Fraser River Sockeye

Has anyone heard anything lately about test counts, etc re the Fraser River run ?

The predictions that are circulating about bumper sockeye returns are by the same people who forecast a very low return 4 years ago. We all know the result, just wait & see is best

Agree McDonalds is a good ramp influenced greatly by tides. It easily handles my Hewes 18 1/2'. Suggest you do a pre-launch run out to McDonalds at low tide to make sure it can handle your boat.

Agree McDonalds is a good ramp influenced greatly by tides. It easily handles my Hewes 18 1/2'. Suggest you do a pre-launch run out to McDonalds at low tide to make sure it can handle your boat.
Also factor in the river level at New Westminster for high and low tides and consider that for any calculations for launch and retrieve for August. At low tide with low river levels "MacDonald beach" can become the "MacDonald B*tch" for those of us with larger Dee vee hulls

Also factor in the river level at New Westminster for high and low tides and consider that for any calculations for launch and retrieve for August. At low tide with low river levels "MacDonald beach" can become the "MacDonald B*tch" for those of us with larger Dee vee hulls

That's my worry. So where would you ideally launch

Dude go hit some launches at various tides so you get a feel for what and when is the best way.
The launch at the end of #2 road and Wellington Point Park are options as well. Most are going to be fairly steep at low tides.

Good luck

Hey guys, how do I get to Mcdonald beach ramp? Been yrs since I launched there. Coming out from the Wack. Going to stage my boat at my moms in Surrey. 96th and Scott rd area near the Donegals pub. Lol

McDonald Beach is a very good boat launch at all but extremely low tides. I am talking say 2' or less. I have been launching there since '01, numerous times per year and it is rare that you can't get your boat in or out on a low tide. Now in saying all this I just happened to launch there last Saturday on a 1' tide. I was able to get the boat in but I had to use my kicker to get me out of the launch area due to the fact there was only about 2-3' water there. I have an older 18.5' Double Eagle with an I/O just to give you an idea of what I am launching.

Hope soars for new sockeye record as big cycle returns to B.C.’s Fraser River (with video)

Sockeye smashed all expectations in the river in 2010. Out on the ocean, there are early signs of big sockeye returns again

By Rob Shaw, Vancouver SunJuly 26, 2014

VICTORIA — When Mike Kelly hits the pristine waters off northern Vancouver Island, the veteran fisherman is thrilled with what he sees. “I’m seeing a tonne of sockeye,” said Kelly, the owner of Tides and Tales fishing charters out of Port Hardy. “Every day I’ve been out in the last week, where I go we can see the sockeye jumping.”

It’s the kind of news that has B.C.’s fishing industry buzzing with anticipation as it prepares for what some say could be a monster salmon season.

Already, there are reports of better-than-expected runs of coho and chinook. The halibut year has been excellent too, fishermen say. But all eyes are on sockeye — B.C.’s most valuable salmon species, and one of the most exciting to catch.

The province had a historic run in 2010, with 30 million sockeye returning to the Fraser River. The huge numbers surprised and overwhelmed some in the industry.

The four-year maturity cycle means this summer could be a repeat. No one will know for sure for another couple of weeks, when the federal government will decide what kind of fishing is allowed on the Fraser. Even experts admit predicting salmon runs is a bit of a guessing game.

But Kelly said from what he sees he’s confident it will be a record year.

“We’re at the top end of the Island, so all those fish, as they make their way to the Fraser, go past us,” he said. “We’re seeing them out there now. It’s widespread and phenomenal.”

It all adds up to an “exceptional” year so far, Kelly said.

That’s good news for B.C.’s $2.2-billion fishing and aquaculture industry, which employs around 14,000 people. Many of those small businesses, like Kelly’s, ride out the annual ups and downs as best they can.

Kelly, a 40-year-old former commercial fisherman, spent more than $30,000 on a new boat just before the 2008 recession.

The economic downturn curtailed discretionary spending and scared off corporate clients of his charter fishing business, mainly from the United States. That dovetailed with the 2009 collapse of the Fraser River sockeye fishery. The one-two punch devastated many recreational and commercial fishing businesses.

“If it wasn’t for my repeat clientele, I would have been in real trouble,” said Kelly, who started his own charter business in 2003 and also has a young family. “It was my repeat clients that kept me afloat.” Especially those with cash from Alberta’s oilpatch, he said.

“The recession tapered off the amount of fun spending people would do, and they tended to watch their pennies a bit more,” Kelly said. “You can track how our business is going to go based on how the stock market is doing.”

Fresh and saltwater recreational fishing adds $1.2 billion to B.C.’s economy annually, with $936 million from ocean-based fishing.

A healthy fishing season has a big spinoff effect on money spent for things like moorage, boats, tackle, bait, hotels and fuel, said Owen Bird, executive director of the Sport Fishing Institute of B.C.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/busines...+with+video/10064056/story.html#ixzz38bzuyuSI

I love catching and eating Sockeye, but this writer says and I quote, 'most exciting to catch.' I guess if you are using a five weight fly rod this would be true, but that is not really what happens in the salt, they are horsed in and netted as fast as possible. It's a harvest fishery for the most part.

I love catching and eating Sockeye, but this writer says and I quote, 'most exciting to catch.' I guess if you are using a five weight fly rod this would be true, but that is not really what happens in the salt, they are horsed in and netted as fast as possible. It's a harvest fishery for the most part.

Not the first time the media "added" or embellished to provide more impact to a story however he does say "one of the most exciting to catch" and I'd have to say I agree somewhat because of the non-stop action a times with triples and quads all coming in a short time. Exciting fight not really but exciting action, yes.

Not the first time the media "added" or embellished to provide more impact to a story however he does say "one of the most exciting to catch" and I'd have to say I agree somewhat because of the non-stop action a times with triples and quads all coming in a short time. Exciting fight not really but exciting action, yes.

Yes, I agree, exciting because of the double and triple headers, can be lots of fun!

very true - but they can be fun if you DO use fly rods or steelhead gear and mini flashers. Gotta match your gear to the fish you're targeting, no sense using 40lb test and pool cue rods.

Back