hoochie / anchovie rigging questions

• Thread starter Thread starter smatty_mcfly
  • Start date Start date
S

smatty_mcfly

Hi again everyone. I have a few more questions please.

First of all I should mention i'm going after springs and coho, as that will probably affect the answers. :-)

I've been reading through the forum, and I see people talking about 8' or 9' leaders. I've been using 3' leaders on my hoochies without any luck. Which length is more common? Also, i've been using red flashers with army truck hoochies or various colored coyote spoons. Does that combination sound ok? I read a few posts of people saying red pisses salmon off!

I am using banana or slip weights about 4 feet up from the flasher. Is that correct or should they be further up the line?

Finally, could someone describe a correct anchovie setup please? I've tried cut-plugging with herring, or mooching with live herring, but i've never fished with anchovie.

I'm beginning to think there are no salmon in the sechelt inlet, but its probably just my lack of skills!

Thank you very much. :-)

smatty

Depending on the speed your boat is moving and the amount of action you want the ususal leader lengths for hootcies that I have heard of is between 18-30 inches for coho. (shorter is faster - and most coho like faster action) Some guys have leaders as long as 4 feet when fishing for springs.

If you have a downrigger, just use your hootchie with a flasher and no weights, it makes playing the fish much more fun.

As far as colors go, blues and greens also can work well for coho. You need to try to find out what the coho are feeding on and try to match it as best you can with the lures you have.

The simplest way to rig an anchoovy is to buy a pre-rigged teaser head (e.g. Rhys Davis model)and use that. If you want to rig your own later just reproduce what the pre-rigged one looks like.

I have heard that the salmon fishing on the east side of Van Isle is pretty slow so far, so you might want to plan a trip out to the west coast. Hope this helps.

Sharp hooks and full traps!

Depending on the speed your boat is moving and the amount of action you want the ususal leader lengths for hootcies that I have heard of is between 18-30 inches for coho. (shorter is faster - and most coho like faster action) Some guys have leaders as long as 4 feet when fishing for springs.

If you have a downrigger, just use your hootchie with a flasher and no weights, it makes playing the fish much more fun.

As far as colors go, blues and greens also can work well for coho. You need to try to find out what the coho are feeding on and try to match it as best you can with the lures you have.

The simplest way to rig an anchoovy is to buy a pre-rigged teaser head (e.g. Rhys Davis model)and use that. If you want to rig your own later just reproduce what the pre-rigged one looks like.

I have heard that the salmon fishing on the east side of Van Isle is pretty slow so far, so you might want to plan a trip out to the west coast. Hope this helps.

Sharp hooks and full traps!

Once again thank you for the reply WITW. That info is really helpful!

Let's say someone has to put a weight (either slip or banana) on one line (I only have 1 downrigger), how far up the line would you recommend?

Also if anyone can answer the anchovie question I would really appreciate it!

smatty

Once again thank you for the reply WITW. That info is really helpful!

Let's say someone has to put a weight (either slip or banana) on one line (I only have 1 downrigger), how far up the line would you recommend?

Also if anyone can answer the anchovie question I would really appreciate it!

smatty

I may stand corrected but 36" to 42" on hootchies 4 to 6 feet on spoons but every boat and tide is slightly different. Bait, run any where from 4 to 7 or even 8 feet back from the flasher. I run 6 feet for spoons on mine and 40 to 42 on hootchies I run my boat with 12 lbs cannon balls at 40 to 45 degrees on the cable but I slow down and speed up if I'm not catching. I also run plugs 30 pulls of the boat no flasher. I have all my gear tied at different lengths using cut McDonalds straws to hold the leaders and write on the straws the length for quick changes. If I'm not catching fish I change up every 20 to 30 minutes I work my boat hard with better and better results..

Hope this helps CHEERS ME

p.s. South denman and hornby, flora, whaling station and tribune bay also the mouth of the big Q on EVI producing well........

HAPPY HOOKIN !!!

I may stand corrected but 36" to 42" on hootchies 4 to 6 feet on spoons but every boat and tide is slightly different. Bait, run any where from 4 to 7 or even 8 feet back from the flasher. I run 6 feet for spoons on mine and 40 to 42 on hootchies I run my boat with 12 lbs cannon balls at 40 to 45 degrees on the cable but I slow down and speed up if I'm not catching. I also run plugs 30 pulls of the boat no flasher. I have all my gear tied at different lengths using cut McDonalds straws to hold the leaders and write on the straws the length for quick changes. If I'm not catching fish I change up every 20 to 30 minutes I work my boat hard with better and better results..

Hope this helps CHEERS ME

p.s. South denman and hornby, flora, whaling station and tribune bay also the mouth of the big Q on EVI producing well........

HAPPY HOOKIN !!!

You are definitely way too short for putting on your weight - not sure exactly as I go by how it looks behind the boat, but I'd say at least 10 pulls (20') before you put on your weight. If you are fishing for coho, you can run 6oz 8oz, but if you want depth for springs, use min. 16 oz, maybe even 2lb - then at least you have a shot of getting some depth.

My gramps used to guide up in Malcolm Island - when fishing by himself, 2lb and 30 pulls was a crazy magic number for him and he caught loads! Depends where you are though.

Consideration for anchovies, I had never really used them much because of the dogs and constant checking on every bounce, but we killed the springs on them last weekend and I have never had that kind of action before. Well worth trying them - use treble hook (with trailer if possible), and make sure your hook is totally into the bait (shaft should be right up to the bait).

