Help. Why won't my 2.5 merc run without choke?

Yeah it's just not happening. As soon as I touch the choke it dies. I can get it to run at a higher rpm if I leave the throttle at start and cover the intake. I burned some better fuel and quicklean through it but made no difference. Time to find some tools and a YouTube video I guess

You only need a philips screwdriver and maybe a carb cleaning spray like Seafoam. 30 mins and you’ll be all set. maybe 40 after a couple of beers.
It’s really easy to clean that bowl and put it back in. You can do it RC. You can do it….

Yeah it's just not happening. As soon as I touch the choke it dies. I can get it to run at a higher rpm if I leave the throttle at start and cover the intake. I burned some better fuel and quicklean through it but made no difference. Time to find some tools and a YouTube video I guess
Once you take the bowl off pull the jets out, smallest automotive wire , strip it and take 1 strand, push it throught all the small holes in the jets, done!

Once you take the bowl off pull the jets out, smallest automotive wire , strip it and take 1 strand, push it throught all the small holes in the jets, done!
Every video I look up has way too many steps to perform on the beach in the sun. I rowed and caught a couple brown trout? or small lake trout maybe? The motor is now revving out to all hell and then dying. Still can't get it to start or run without full choke. Nobody seems to want to fix it while I'm sleeping. Lazy asses

Every video I look up has way too many steps to perform on the beach in the sun. I rowed and caught a couple brown trout? or small lake trout maybe? The motor is now revving out to all hell and then dying. Still can't get it to start or run without full choke. Nobody seems to want to fix it while I'm sleeping. Lazy asses
Lol it’ll be a laker, if you could get it to west Kelowna we could tear down in my shop at my place

It’s honestly a 10 minute job. You just need a tiny wire to push through the center of the jets . Like one wire off a bbq scraper.

Lol it’ll be a laker, if you could get it to west Kelowna we could tear down in my shop at my place
I got it apart. Man that was easy. Full of green crust. Had to go get groceries, will report back.

Can you eat lake trout? These things are a decent size actually. Pretty muddy area by Canoe beach here though. I have to admit I was imagining myself rowing in the tyee pool! @Dave H

Just don’t break that oar!
I got it apart. Man that was easy. Full of green crust. Had to go get groceries, will report back.

Can you eat lake trout? These things are a decent size actually. Pretty muddy area by Canoe beach here though. I have to admit I was imagining myself rowing in the tyee pool! @Dave H

Well I cleaned it and reassembled. Restarted and it ran like a top for about 6 seconds. Then it died and now I can't get it to start whatsoever. Maybe I flooded it? There isn't a socket to be found around here to check the plug.

May want to unplug your kill switch. Sometimes they will go bad and leave you scratching your head.

^^THIS^^
Did you squeeze the primer bulb with fresh gas before starting? This sounds like a fuel delivery now. Your initial problem sounds to have been resolved. Now you should just check that fresh gas is getting to the bowl. Did you check if the hose that brings gas to the carb and isn’t blocked by something? I bet it’s a simple thing. Just check your fuel delivery line.

Last edited:
^^THIS^^
Did you squeeze the primer bulb with fresh gas before starting? This sounds like a fuel delivery now. Your initial problem sounds to have been resolved. Now you should just check that fresh gas is getting to the bowl. Did you check if the hose that brings gas to the carb and isn’t blocked by something? I bet it’s a simple thing. Just check your fuel delivery line.
There's no primer ball. I pulled it all apart again and can't find anything. Maybe I flipped something upside down? Found a socket from a neighbor and pulled the plug. Tons of fuel everywhere. Sprayed it out and put the plug back. There's so much fuel dumping it's draining out of those black hoses that run down through the case. Spills fuel everywhere. I'm getting spark. I'm wondering if the float is ****** up somehow? There's that little flapper thing that seems like it's just thin metal, could that have been messed with by accident? I can't even get it to sputter.

There's no primer ball. I pulled it all apart again and can't find anything. Maybe I flipped something upside down? Found a socket from a neighbor and pulled the plug. Tons of fuel everywhere. Sprayed it out and put the plug back. There's so much fuel dumping it's draining out of those black hoses that run down through the case. Spills fuel everywhere. I'm getting spark. I'm wondering if the float is ****** up somehow? There's that little flapper thing that seems like it's just thin metal, could that have been messed with by accident? I can't even get it to sputter.
Unlikely. When you put it back together, did you tighten up all the bolts? Did you check the little metal clips on the hose ends? This is such a simple carb that you can’t really…. Up, even if you try hard. This is pretty much the same mechanism that you can find on your lawn mower. :)

Unlikely. When you put it back together, did you tighten up all the bolts? Did you check the little metal clips on the hose ends? This is such a simple carb that you can’t really…. Up, even if you try hard. This is pretty much the same mechanism that you can find on your lawn mower. :)
Everything is tight. I don't own a lawn mower lol.

So how does the float work exactly? Up let's more fuel in? If I had to adjust the metal tab would I bend it up or down?
I wouldn't bend it at all. I would take the bowl back off. Clean the pivot pin and float sealing area. Give that a try.
Sounds like its flooding now unfortunately. You'll get it

So how does the float work exactly? Up let's more fuel in? If I had to adjust the metal tab would I bend it up or down?
Super simple. As the fuel rises, the float travels up and the float needle pivots down and seals off the supply off fuel until the float drops back down again.
Hope that makes sense.

Back