Forum members BOATS

That thing is beautiful! Rare as can be, a sweet rig.

18 hourston

My 18' hourston hardtop. 2004 opti 150

Attachments

• P6041312.jpg
    P6041312.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,029
  • P6041284.jpg
    P6041284.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 958
  • P7010243.jpg
    P7010243.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 971
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the 2 Ive been running... The new ones coming soon so I'd better get selling..

Attachments

• IMGP3150.jpg
    IMGP3150.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 972
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 969
Back issues convinced me to get a new charter boat for 2011. My back tells me it was worth it! 38ft Fountain lx M/V Overkill.

Attachments

• fountain 01.jpg
    fountain 01.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,067
  • fountain 02.jpg
    fountain 02.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,009
  • fountain.jpg
    fountain.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,014
Ken, I admired that boat every time I walked past it at the Ukee govy - sure makes me feel small in my little 17 Arima :D

It is not just your boat that is in a class of its own - the Captains fish catching abilities seem to be in a class of its own too!!

I am surprised that you kept the Penn riggers - did you like them?

Why thanks for the compliment!
I did keep the penn downriggers, I find them nicer to fish with. My preference.
I seen this thread a while back and didn't post any pictures, didn't want to brag about my boat. There are so many awsome pictures of great boats on this thread. Nice to see all the others fishermen that love thier boats too and where they take them. I by no means could afford this sucker if I wasn't making money with it. 17ft Arima would be more like it. Going thru the paperwork now to sell the last bit of my soul to put three new 300's on. Last year was the first time that I've ran without warrenty and it cost me lots. 2012 should work out better!
Trying to put a face and name to the 17ft Arima??
Ken, I admired that boat every time I walked past it at the Ukee govy - sure makes me feel small in my little 17 Arima :D

It is not just your boat that is in a class of its own - the Captains fish catching abilities seem to be in a class of its own too!!

I am surprised that you kept the Penn riggers - did you like them?

Ken, my name is Johan - honestly, I'm probabaly just too intimidated to chat when I walk by as you are usually busy cleaning fish and taking care of your clients.

I will stop by and say hello next time.

My Arima is usually at the dock quite a bit during the summer months - 5 years in a row. It is a 17 Chaser with a blue top.

Nice to see a guy who is humble enough to acknowledge the fisherman in the small boat.
I don't know either of you, but you both have great rigs in my opinion.
Awesome! :)

Pretty sure we saw ya at cree/effingham.. Not too many boats around of that calibre.. I thought 500 bish cruised... WOW!!!

Back issues convinced me to get a new charter boat for 2011. My back tells me it was worth it! 38ft Fountain lx M/V Overkill.

You blasted by me a couple of times heading into ukee. Sounds good! Can you get on top of the swells here or do you do 20-30 mph offshore like the rest of us? Tough looking boat, good marketing and from the sounds of it a fishy skipper!

Take care,
MS

Johan, Stop by next summer for a chat. I may be able to point you in the right direction to fish on you first days.

I'll answer a few other questions. The 20 kicker is comming off and it is Merc Verodos that are going on. The kicker doesn't have the charging capabillities to keep the power steering going and the voltage goes down. Stefan at RPM marine in Tofino was good to me last year. He runs a professional shop and changing brands would cost me a fair bit more. The boat is already setup with Mecury power steering and repropping would take some time and money too. I'm goint to run with the Merc's. The mileage is not as bad as the three engines would indicate, aproximately 1mile/gallon at 48 mph. The boat has a stepped hull. This removes most of the drag allowing the boat to slip thru the water more efficiently than most. I have restrucured my pricing to include fuel at the end of a trip so the fuel cost doesn't mater so much anymore. I just wanted to make the same money every day. The ride is amazing! When a regular 24ftr runs at 20 in 1.5 meter seas the Fountain does 30-35, when others do 25 the Fountain does 35-45 with the same ride and comfort when flat calm and others can run 30-40 the beast does up to 60+. Those style boats are designed to go faster than slow. Amazingly the ride can smooth out when going faster in rough seas. The boat takes the waves with the bow rather than the belly. You just wish there was a five point harness to hold you in! It is always fun to hear my guests cheer when we dig into a swell at 45, the boat throwes an impressive wall of water that flies over 100ft to the side.

Many years I fished out of smaller boats. Years ago we fished out at Sail rock from Toquart bay in my 12ft zode in March. It felt like we had gone to the moon and back. We would stack two rods on the one scotty crank downrigger. A ten pound winter looked huge in that little boat and we we apretiated them alot. Any boat that gets you out on the water safely and bacy is a great boat.imo My bussiness was built in a 24ft 1974 searay that was custom rebuilt three times over twenty years. that is still an awsome offshore hull that served me well.
In Ukee everybody has been continuely upgrading thier charter services. In the race to "keep up with the Joneses" I didn't want to be looking into a new boat within a few years so this is how I ended where I am now.lol The present U.S. economic condition has made boats cosiderably more affordable as of late. Fountain makes a great 26ftr with the same quick hull and is much more affordable. Other comparable boats to look at are Contender of Wellcraft Scarab.
Happy boatting and good fishing to you all.
Ken, my name is Johan - honestly, I'm probabaly just too intimidated to chat when I walk by as you are usually busy cleaning fish and taking care of your clients.

I will stop by and say hello next time.

My Arima is usually at the dock quite a bit during the summer months - 5 years in a row. It is a 17 Chaser with a blue top.

I know this isn't my boat, but I just want to see this boat on the water...Man its itimidating sitting on the trailer. I think this may be my ultimate boat...The 28 foot is sweet aswell. And the fact it is aluminum is the cherry on the sundae with that hull design.

http://www.jaxoncraft.com/jxc30hardtop.html

Great boats for sure but to put you in the almost same class as Ken you need this one...............

http://www.aluminumboatdesigns.com/stock/36ftpatrolboat.htm

I really like the 26 walkaround design and I have been talking with Bruce about lengthening it a couple of feet.

http://www.aluminumboatdesigns.com/stock/26ftwalkaround.htm

Johan, Stop by next summer for a chat. I may be able to point you in the right direction to fish on you first days.

Ken, Thank you very much for your generous offer to give me some pointers. I look forward to chatting with you!

johan

Back