High Thrust prop on a kicker

These small motors are essentially bullet proof, And it’s not like your running the thing flat out trying to push a sailboat up current or something like that. Personally I think a non high thrust with a high thrust prop is great for a light boat trolling motor. Taller gear ratio with a high thrust prop = lower rpm to be at trolling speed. I’ve ran both and swapped a high thrust prop onto a regular motor and never had a issue.

I have a older 15hp Merc. runs great and was thinking of a high thrust prop. Merc. doesn"t
make one but I found an after market one that I can order. I was wondering if anyone has tried
this. I was talking to someone that was not a mech. that said it might be harmfull/not run at
designed rpm if that matters, or for any other reason?

I'm reposting here, I have a 18' lund/heavey, floor and winsheild 115 outboard that has mech. problems
so I'm lurking around with the kicker for now. I thought a four blade prop. at high rpm will help get around,
I'm having no problems trolling. what do you think about that idea.

I have a older 15hp Merc. runs great and was thinking of a high thrust prop. Merc. doesn"t
make one but I found an after market one that I can order. I was wondering if anyone has tried
this. I was talking to someone that was not a mech. that said it might be harmfull/not run at
designed rpm if that matters, or for any other reason?

I'm reposting here, I have a 18' lund/heavey, floor and winsheild 115 outboard that has mech. problems
so I'm lurking around with the kicker for now. I thought a four blade prop. at high rpm will help get around,
I'm having no problems trolling. what do you think about that idea.

The correct prop will let the engine pull up to max rated rpm. If it won't pull rpm you're over propped, if it over revs you're under propped. You can't hurt anything by being under propped if you don't over rev the engine. If you're over propped you will be lugging and over loading the engine and that ain't good.

Back