boat buying advice

essyoo

Hello all, first time poster here. Tried doing some searching of the archives but couldn't find any existing threads answering this question (I'm sure it's been covered, probably just using the wrong keywords) but I apologize if this topic has been beaten to death.

We're new to the Nanaimo area and would like to get a boat this year. Mostly for fishing/prawning but also something decent for general exploring. Not my first boat by a long shot, but as someone who's spent most of his time fishing lakes and rivers, boats for the salt are a bit of a blind spot for me. Would like something that could hold up to six, but the average max would likely be around four plus a dog. With kids and a wife on board, some kind of room for a head/porta-potti is really the only must-have. We're also likely limited to the used market given current prices. So my questions are:

- any models/years we should stay away from? Seems like Explorers and Trophys might be suitable but I know nothing about them.
- outboard vs inboard? It appears most folks prefer outboards or are in the process of removing their inboards and podding. should I steer clear of inboards altogether? I've only ever owned outboards in the past.
- aluminum vs glass? likely a pepsi vs coke argument here, but any standout pros or cons with this?
- minimum size? I'm thinking around 18-20' at the moment for size, but does that limit where we can go with it? (not looking to go offshore for tuna, but don't want to be limited to sheltered water either)
- any other opinions or thoughts I should consider?

I should also mention, not looking for a project boat. Normally I'd be all over that but our house has enough projects that need doing I need to be pragmatic about how much time I'll have left over for rehabilitating a soggy old boat.

thanks in advance!

To accomodate 6 people you want something bigger than 20 ft. probably. Aluminum is out at that price.You will find I/O's at a better price than outboard power.Trailer or dock kept? Your budget may have to go higher to get something reliable these day's.You might find a 22-26 with an I/o cheaper than an 18-20 with outboards on trailer.The 18-20 size is what most people want and they sell fast.

I would look for an 18' glass with newer outboard power and accept that you will be limited to 4 people. Hard to find these days.

get $90k, add it to your budget and get a 22' hewescraft.
there is no such thing as a deal on a boat. you can put in work, put in money or compromise on functionality. pick any two.

4 plus a dog comfortably is in that 22 foot range Maybe 18 feet with a pod?

A Boston Whaler Conquest or Ventura 21 footer would be worth looking at from about the 2000 era but would likely break your budget with a newer 4 stroke? You might be able to find one with a two stroke engine, with a kicker for about 40k.

How old are the kids? I are you mostly going to be summer boating?

My 23 is comfortable for 3 family members for fishing, overnight cruising and meal prep. We day-tripped with 7 for years, but those folks have to like each other -- and having a v-berth for the kids to play and hang out was better than trying to keep them seated for hours. Even with a head in the v-berth [closed cabin], there's not tons of privacy. Hard to picture going much smaller for what you want.

Our initial purchase price with a tired V8 inboard was inside your budget, but zurk had it about right by the time we bought a trailer, replaced the kicker, and rebuild, upgraded and repowered. We got 5 years at your budget level, then started adding -- quickly.

The 2460 Pursuit that is for sale for $35K would work for 6 people,but it has a big motor(454) and I/O.You need a decent truck to pull it and lots of gas money.I have no idea what condition it's in ,but they are great hulls.
Not 100% sure but I think that boat comes from Pearson marine in sooke, I looked at it 5-6 years ago with the wife, good shape back then, but passed because of the inboard, I swore to my wife I would never get another inboard, she could not stand watching me working on those dang thing all the time

A 23’ trophy would be great. Just be mindful of the transom if it’s older than a 2000 model. My buddy had to redo a transom of an early 90’s model. Filled it with the pour in stuff and it floated 4” higher. Wish I bought that boat!

I think your best bet is a 2000 or newer trophy 22’. Best bang for the buck, sea worthy boats and well laid out. I don’t own one but many I my friends do and I think they are affordable and reliable. Again, it has to be year 2000 or newer or your risking a lot of issues

This is great info, thanks! We went out with a guide at Campbell River a couple years back on his trophy and really liked it and it was definitely one we've been keeping an eye out for.

My constraints are that it needs to be trailered, not looking to pay for moorage right now. So anything over 22' is probably a bit much for our SUV which is rated to 5K.

Back