Herring Fishery

wonder why the sectors can't come together in one room for things like steelhead, kinda hard when bombs like these are getting tossed around. One industry demanding the other to get shut down. Letters like these do more harm than good IMO.

the food/bait and special use fishery has traditionally been a pretty small harvest.

The 800 tonnes being proposed is a faction of the historic catch..

1667847984763.png

Last edited:
That being said surely there is an opportunity for the recreational sector/commercial recreational sector to raise funds and not harvest herring. This could provide a win win situation for all view points and a great PR opportunity.

If you guys think that our local commercial herring fishery makes a dent in our herring population your wrong.

I believe @hardyguy said it pretty well here. Be careful what you wish for

If you guys think that our local commercial herring fishery makes a dent in our herring population your wrong.

I believe @hardyguy said it pretty well here. Be careful what you wish for
The point I am making is that if the reason to harvest herring in a particular instance is due to charity there are alternatives. Although I stated "no wishes" as implied in the reply I suspect mine our similar to most on the forum. A healthy biomass of forage fish that are managed for the long term future of multiple species including salmon stocks in addition that all fisheries transition to selective methods with minimal waste. ( Think Herring roe on kelp).

The point I am making is that if the reason to harvest herring in a particular instance is due to charity there are alternatives. Although I stated "no wishes" as implied in the reply I suspect mine our similar to most on the forum. A healthy biomass of forage fish that are managed for the long term future of multiple species including salmon stocks in addition that all fisheries transition to selective methods with minimal waste. ( Think Herring roe on kelp).

There is plenty of herring in the gulf to support a 20 percent roe fishery and the tiny little food herring fishery and withhold sustainability. For some reason the rec guys who fish a couple weeks a year think that if you just delete commercial fishing it will be lights out fishing for them. Pretty selfish way to look at things. There are a lot of herring and our 10-20 percent fishery is nothing. Theres plenty of bait to go around.

Getting really tired of hearing the "More bait more fish" ********. People who say that have absolutely no idea on whats going on out there

Ohh roe on kelp. You mean the operation they shut down last year? Yeah that one really was a low blow from our beloved DFO

i just find it crazy to point a finger and one sector when one can say the same thing about ours.

All the whale people want is a healthy amount of chinook around, we don't have to eat chinook or play with our food there are other alternatives, there is also better selective fishing for chinook like only fishing in river where stock composition is known and can be counted.

i just find it crazy to point a finger and one sector when one can say the same thing about ours.

All the whale people want is a healthy amount of chinook around, we don't have to eat chinook or play with our food there are other alternatives, there is also better selective fishing for chinook like only fishing in river where stock composition is known and can be counted.
I completely agree that all sectors should be trying to improve techniques to ensure that incidental mortality/ by catch is kept at a minimum. That being said was the topic not Herring Fishery in this particular thread?

I completely agree that all sectors should be trying to improve techniques to ensure that incidental mortality/ by catch is kept at a minimum. That being said was the topic not Herring Fishery in this particular thread?

The food and bait fishery harvest like 2% of the spawning population in SOG.

The population can handle that,

The increasing humpback whale population is making a much bigger dent. That population is coming here in greater numbers to feed.

For sports fishermen to write a letter trying to end it is ridiculous and short sighted.

Last edited:
Why not just ban the use of bait in the recreational fishery ? Without a market, there wouldnt be a herring Bait fishery.....🤔

Like several others have said, Be Careful What You Wish For !!

CR Greg

Why not just ban the use of bait in the recreational fishery ? Without a market, there wouldnt be a herring Bait fishery.....🤔

Like several others have said, Be Careful What You Wish For !!

CR Greg
Do you really think the sport bait Herring Fishery is a significant factor in the overall Herring catch?
The recovery of the Herring stocks since the Roe fishery has been cut back is a fact and has happened even with the continued sport bait catch.
Is your comment "Why not just ban the use of bait in the recreational fishery" a question, a suggestion or a red herring?

Do you really think the sport bait Herring Fishery is a significant factor in the overall Herring catch?
The recovery of the Herring stocks since the Roe fishery has been cut back is a fact and has happened even with the continued sport bait catch.
Is your comment "Why not just ban the use of bait in the recreational fishery" a question, a suggestion or a red herring?
Yes, Sport Bait is a major component of the winter Herring harvest. This thread is about stopping the winter Food and Bait fishery... so yes, my comment is relevant and informed.

I think @CRGreg is being sarcastic and he should.

The Herring is doing great and has nothing to do with last year being cut back by 10 percent. Like I said, anyone who says otherwise clearly has no real idea of what goes on out there.

We have way bigger problems to deal with.

The commercial Roe on Kelp/gillnet fishery targets herring that migrate into the gulf, spawn, and leave. The bait fishery targets herring that reside in the gulf full time. Two very different fisheries.

Last edited:
The food and bait fishery harvest like 2% of the spawning population in SOG.

The population can handle that,

The increasing humpback whale population is making a much bigger dent. That population is coming here in greater numbers to feed.

For sports fishermen to write a letter trying to end it is ridiculous and short sighted.

Yes it is ridiculous.

The commercial Roe on Kelp/gillnet fishery targets herring that migrate into the gulf, spawn, and leave. The bait fishery targets herring that reside in the gulf full time. Two very different fisheries.
Beg to differ with you..Bait fish are typical fished on where the transiet herring move thru... the food fish are caught were they usually hold and spawn... Why dont you wait and see what the 10% reduction looks like before you all get your nickers in a knot...

Beg to differ with you..Bait fish are typical fished on where the transiet herring move thru... the food fish are caught were they usually hold and spawn... Why dont you wait and see what the 10% reduction looks like before you all get your nickers in a knot...
I anchored in Secret Cove for a few years and the Bait Fishery was being done right in the bay. Maybe those herring were transient that just happened to get pushed into the bay.

I anchored in Secret Cove for a few years and the Bait Fishery was being done right in the bay. Maybe those herring were transient that just happened to get pushed into the bay.
Terrin : What time of year was that ?There is the larger food/ Bait fishery that happens in the winter but there is also a few small live bait licences (3 tons) in areas 12 and 13 that fish in the spring summer. I hope people do not think they are a threat.

Terrin : What time of year was that ?There is the larger food/ Bait fishery that happens in the winter but there is also a few small live bait licences (3 tons) in areas 12 and 13 that fish in the spring summer. I hope people do not think they are a threat.
That would have been around the May long weekend (Spring).Smaller 6-7" herring for live bait not the big egg layers.

Back