You are definitely way too short for putting on your weight - not sure exactly as I go by how it looks behind the boat, but I'd say at least 10 pulls (20') before you put on your weight. If you are fishing for coho, you can run 6oz 8oz, but if you want depth for springs, use min. 16 oz, maybe even 2lb - then at least you have a shot of getting some depth.

My gramps used to guide up in Malcolm Island - when fishing by himself, 2lb and 30 pulls was a crazy magic number for him and he caught loads! Depends where you are though.

Consideration for anchovies, I had never really used them much because of the dogs and constant checking on every bounce, but we killed the springs on them last weekend and I have never had that kind of action before. Well worth trying them - use treble hook (with trailer if possible), and make sure your hook is totally into the bait (shaft should be right up to the bait).

anchovies.....
Although different with every boat, here's whats worked for me,,
Firstly I have never ever fished for Coho or Springs with red flashers..Pinks/Chum/Sockeye yes...
Springs - go green or chartruese and even monkey puke or plaid
Same with Cohos although blues and purples work for them too.
Rig your anchovies from instructions that you get with the Rhyes units to start with...
Springs - I go slow...very slow...no more that .7 to 1.3 mph sometimes it pays to do motor tricks (take out of gear to settle the rig for about 10 seconds...if you're fishing with two rods, zig zag until you get hits on either the out turn rod (speed you boat up a bit) or the in turn (slow your boat down) rod.
Get your anchovie to roll about once per second....and heres the big secret....wait for it..... break the tail of the anchovie about three vertibraes from the end away from the curved end of the teaser.
Leader lengths....go long or go home... sliding weights should be 20 pulls from the flasher if you're not using riggers...Just what has worked for me the last twenty years but I could be wrong:)

boc

anchovies.....
Although different with every boat, here's whats worked for me,,
Firstly I have never ever fished for Coho or Springs with red flashers..Pinks/Chum/Sockeye yes...
Springs - go green or chartruese and even monkey puke or plaid
Same with Cohos although blues and purples work for them too.
Rig your anchovies from instructions that you get with the Rhyes units to start with...
Springs - I go slow...very slow...no more that .7 to 1.3 mph sometimes it pays to do motor tricks (take out of gear to settle the rig for about 10 seconds...if you're fishing with two rods, zig zag until you get hits on either the out turn rod (speed you boat up a bit) or the in turn (slow your boat down) rod.
Get your anchovie to roll about once per second....and heres the big secret....wait for it..... break the tail of the anchovie about three vertibraes from the end away from the curved end of the teaser.
Leader lengths....go long or go home... sliding weights should be 20 pulls from the flasher if you're not using riggers...Just what has worked for me the last twenty years but I could be wrong:)

boc

This is exactly the information I was looking for! Thank you very much everyone. I am heading out at 5am tomorrow to try all of your suggestions. :-)

smatty

This is exactly the information I was looking for! Thank you very much everyone. I am heading out at 5am tomorrow to try all of your suggestions. :-)

smatty

1 more thing. You mentioned you only have one downrigger so you use a banana weight on the other. Have you tried "stacking" 2 lines on 1 downrigger? I do it all the time with my 3rd line. Put the first lure on the clip on the ball, let out 20 to 30 ft(or more) of wire, and then attach your second clip. Be creative and you can fish for 2 species of salmon at the same time this way. Hope it helps.
Tom

1 more thing. You mentioned you only have one downrigger so you use a banana weight on the other. Have you tried "stacking" 2 lines on 1 downrigger? I do it all the time with my 3rd line. Put the first lure on the clip on the ball, let out 20 to 30 ft(or more) of wire, and then attach your second clip. Be creative and you can fish for 2 species of salmon at the same time this way. Hope it helps.
Tom

sechelt inlet ... you need to go deep for springs ...85- 120 feet on the rigger ...try white hoochie with green stripe down the side with red or purple flasher fish hoochie at 42" leader with 30 lbs test leader ..set rigger at 101 feet. troll up and down those inlets close to shore and try and find drop offs or underwater reefs with dropoffs ...this always hold fish ...i have spent many hours up and down those inlets there are fish there but they are deep and you have to work for them ... also try cop car spoons or chovie but use leader lengths that are suggested by the people above 6' for spoons and 7' for chovie :) ...gl ..... what area are u fishing ?

sechelt inlet ... you need to go deep for springs ...85- 120 feet on the rigger ...try white hoochie with green stripe down the side with red or purple flasher fish hoochie at 42" leader with 30 lbs test leader ..set rigger at 101 feet. troll up and down those inlets close to shore and try and find drop offs or underwater reefs with dropoffs ...this always hold fish ...i have spent many hours up and down those inlets there are fish there but they are deep and you have to work for them ... also try cop car spoons or chovie but use leader lengths that are suggested by the people above 6' for spoons and 7' for chovie :) ...gl ..... what area are u fishing ?

if you only have one downrigger i would suggest instead of wasting your time trying to let a banana weight pull the drag of your flasher how deep you need to fish Sechelt Inlet(DEEP), instead throw on a banana weight and a coytote/gypsy or Tom Mack spoon(No Flasher). Less drag so you can fish more effectively. You could aslo try an anchovie without a flasher the same way.

if you only have one downrigger i would suggest instead of wasting your time trying to let a banana weight pull the drag of your flasher how deep you need to fish Sechelt Inlet(DEEP), instead throw on a banana weight and a coytote/gypsy or Tom Mack spoon(No Flasher). Less drag so you can fish more effectively. You could aslo try an anchovie without a flasher the same way.

Back