Fraser River Sockeye

devers

I know it is a little early but everyone has had their eye on 2014 Fraser River sockeye run given the huge run in 2010. Well here is the first indications I have found on the outlook for the 2014 run -

Anticipated salmon run could overwhelm Fraser River this summer, experts say

MARK HUME

VANCOUVER — The Globe and Mail

If the early signals are correct, the Fraser River could have the biggest salmon run in B.C. history this summer, with up to 72 million sockeye returning.

That would be more than double the record number that came back in 2010, when about 30 million sockeye flooded into the Fraser, overwhelming fish plants with such bounty they ran out of ice and storage boxes

“I mean, it’s hard to fathom,” Rollie Rose, president of Sooke Salmon Charters Ltd., said in an interview of the magnitude of the projections from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

He told colleagues in a recent e-mail: “The news could not be any better … you will see fishing this year better than you have seen in your lifetime.”

Good ocean conditions for salmon in the past two years have resulted in forecasts of big runs all along the West Coast, extending into the United States, where officials recently predicted three million Chinook and coho for the Columbia River.

But the Fraser is expected to get the biggest return because the sockeye coming back are the progeny of the 2010 run, which was the largest in nearly 100 years.

Les Jantz, DFO’s acting area director for the B.C. Interior, said it is too early to say with certainty just how many sockeye will return. The forecast ranges from a low of 7.3 million to a high of 72.5 million.

If it is at the high end, he said, it will top anything seen in the Fraser “as long as we’ve been keeping records.”

Even at a conservative mid-range estimate of 23 million sockeye, it would be a prodigious run in a river where stocks have declined dramatically for nearly two decades, with runs of two to four million common. The run hit a low of 1.3 million in 2009 before bouncing back unexpectedly the next year in what many thought was a “one off” event.

In 2010, DFO saw signs of a good year and predicted four million to 29 million sockeye would return. As the season advanced, managers realized the high end would be reached.

A similar scenario may unfold this year, as fisheries managers begin to get hard data from sports anglers and commercial fishermen during early openings. By July, the numbers should be firm.

But Mr. Jantz said even at this early date, there is reason for excitement, because ocean conditions have been very good for salmon for the past three years, and a record number of young sockeye migrated out of the Fraser in the spring of 2012. Those fish would have encountered prime conditions, with upwellings of cold water that salmon prefer and are rich with the zooplankton and phytoplankton blooms young fish eat.

“We’re always cautious. That’s built into our system,” he said. “But it’s certainly looking good .”

Wilf Luedke, DFO’s chief of stock assessment on the south coast, said the Fraser is not the only watershed that is looking good.

Mr. Luedke said there are indications of strong chinook and coho runs to several rivers, and a big sockeye run is expected to the Somas River on Vancouver Island.

Like Mr. Jantz, he credited ocean conditions.

“That’s not the only factor, but it’s the biggest one,” he said.

He also noted that last year, large numbers of jack coho, chinook and sockeye returned to rivers. Jacks are immature fish that come back a year early. When a lot of them return, it usually signals a big run of mature fish will follow.

Mr. Luedke cautioned the forecast will not be certain until “ the hooks and nets hit the water.”

Ernie Crey, fisheries adviser to the Sto:lo Tribal Council, said the forecast numbers are amazing.

“I think sockeye will be a banner year,” he said.

But Mr. Crey urged DFO not to allow too much fishing before the actual size of the run is known.

“I say yes, be excited, and it’s wonderful we’re looking at this tremendous year in front of us. But I am always one to encourage them to exercise a bit of caution,” he said.

Area 20 Gillnet test last night was 49 sockeye with no fish at Whonnock test site in the river.

If this pans out ,wen would one expect the madness to begin up in Johnston say browns-bay area??

Not positive but i think it would be near the end of August.
Others might be able to nail down a date.

Not positive but i think it would be near the end of August.
Others might be able to nail down a date.

thanks Gil. I was thinking mid aug as I remember trying to stay away from pinks to get them. hopefully some one has a better memory of it and can educate me so I can forget again.

Fish begin spawning in the Adams River in late September, earlier on large peak years and, like most runs, many show up to the lake weeks ahead of spawning and hold while undergoing their final maturation. So, big numbers will be in Shuswap Lake by early-mid September and it is roughly a 3-week migration up the Fraser and Thompson to Shu Lake. So big numbers will be off the mouth of the Fraser in mid-August. Not sure how long it takes the fish that take the inside route to make it from Campbell River to the mouth of the Fraser. If anyone knows, should be able to back calculate to estimate when the first fish will show in that area and when they'll peak. My best guess would be mid-August should approximate the peak of the run past the Campbell River area if they're going to make it to Shu Lake and it's tribs by October (say 2-3 weeks in oceans and 3-weeks up the Fraser/Thompson).

Ukee

I hope we get the repeat of 2010..that was an awesome year. In south JDF there were so many of them when they passed through... But we are also used to having them pass through and then DFO announcing its open.... Happens so many times...We get them for weeks...Than they open it when they are gone. I am just hoping that doesn't happen this year.

It stayed open until the run ended.

It stayed open until the run ended.
Out at sandheads by the
second week in September they were coloured up, looking like grey ghosts or some had a pink hue to them.
We also had to spend all day getting a few fish, rather then a couple hours for 8-12 fish

Released my first sockeye this year today.

I spotted two schools with jumpers in the north arm of the Fraser on Thursday. They're coming.

It may be nothing like 2010. So far arrivals in The usual approach areas are much much less than 2010 at this early stage of the game.

They will open it when they're good and ready and are able to scientifically determine the 50% probability level and if that supports a sport fishery.

Wait and see is the game to play.

It may be nothing like 2010. So far arrivals in The usual approach areas are much much less than 2010 at this early stage of the game.

They will open it when they're good and ready and are able to scientifically determine the 50% probability level and if that supports a sport fishery.

Wait and see is the game to play.

I said I spotted two schools in the fraser, didn't say it would be the same as 2010. And you're wrong, the test catch numbers are about the same as 2010. In fact they are higher on average than 2010 with the exception of July 4th which they didn't catch much. This is still the early summer run and summer run. The big one is the late adams river run in mid-late august.

Area 20 - Gillnet results.

2010 2014
Jul-01 43 131
Jul-02 311 164
Jul-03 213 296
Jul-04 361 24
Jul-05 243 206
Jul-06 154 235

Back