Halibut dispatching with lead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always lot the bonk was to stun it to make it easier to cut the gills.
Absolutely Right! Trying to gill a thrashing fish with a sharp knife on a rolling boat is just nuts - unsafe and entirely wrong. Fogetaboutit.

Callie Ann, you are a Newby. Be safe. Most people here have hunted and fished for a lifetime. They know how to treat their meat. Please bonk the keepers first, then gill 'em. The taste of the fish is still excellent if you will then ice them immediately, too.

I cought a 150# off of Marble Island 20 years ago with a guide. By the time I got it to the boat it was exhausted, the guide sliped a rope through it's mouth and out the gills. He tied it off the side of the boat, then cut the flesh on one side of the spine at the narrow by the tail. He said that stops the beast from flapping it's tail, which can cause a lot of damage. He tied another rope on the cut tail and tied it off at the back of the boat. He then untied the front and the four of us flopped it onto the swim bridge, and tied the other rope to the other side.

Not to strike the wrong nerves here but buddy and me were discussing if it was actually legal to shoot a halibut boatside? I was reading the regs but didn't see anything saying we can't. Whats your thoughts
Considering the gun laws that state you can only transport a hand gun to and from your gun club. If fisherman are packing hand guns, then someone will screw up, and that will ruin it for everyone and also give the rec fisher a new public status that I'm sure nobody wants. Bash its brains and let the heart pump out the blood through its sliced gills. If you need to have a gun on board your boat, then in my eyes it looks like it would be for another purpose. Figure it out man, why do you think its not already allowed?
IMG_7456.gif

Considering the gun laws that state you can only transport a hand gun to and from your gun club. If fisherman are packing hand guns, then someone will screw up, and that will ruin it for everyone and also give the rec fisher a new public status that I'm sure nobody wants. Bash its brains and let the heart pump out the blood through its sliced gills. If you need to have a gun on board your boat, then in my eyes it looks like it would be for another purpose. Figure it out man, why do you think its not already allowed?
View attachment 79980
Never said anything about handguns.... and sorry you feel that way, but I think you're speculating and making something out of nothing.. It was a simple question bud. As far as where you can pack a long arm or why you might have one on a boat is not the question.

Never said anything about handguns.... and sorry you feel that way, but I think you're speculating and making something out of nothing.. It was a simple question bud. As far as where you can pack a long arm or why you might have one on a boat is not the question.
Presumably to shoot a halibut you wouldn't be using a squirt gun, I was giving you my thought, and was simply answered. I was answering the question, but you didn't like my answer. Easy big fella!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back