Buying a boat

Boats break down, it’s a fact, but you kind of hope it doesn’t happen all the time
My sense after owning 7+ boats over 46 years is that some boats break down more than others. Outboarded boats seem to have less problems. Boats bought from picky owners have less problems. Some brands are built different and break down less (IE Grady). Many problems on boats originate from operator error or lack of giving a ****. And waters wet. Point is I’ve learned it’s better buying a more expensive boat well maintained cause you gonna pay.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the input. I will push for the sea trial. I agree but wanted to be sure. The boat is a 5.7 Liter mercruiser that's carborated not injected. The 2359 is a 2007.
Look at the boat if it is what you want and you want to buy agree on a price pending sea trial Offer a $200 non refundable deposit. That way the seller is not wasting time taking people for boat rides. Have it in writing to cover everyone’s butt. On the sea trial if issues are encountered you can negotiate with the seller. Eg sounder not working, washdown not working…..plan atleast a day and a half to get the deal done. Let the seller know ahead that’s what your plan is. If he won’t agree walk away unless the deal is too good to walk away from.

Last edited:
Look at the boat if it is what you want and you want to buy agree on a price pending sea trial Offer a $200 non refundable deposit. That way the seller is not wasting time taking people for boat rides. Have it in writing to cover everyone’s butt. On the sea trial if issues are encountered you can negotiate with the seller. Eg sounder not working, washdown not working…..plan atleast a day and a half to get the deal done. Let the seller know ahead that’s what your plan is. If he won’t agree walk away unless the deal is too good to walk away from.
Like one of the members said, once under load the engine and drive is working hard, that’s when bugs show up, different range (rpm) full throttle , mid throttle , slow , give it a good go on all range, let the engine and drive get up to temp, then give her, slow down and give her again, do that for an hr, if she holds up then you kind of did what you can, after that put money in a breakdown account and I guarantee you you will use it lol. Also from my own experience , IO that sit and don’t get used on a regular base are the ones you need to be careful with, motor and drive sitting without use are bound to go boom with no warning

Is the seller presenting the boat as turn-key, ready to fish? If yes, then it is reasonable for a prospective buyer to expect a sea trial. Serious push back from the seller would suggest something to hide.

As others have mentioned, offer a deposit as an indication of your good faith and seriousness about testing the boat on the water. If the seller's main objection is lack of time, you're effectively offering to pay them for their time. You could also offer to do the trial without them, leaving your drivers licence and vehicle registration papers with them as surety.

If there's no trial, then the boat should be considered as mechanically questionable, with a substantial discount expected. Being able to test compression and start it up on ear muffs is far from the same as a test session on the water.

A friend bought a boat in the interior with out a sea trial. He had the guy fire it up in the driveway with the earmuffs on and It ran fine and sounded good but when he got back to the island and took it out in the lake it started spewing white smoke and he was dead in the water. He took it to the shop and the mechanic found a crack in the block patched up with JB Weld. It cost him 30k to get the motor rebuilt. It was an inboard V6

My sense after owning 7+ boats over 46 years is that some boats break down more than others. Outboarded boats seem to have less problems. Boats bought from picky owners have less problems. Some brands are built different and break down less (IE Grady). Many problems on boats imminent from operator error or lack of giving a ****. And waters wet. Point is I’ve learned it’s better buying a more expensive boat well maintained cause you gonna pay.
100%

A friend bought a boat in the interior with out a sea trial. He had the guy fire it up in the driveway with the earmuffs on and It ran fine and sounded good but when he got back to the island and took it out in the lake it started spewing white smoke and he was dead in the water. He took it to the shop and the mechanic found a crack in the block patched up with JB Weld. It cost him 30k to get the motor rebuilt. It was an inboard V6
30k for a v6? That’s insurance claim worthy.

ID NEVER buy a boat with out a sea trial!!!!!.....and a tap test on the transom and stringers etc remember fresh water rots salt preserves. (a quote from a guy at a marine refininsher)
My boat I sea trialed 3 times as it was in water I wanted to see it in calm and ROUGH water and the rough was like 3 to 4 footers, as its alot of money to be spending on a boat ... If he refuses whats up with that ??? huge red flag there is TONS of boats for sale , if he wont id walk away ..

Thread revival here.

Can anyone recommend a decent surveyor and certified Yamaha mechanic in the Vancouver (preferably North Vancouver) area ?

I’m going through the buying process right now and could use a little help from the forum. It sure would be nice to find a shop that could do both, but I haven’t found anything yet.

North Shore marine is booked until March and Galleon Marine won’t do inspections on outboards older than 2010 year.
Boat is a 2008 and Motors are 2006 Yamaha 150’s.

Thread revival here.

Can anyone recommend a decent surveyor and certified Yamaha mechanic in the Vancouver (preferably North Vancouver) area ?

I’m going through the buying process right now and could use a little help from the forum. It sure would be nice to find a shop that could do both, but I haven’t found anything yet.

North Shore marine is booked until March and Galleon Marine won’t do inspections on outboards older than 2010 year.
Boat is a 2008 and Motors are 2006 Yamaha 150’s.
I know a Yamaha mechanic from a survey a few years ago, I will pm his info to you.

Back