Howe Sound halibut

sushieater

I was by Anvil island last weekend and it looked like a few boats were halibut fishing. I didn't get too close but that's what it looked like to me and halibut looked open if I read the regs correctly? Is there good halibut fishing in Howe Sound? I see there's the sponge reef closures that you have to avoid. That area and halibut fishing in general are both pretty new to me. Thanks!

No. And depending where you saw them possibly fishing in a closed area anvil has a few RCAs / sponge reefs.

I had heard halibut were pretty scarce up there. Strange it would be open if that's the case.

Can anyone confirm if I'm reading the regs correctly?

For area 28 it shows -/-/10 which is a little unusual, but I think makes sense if the quota differs depending on size.
1666225514340.png

and in the notes below it states the following which seems to me that it is open without doubt

1666225581513.png

I had heard halibut were pretty scarce up there. Strange it would be open if that's the case.

Can anyone confirm if I'm reading the regs correctly?

For area 28 it shows -/-/10 which is a little unusual, but I think makes sense if the quota differs depending on size.
View attachment 86237

and in the notes below it states the following which seems to me that it is open without doubt

View attachment 86238
They don't mind opening anything if there will be minimal impact....which is the case other than the odd unicorn

They don’t call it “Halibut Bank” for no reason. I bet there are Halibut around. We get them at Nootka inside the Sound quite often. They don’t need to be off shore.

I knew a guy-ex commercial troller- who caught a small Halibut on Halibut Bank and while it was a small fish he always insisted it was a Hali not Flounder (which is all I ever caught there on trips out of Gibsons back in the day)

Every area from Seattle up to the queen charlottes on the inside was out fished by steamships pulling in millions of pounds per year

Every area from Seattle up to the queen charlottes on the inside was out fished by steamships pulling in millions of pounds per year
You’d think they would rebound if nobody fishes for them anymore and it’s been so long. But I guess Howe sound isn’t the best water to hang out in for your entire life as a fish

Closer and closer to the west we go the halibut are more abundant or willing to bite. Choose your battles boys

There is humps between gibsons and Powell river that hold Hali, just good luck hearing about them . I’ve personally got have got two , one small ping pong paddle targeting them , and fluked into one 70 lber off anderson bay on a live herring . There is guys that put the time in and get them

Last edited:
Probably not enough to target with any decent success rate but they pass through. If you put in LOTS of time you might get one. Two years ago a guide caught an 80lb halibut in tunstall bay this time of year trolling bottom for springs. There's probably certain times of the year they pass through as you do hear of the odd one taken. I've also heard a report that the commercial long liners in the straight who target dogfish get into halibut from time to time when they set at greater depths - over 400'. But I think that is around Nanaimo and also seasonal.

I would have to think the best chance of catching one locally would be to anchor in front of the Fraser around this time of year as the river spits out spawned out salmon carcasses. But you'll probably never get one as the dogfish will not leave you alone. And even then you're just as likely to catch a skate as a hali. I've never tried it but maybe one day.

West Coast is more their habitat. I don't think they were ever widely abundant in inside waters like they are outside.

Could those boats could have been laying out parwan traps and you thought they were fishing for hali? orange floats for the prawn traps and they were staying close?

If you follow the DFO estimates for Halibut in Areas 15/17 & 28/29, there was something around 700 halibut caught - almost 10,000 pounds. Seems like a lot of Starry Flounders being mistaken for halibut to me...but there you go. Halibut apparently abound. Based on speaking with guides and tackle store owners from Vancouver, they hardly EVER see halibut....but get a lot of people coming in with pictures of Starry Founders - AKA...Halibut. Thinking we have a bunch of people out there reporting flounders as halibut in the iREC surveys.

Is there something about this side of the island that doesn't make it good habitat for them?

Back