fish farm siting criteria & politics

It looks like consumers will soon be paying more for Chilean farmed salmon. This makes a 10% premium for closed tank produced salmon look like a good deal.

New sanitary regulation will increase costs by 30%
http://www.fishfarmingxpert.com/index.php?page_id=76&article_id=85950

Chile: Implementation of the new sanitary requirements set up by the companies and the authority to surpass the sanitary crisis caused by the ISA virus will increase the costs for the Chilean salmon industry by 30% according to the SalmonChile's chairman César Barros.

Christian Pérez

Barros underlined that this cost will enable the industry to be "much more sustainable in the long term". Furthermore, he stated that thanks to the 54 sanitary measures implemented by the SalmonChile associate companies -30 of them will be enforced by the new regulation- the industry has been reducing the mortality rates caused by ISA virus and sea lice.

According to Diario Financiero within the new sanitary measures, the Chilean salmon industry will have to reduce the farming densities in order to avoid infection and spread of diseases. In addition, a production halt of three months in each site after harvest will be implemented.

Among others, the industry will also have to invest strongly in vaccination of every fish before entering the sea, adequate mortality handling and processing, and biosafe transportation between farms.

Also from Chile, an $11 million investment in a land based salmon farm. With their production in shambles, the cash strapped company can still find the money for a major new investment. The Norwegian multi-nationals here should take note.

AquaChile will invest USD 11 million on inland farming

http://www.fishfarmingxpert.com/index.php?page_id=76&article_id=85956

Chile: AquaChile already started the procedures required by the public Environmental Impact Assessment System (SEIA) to develop a new project to farm inland the full life-cycle of Atlantic salmon in Pargua (close to Calbuco in the 10th Region) throughout their different stages from eggs, fry, smolts and adults to breeders, with an expected spawning of 50 million annual eggs free of diseases.

Christian Pérez

According to the SEIA report the egg production will be sold to the local market as a real and biosafe alternative to replace the importations of breeding material and helping with it to preserve the national sanitary patrimony.

The company explained in the report that the inland farm will work with a recycling water system "that controls both the production parameters and the environmental variables in each room separately" using "state of the art technology to disinfect equally affluent and effluents".

Finally, AquaChile stated that through this project they intend to contribute to a better sanitary condition in the Chilean salmon industry by supplying eggs free of diseases the year around, using recycling water technologies to avoid sanitary risks from any external source.

Oh no cuttlefish, THIS CAN'T be done, no way, no technology there, not feasible, utter non-sense, garanteed to fail, uneconomical, not necessary ... ;)

Maybe some of them finally smarten up. I'd hate to be in the shoes of sockeyefry and other sturdy defenders of the ONE and ONLY way to farm fish = open sea pens. [xx(] Must be tough to look back in time and realize "how could I have been to dumb and blind...!" Mind you there are always some who will never even get to this point (e.g. W.G. Bush etc) :D

Ya know Chris, I've said it before and I will say it again: When ya don't know what you are talking about you should shut your trap. This is one of the times you should have shut your trap.

The article that Cuttle has posted refers to a BROODSTOCK production site. It will grow salmon from egg to adult for the purpose of obtaining eggs, not for sale as food. There are several of these already in existence in Canada, and have been for a decade or more. They produce salmon eggs, not salmon steaks. And yes they will produce fish, but at a very high cost, and at a very low production level for that cost. And Oh yeah BTW ran one of these also.

Hey Cuttle did you read the article about Morton in the FFExpert?

quote:Hey Cuttle did you read the article about Morton in the FFExpert?
I may have, I don't know which one you refer to. There have been a few.
However, I'm not interested in talking about people, I would prefer to stick to exploring ideas.
BTW, Thanks for pointing out that Chilean land based farm is for egg production. What would you estimate the total biomass of fish, fry to broodstock to be at that facility to produce 50 million eggs annually?

quote:Originally posted by cuttlefish

quote:Hey Cuttle did you read the article about Morton in the FFExpert?
I may have, I don't know which one you refer to. There have been a few.
However, I'm not interested in talking about people, I would prefer to stick to exploring ideas.
BTW, Thanks for pointing out that Chilean land based farm is for egg production. What would you estimate the total biomass of fish, fry to broodstock to be at that facility to produce 50 million eggs annually?
Interesting question.

