Haida gwaii trip

slaydown

Hey guys/gals
Just booked a trip to the island end of July/early August. I have been doing lots of research and already found some spots that look pretty cool. Just wanted to ask anyone here if they have any pointers, we are there 8 full days but dont want to miss anything amazing. 8 days is probably not even enough time but with travel from mainland to rupert a bunch of days got eaten for travel with the little ones. It's going to be my family of 4 with new pup and my buddy and his wife. We both have truck/camper combos. Just sold my boat and honestly not wanting to do much ocean fishing for once. We want to mainly hike, explore, chill on the beach and see come haida culture. I was reading about a museum that sounded good. Going to book a charter for a day, but would love to dip net crab and do some clamming if open. Would prefer to beach camp but I'm hearing two opposing views on that. Any info as always is greatly appreciated. And feel free to PM me, we will leave every spot better than we found it. I know some pieces of paradise get ruined from morons.

Agate Beach up by Masset is pretty cool, not many places in Canada you can drive on the beach. We took a 1 ton work truck out for a drive, I was worried a little but the sand/gravel was really compact and we just followed the tracks from previous vehicles. Not sure about the extra weight of a camper though.

I heard from guys I know that worked up in Sandspit about going out at night at low tide and getting stuff, think it was octopus, flipping rocks over. Not sure of what time of year though.

Agate beach is a beautiful camp spot, stayed there for a week with family of 4 and our dog, similar set up to you. Peddled bikes on the beach, dip netting for crabs was fun, driving on the beach, hiking to the tow hill lookout, incredible views towards Alaska. Port Clements has nice hiking trails. Take a float plane tour into Gwaii Haanas UNESCO site. Kids loved the fresh baked cinnamon buns at over the moon in Naikoon bakery, converted school bus. So much to see and do. That’ll be an amazing trip for you guys.

We were there a few years ago and did a day trip to Rennell sound. Fair warning..it is a steep drive down into the sound but there are campsites there and it looked like an amazing, protected place to hang out. There is also a cool lake ( Yakoun Lake ) to stop at for a swim on the way there ( a short hike ). We were there pre-Covid ( around early August ) and were amazed how many open campsites there were. Just remember...get gas whenever you see it as they sometimes run out..enjoy

Dover trail in Sandspit is worth it. It's not a big commitment, scenery up the creek is nice. All the above recommendations are good.
Tow hill is good, short trail, bit of elevation, great view. There are some neat beaches past the boat launch/camp site at Rennell Sound, don't fear the hill. It's steep but not an issue unless there's something unique about your vehicle.

If you go crab dip netting, I found deeper is better. I had way more success in 3'+ of water than the people who wouldn't go past their knees or waist.

If you can find someone to take you to Chaatl it's worth checking out. Would tie in well with a charter day, easy stop without having to go out of the way, plus it would take you to the west side in some of the more interesting scenery. Fishing out of Masset is fine, but you won't get the same scenery bonus.

Back