Hey Wolf and Bananas I think you know this guy... oh wait - WE ALL DO!!!!!!!

Jay, very true. Sadly for every one that gives up, 2 more jump in.

I think I will become a part time guide too-sounds like fun-maybe I could pay for my new 300 yammi that way-meet all kinds of interesting people who want to get something for nothing, but off course expect first class everything-yeah sounds like I would really like that a lot!! (NOT)

this guy is a regular sooke charter - I don't see what the big fuss is....its probably smart practice actually - catch the eye with $100 in the headline, then throw in the 4 person minimum - we are talking $50 off the sooke norm, then he probably balances out that $50 'loss' when he fills the charter with 5 and gets $500 anyway. Obviously March/April are a little slower, so why not fill the schedule with a little 'deal' spring deal, that in essence will end up exactly the same for him overall than the rest of the guides.

Fair play and good marketing in my books.
Just speaking as a non-biased outsider!

Yup free world for sure . He is prob still charging more than the ave sooke guy.With the excep of rollie, foghorn and myself,most seam to charge what he's charging or close to it.

Yup free world for sure . He is prob still charging more than the ave sooke guy.With the excep of rollie, foghorn and myself,most seam to charge what he's charging or close to it.

If you're the best you should charge accordingly. Our rates are $5 to $20 more per hour than most and we seem to stay fairly busy

Some guys just what to go fishing and making a profit or not doesn't compute, they just want to fish and hopefully land that big one on their boat.

It's also a good excuse to tell the wife "I have a charter and we're making money, so you'll have to take care of house today". Only when the major breakdown comes and the bank account funds are needed for that costly repair the truth comes out. They never accounted for O&P and their time.

Jay, very true. Sadly for every one that gives up, 2 more jump in.

Profisher,

That was Shawn (fishtofino), but I agree with him that these guys come and go. Fortunatley in Tofino our limited space helps us with a few less weekend warriors and on average, it keeps a pretty good level of professionalism..

Jay

so what are the going rates down south of me?, i was under the impression that it was 800-1000 bucks?, guess ya dont have to travel as far as nootka?, i really have no idea....holmes*
Victoria/Sooke typically $450-500 for 5 hours, $600-700 for 8 hours, doesn't get to those pricings until you get to the banks - Port Renfrew is $1000-1300 because of the hour ride out to the middle of nowhere and the constant pounding of the machines. I assume that is then 'typical' from there anywhere north on the west side

The going rates ranges from $75 to $100 per hour. I run at $100 per hour or I don't go and I usually travel 1 hr +- .

It all depends on how far the charter operator want to travel. The low rate guys out of Sooke usually only travel -30 minute to anchor up and they usually don't catch much and if they do they are usually small ones. It also depends on the vessel, the lower rate guys are fishing out of small or older run down boats and most like don't carry proper insurance or are TC certified. There is no TC enforcement so they get away with it.

Holmes, there are guys down here offering 9 hour salmon trips for 2 people for $450.00 or 5 hours @ $300.00. My rates in Sooke are $800.00 full 10hrs, $550.00 for 6 hours (min for early am trips) and $400.00 for a 4hr afternoon trip. In Nootka my 10 hour day is $1,350.00 for the boat and myself. All plus HST. The other guys also never registered to collect tax so they get another 12% advantage supplied by the government. Yep, give a 12% advantage to the people that give you FA back, real fricken smart. So I guess some people are willing to get out of bed at 4am on Sunday..spend an hour getting ready, spend 4 hrs fishing...at least an hour to clean up afterwards..all for less than $200 real profit after expenses. Hope the wife likes Mcdonalds!!!

I have taken probably in the area of 30 or so charters over the years and have always steered clear of "cut rate charters". If I am going to spend hard earned $ I want the best most professional service available. Even this does not ensure you get the type of service and care desired. While I have been more than happy by far with most of the guides I have hired to the point of developing good friendships with many just for a chuckle let me share the 3 I was not happy with.
These all come from the late 80s early 90s.

1) Charter to fish Alberni Inlet. Fished out of 23' K&C. The guide insisted on running 6 rods 2 down-riggers. 3/4 of the trip was spent untangling (not cutting and retying) lines and gear. Judging from the number of fish at the cleaning table when we returned to Clutesi we were the only boat with 0 fish.

2) Again Alberni inlet. Fished out of 24' ? (maybe a Surf). Judging from the smell of stale booze on the guides breath perhaps he should have stopped and gone to bed a little earlier the night before. It looked to me like he had one of those monumental hangovers. Our rather green fleshed guide ran as far as he could get from any other boats set the gear and fell asleep leaving us to run the boat with strict instructions to stay on on the side of the inlet where there were no boats. If memory serves correct he woke up every 45 minutes or so to quickly check things out and fall back asleep. Again upon our return to the marina judging from the cleaning table we were the only boat within miles that brought in 0 fish.

PLEASE BE AWARE THIS IS NOT COMMENT ON THE PROFESSIONALISM OF PORT ALBERNI GUIDES AS I KNOW MANY AND IN MY OPINION THEY ARE AMONGST THE BEST ON THE WEST COAST.

3) This time Nootka 3rd week in July. Fished 1 late afternoon/early evening and 1 morning until noonish to scout out the area in preparation for a good buddy meeting up with us the next day . I think the guide was suffering from "other boatitis". He insisted in fishing away from any other boats both days. I realize this can sometimes be a good idea but hey if it's not working for you... Total fish caught 0. Met up with my buddy and fished off his boat for 2 days doing exactly the opposite of what we had done with the guide and limited out both days including catching my personal best of 42 lbs.

For the record this is not just sour grapes because of catching no fish. I have been on charters that have had that result (not many but it has happened) and while catching fish is preferable I have still enjoyed myself and have had no complaints with this outcome. I thought some might find these stories interesting.

Wishin I Was Fishin.
H.E.H.

Hi Holmes
I was much younger then. I have become a little more assertive with age. If it were to happen now he probably would be swimming back to the dock. Should he not make it I would be up 1 boat.

H.E.H.

Staying clear of other boats or returning to the dock when no one else is around is a sure clue that that guide isn't as proficient at catching fish consistently. Nothing more stressful for a guide than being in the crowd, a good bite on and nothing happening in your boat. Or returning when the dock is hoppin, all the good guides have fish and you don't. I've seen it done before and the customers leave oblivious to the fact there were fish caught that day and that it was just a matter of being in the wrong boat.

I know what you mean profisher. Returning to the dock once the "smoke has cleared" is not a trick reserved for unlucky guides. I do recall an unlucky non guiding sports fisher slinking back to a dock or 2 with his tail between his legs (that would be me). This hasn't occurred often but when it does it kinda sucks. In hindsight it surprises me the 2 guides in question didn't take advantage of this concept. Perhaps it was because they really didn't give a rat's wadyacallit.

H.E.H.

Back