Herring Fishery

So, like all commercial fisherman would say, life was a bowl of cherries on a good year and the sky is falling on a bad year. I can tell you as an ex commercial fisherman, this is absolutely normal banter as fishing has, and always will be, cyclical in nature.
There are also seasons where you buck the trend and have a good season when others fail and sometimes you have the black cloud follow you around all season. It is the nature of the business.

Interesting information Wildmanyeah
Perhaps you can share the link from where you found that information

Josh Young had this to say about this years harvest

Normally, it takes just days for the quota to be filled. But when the season was finally closed on March 28, the total catch was just over 4,000 tons, a little more than half of what the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) had set for a quota.
"It was a different year," Young said stoically.

The result appears to have surprised the department, too. DFO tries to manage the herring stocks using surveillance from the air, sonar soundings and even divers in the water doing surveys. It then co-ordinates the season opening with when the herring arrive to spawn.
That's because it's the roe that fishermen like Young are after. It's highly prized in the Japanese market.
There are two Josh Young's in the fishery. Each hada different experience.

Has anyone noticed the abundance of herring in the southern Georgia Strait and Sooke this year. Could it be due to the severer reduction of the mid island Herring harvest over the last two years? There is no doubt many of these herring migrate north in the spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't dare say there are lots of herring around !! The protest should start soon as herring fishery planning for next spring is starting.
the size of the herring that I have seen will not be big enough for harvesting next season. I rather expect or hope the current cutbacks we have seen over the last two years will prevail or be further restricted.

I have not heard the recommendation for harvest rate or stock abundance yet. I heard there were more younger age classes (2's) than older fish last year. TAC will be based on stock abundance the the approved harvest rate ........................... and then what ever the Minister decides. Last year she went with what the ENGO's wanted.

I have not heard the recommendation for harvest rate or stock abundance yet. I heard there were more younger age classes (2's) than older fish last year. TAC will be based on stock abundance the the approved harvest rate ........................... and then what ever the Minister decides. Last year she went with what the ENGO's wanted.
I'm not sure what the NGO's wanted but its nice as a sportfisher to see more herring in the Straight.

The Food & Bait herring fishery scheduled to open November 20 (usually Nov. 07) in Georgia Strait is recognized by DFO science as the cause of the extirpation of numerous local herring stocks. A catch of 837 metric tonnes (1,841,400 lb.) in 2021-2022 severely reduces the possibility of these stocks rebuilding. Herring have been proven to be the primary prey species of chinook and coho salmon. Public comment on this fishery is being received until November 16 by Jim Meldrum at DFO. The Amalgamated Conservation Society, at their November 02 meeting, unanimously passed a motion calling for the end of this fishery. If you are concerned about the status of local herring stocks and the impact of the commercial food and bait fishery on these stocks, please contact Jim at james.meldrum@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Attachments

• ACS-Food and Bait Herring Fishery.pdf
    184.8 KB · Views: 23
brutal, as if it was not enough to go after the roe fishery, now moved onto the food and bait fishery too
If that is what it takes to restore the Herring stock to historic levels, it is worth the sacrifice!
The reduced catch for the last two years has made a BIG difference to the stocks in the area I frequent. Southern Vancouver Island

Last edited by a moderator:
brutal, as if it was not enough to go after the roe fishery, now moved onto the food and bait fishery too

It's the 10ft view syndrome vs looking at 1000 ft view. In the south the chinook fisheries are really heavily restricted. People are getting impatient so they think only of their area. No one else.

The problem is when you treat yourself as center of universe in an entire BC fishery you can damage other issues being worked on at same time that effect all of the fisheries.

Remember we as a group in BC are directly asking dfo to stop politics and manage our fishery on science. How can we ask that when we treat another sector to be completely shut down based on no science? What are we now the MCC Caucus?

This proposal is not wise. I also find it ironic one of the larger areas that use herring as bait in the halibut fishery is asking for this.

Last edited:
Exactly right SV ................................................. be careful what you wish for .................................. you want to save/ help chinook ............................... don't catch them.
PEOPLE DON’T EAT HERRING, WE EAT CHINOOK

That’s like saying we should only farm barley and not eat beef.

People have figured out that lineing a few commercial fisherman’s pockets for herring that is used in cat food, and fish farm food is not worth the risk to Wild Salmon.

Back