supposed to isolate any hot charges coming off your downrigger. Also helps to use a vinyl coated ball or one of those new enviro-balls.

To test, you just get a voltmeter that reads from 0-1 V, lower your rigger a few cranks and troll normal speed (away from other boats), then put the positive on the downrigger wire, and the negative grounded to the boat edge - look for a reading from 0.5 to 0.7 - if you are outside of that, you may have a problem.

Black box are considered by many a money pit depending on what you have. The only case they would save you is if you have a big aluminum, electric start, gps/sounders all sorts of electronic crud, and a rusted away anode on your engine! All they do is dial in whatever voltage reading you want as you can dial in a certain voltage to actually attract certain species (ie. sockeye like hot around 0.8). They usually run in th $200-$400 range.

Check the pro-troll website for a thorough description and do a search on this message board or many others for it - tons of discussions on it.

Trolling deep apparently has very little effect though so you should be fine either way - just need to find a place with more fish - anywhere south of Campbell River has been awful this year on the east side, so it probably isn't just you!

Smatty one more thing,Try not to spend a whole lt of time trolling against the current.The fish are facing the wrong way.The guys who wrote in gave excellent advice.One more thing are you marking fish on the finder?

Smatty one more thing,Try not to spend a whole lt of time trolling against the current.The fish are facing the wrong way.The guys who wrote in gave excellent advice.One more thing are you marking fish on the finder?

quote:

Hi Guys,

So I tested the Voltage, it reads .95 V on the downrigger line. Is this bad? I know the Sechelt inlet is slow but this is crazy, hours and hours and hours and nothing. And other guys are catching in here. If this is a bad voltage, is there a quicky and dirty fix for now?

thx

quote:

Hi Guys,

So I tested the Voltage, it reads .95 V on the downrigger line. Is this bad? I know the Sechelt inlet is slow but this is crazy, hours and hours and hours and nothing. And other guys are catching in here. If this is a bad voltage, is there a quicky and dirty fix for now?

thx

Well, I'm not the expert by any means, but I'd say 0.95 is way too hot. Have you tried the things I suggested in the previous post? Most of those would cut it down. Read up on the below link and you'll find the best route on finding the problems and correcting them!

http://www.apexlures.com/blkbox3.html

Well, I'm not the expert by any means, but I'd say 0.95 is way too hot. Have you tried the things I suggested in the previous post? Most of those would cut it down. Read up on the below link and you'll find the best route on finding the problems and correcting them!

http://www.apexlures.com/blkbox3.html

Yes thats a bit hot try what deewar said with zincs you can also put extra zinc on the boat its self bolt it right on to it start small and keep adding also take of the plastic scotty downrigger clips and put on the s/s ones also make sure the cannon balls are from a good store that uses pure lead in there weights also see if the weights have a brass loop or some other metal i have seen just old plain coathangers used to tire weights for lead

Good luck Wolf

Yes thats a bit hot try what deewar said with zincs you can also put extra zinc on the boat its self bolt it right on to it start small and keep adding also take of the plastic scotty downrigger clips and put on the s/s ones also make sure the cannon balls are from a good store that uses pure lead in there weights also see if the weights have a brass loop or some other metal i have seen just old plain coathangers used to tire weights for lead

Good luck Wolf

If you follow the steps from the pro troll book listed above you will end up with the right output off your boat. I have a black box but after folling every thing they tell you in the owners manual as listed above in a previous post, the first trip out I felt great I had a black box only to find out LOL before I turned the box on my boat had dropped from 1.1 to .64 no need to use a the box.

Cheers ME

HAPPY HOOKIN !!!

Back