Herring Fishery

I think you will find all these photo's were taken from the French Creek - Qualicum area
Firstly, you are wrong, and if you had actually seen all the coastline from French Creek to Qualicum you would know that.
Secondly, you are accusing someone of lying

Firstly, you are wrong, and if you had actually seen all the coastline from French Creek to Qualicum you would know that.
Secondly, you are accusing someone of lying

i think he was just refering to the 3 from that one post not all of them

Well herring do spawn all over the coast, however there are sites that are dependent year after year - while there are other less prime sites that are more density-dependent where only in high abundance years will you find herring spawning there. Generally, the more offshore sites with adequate kelp cover are prime spots, altho in some areas they key-in on eelgrass in higher salinity beds. The areas that have higher abundances will also appear more predictable than other areas with more fluctuating stock numbers.

And altho humans can take substantial numbers of herring - so can other predators - esp. humpback whales and hake - and to a lesser extent (generally with area-specific differences) with sea lions.

There have been some recent changes (e.g. Integrated Statistical Catch Age Model with Limit Reference Points) in how DFO models herring abundances in the past few years - and if today's herring managers are to be believed - the numerous fisheries (managed in five major and two minor stock areas) are managed in a more conservative fashion.

herring-hareng-map-carte-eng.jpg

and from the words of DFO herring management: "DFO Science Branch led the development of a peer reviewed paper “Performance of management procedures for British Columbia Pacific Herring (Clupea pallasii) in the presence of model uncertainty: closing the gap between precautionary fisheries theory and practice (Benson et al., In press)”. They tried this out for herring stocks in the Strait of Georgia and the West Coast of Vancouver Island 1st:

The full IFMP can be found at:

Isn't 10% spawning biomass what DFO is going with this year?

Yes/No,

10% of the spawning biomass in the northern SOG

0% everywhere else expect for some First Nations SOKs fisheries

most of our waters are closed

Thanks for the info on the American herring harvest, WMY. I have 2 comments/questions:
1/ In Puget Sound they use apparently Lampara nets to harvest herring - a new one for me. It looks like a cross between a trawl net and a beach seine - apparently used over rough bottoms.

lampara-net-l.jpg

Not sure if only Lampara nets are used exclusively, and not sure if the fishing technique or where it is used affects the viability of the fishery or the conservation effects of that fishery. Not sure if you know if you or anyone on here knows any more about that fishery, and
2/ from the landing chart you posted - it appears that the forage fish fishery is a mostly late summer fishery looking @ lbs landed. That is quite different from most herring fisheries in Pacific Canada where March/April is the prime fishing time for herring. Not sure if the largest proportion of those forage fish landings listed (including anchovy and smelts along w herring) are herring. I would assume that the smelts (incl. Eulachon?) are a small proportion, and the anchovies are year-dependent wrt proportions.

Thanks for the info on the American herring harvest, WMY. I have 2 comments/questions:
1/ In Puget Sound they use apparently Lampara nets to harvest herring - a new one for me. It looks like a cross between a trawl net and a beach seine - apparently used over rough bottoms.

lampara-net-l.jpg

Not sure if only Lampara nets are used exclusively, and not sure if the fishing technique or where it is used affects the viability of the fishery or the conservation effects of that fishery. Not sure if you know if you or anyone on here knows any more about that fishery, and
2/ from the landing chart you posted - it appears that the forage fish fishery is a mostly late summer fishery looking @ lbs landed. That is quite different from most herring fisheries in Pacific Canada where March/April is the prime fishing time for herring. Not sure if the largest proportion of those forage fish landings listed (including anchovy and smelts along w herring) are herring. I would assume that the smelts (incl. Eulachon?) are a small proportion, and the anchovies are year-dependent wrt proportions.

perhaps you already knew this but wanted to point it out but from what i can tell its mainly a commercial herring fishery for sports fishing bait targeting juvenile herring in the age rage 1 year to 2 years old.

1641406463187.png

1641407801902.png

Last edited:
also some good new on the herring front in Washington state,

'
  • 2020 was an exceptional year for herring and herring surveys in Puget Sound. The total herring spawning biomass in 2020 was estimated to be 18,559 tonnes. This was a 235% increase over the 2019 estimate and is the highest estimate since the 1980s. This dramatic increase illustrates the dynamic nature of these stocks and their ability to respond when conditions are favorable.

You are correct the Washington state fishery is a main supplier to the smaller bait fish market from Alaska to Calfornia & BC is the major supplier for the med. and large herring to the sport fishing market..

Thanks WMY and derby for your insights. It kinda answers the questions I had to a large extent. Going after subadult and smaller herring answers the question I had about timing of the fishery. And it appears that the Washington State/Puget Sound herring fishery is way smaller than the herring fishery on the other side of that border - but they also have had very poor recruitment years in the recent past, as well.

I would say based on 25 years of dealing with Washingston State in package sport bait that they have always had the smaller bait sizes and rarely abundance of med to the larger herring.. The increase in catch in the later summer into the fall is all about the anchovys as they are the about the only supplier on packaged sport anchovy's. There was bait supplier on the pender harbour side for years and they also dealt with smaller size bait fish as that was what hung out there for the most part also. If you fish bait in the summer smaller bait which personal I prefer atleast in BC we did not do.

Back