Help. Why won't my 2.5 merc run without choke?

Rain City

Crew Member
Just got up to Salmon Arm. Inflated the 8' and then proceeded to tear my arm apart trying to start it. Managed to get it going but it won't stay running without full choke. Gas is suspect at best. I haven't started it in a couple years. I'm going to get fresh gas in the morning but anything else obvious (to a mechanic) that I should try?

Just got up to Salmon Arm. Inflated the 8' and then proceeded to tear my arm apart trying to start it. Managed to get it going but it won't stay running without full choke. Gas is suspect at best. I haven't started it in a couple years. I'm going to get fresh gas in the morning but anything else obvious (to a mechanic) that I should try?
Carb need rebuild, cleaned

Thanks guys. I'm tool-less here and don't have any time to **** with it. It'll be shore fishing for me if I have to do any real work.

That small motor is super easy to fix. Buy Shell 91 or Chevron 94, I’d add 1/3 of a can of Seafoam to a 10L jerrycan and squeeze the bulb a few times then start. You may see some white smoke but that’s alright. Let it run idle for a few minutes and then slowly rev it up a bit.

Go.Fish’s advice is sound. If you have a Philips, see if you can drain that bowl. Sometimes, water from old gas gets trapped in the bowl and you can easily drain it. Good luck man.

That small motor is super easy to fix. Buy Shell 91 or Chevron 94, I’d add 1/3 of a can of Seafoam to a 10L jerrycan and squeeze the bulb a few times then start. You may see some white smoke but that’s alright. Let it run idle for a few minutes and then slowly rev it up a bit.

Go.Fish’s advice is sound. If you have a Philips, see if you can drain that bowl. Sometimes, water from old gas gets trapped in the bowl and you can easily drain it. Good luck man.
I guess the thing does have oars too but I always seem to go around in circles when I'm trying to drink my beer.

Not to rub it in but Jesus Christ do you ever have a lot of boat issues. Talk about a run of bad luck.
This has been going on 8 years now. No joke. Every trip I've ever planned on a boat has come with issues. I didn't even talk about both water pumps going last week in egmont.

I picked up a bottle if this Merc Quickclean stuff from a dealer in town. He says it's the same-ish as sea foam. Anyone ever try it?

99.9% of small engine issues are the carb. Those jets are just so tiny a microscopic piece gets in the system and it’s not gonna run. never used sea foam but taking it apart and some compressed air works wonders.
you need to go to c-tire and buy one (or more) of those little tool kits that go on for 75% off and pack it in your boat/rv/truck.

These small engines have very tiny carb jets that clog very easily. You mustn't use ethanol in them or store without stabilizer. Ever.

Back