As you probably know, you need to know the average fecundity of the female broodstock Atlantic salmon. That depends upon their average size (weight or length), but is probably is from 1000 to 4000 eggs. I would suspect that the hatchery uses smaller than average sized fish, as compared to wild stocks.

Sockeyefry probably has more accurate numbers.

In any event, you are looking at something like 50,000 females used for broodstock to produce these eggs.

Then you have to have a new crop of maturing broodstock every year.

So, assuming age at ***ual maturity of 2 years (hatchery can rush this a bit by altering photoperiod and feed rate), you need another crop of 50,000+ coming behind the first bunch.

W/o knowing hatchery mortality from fry to age at maturity - it's fairly hard to predict how many fry are needed to produce that amount of age 1 and age 2 fish.

But expect another 50,000-150,000 fry (which weigh very little).

The estimate of biomass would be something like 50,000 x 1kg weight for age 1 fish, and something like 50,000 x 3+ kg weight for the broodstock.

So something like 200,000 kg or better is the living biomass of the hatchery, which then would require something like 4000 kg of feed daily.

Sockeyefry might have better numbers

Cuttle,

You get about 8000 - 10000 eyed eggs from a 10kg female. To produce 50,000,000 eyed eggs you would have to spawn 5-6000. These fish would be in year class four from egg. You would also have to keep fish in years classes 1,2&3. It is alot of money to spend to produce 6000 fish of 10 kgs = 60,000kgs. However the security that it provides from a health perspective is worth the cost. Too bad for them they didn't do it earlier and relied on imported eggs from Norway every year.

BTW in BC eggs are not imported. Companies produce their own from brood fish grown specifically for that purpose. There are even facilities like this one, although not as big, on Vancouver Island.

Cuttle,

You get about 8000 - 10000 eyed eggs from a 10kg female. To produce 50,000,000 eyed eggs you would have to spawn 5-6000. These fish would be in year class four from egg. You would also have to keep fish in years classes 1,2&3. It is alot of money to spend to produce 6000 fish of 10 kgs = 60,000kgs. However the security that it provides from a health perspective is worth the cost. Too bad for them they didn't do it earlier and relied on imported eggs from Norway every year.

BTW in BC eggs are not imported. Companies produce their own from brood fish grown specifically for that purpose. There are even facilities like this one, although not as big, on Vancouver Island.

quote:Originally posted by sockeyefry

Cuttle,

So, you must keep the brood fish in pens, also? Where on Vancouver Island are they? How many brood fish per pen?

quote:Originally posted by sockeyefry

Cuttle,

So, you must keep the brood fish in pens, also? Where on Vancouver Island are they? How many brood fish per pen?

Charlie, I am not sure if this is helpful but I known that there is one Marine Harvest Canada operation and hatchery in Duncan on VI.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Charlie, I am not sure if this is helpful but I known that there is one Marine Harvest Canada operation and hatchery in Duncan on VI.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Charlie,

Governor is correct, Marine harvest has one in Duncan. Cooke Aqua has 2 in NB.

Currently however, most of the brood fish are grown the same as production fish, except they are held up to one extra year in the SW. I say up to because some companies have on shore holding facilites into which they transfer the brood after 2 years at sea.

It is my understanding that all of the companies have plans to begin growing the brood fish entirely on land in closed containment systems.

quote:Originally posted by agentaqua

The Tyee, 21st September 2009

DFO named in aquaculture class action suit

By Colleen Kimmett

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) has been drawn into what could be a precedent-setting case for aboriginal rights in British Columbia.

Last Thursday the federal government was named as a co-defendant in a class action lawsuit dealing with fish farms, sea lice and wild salmon in the Broughton Archipelago. The suit was originally filed against the provincial government by the Kwicksutaineuk/Ah-Kwa-Mish First Nation (KAFN), whose traditional territory includes the Broughton. KAFN Chief Bob Chamberlin is the representative plaintiff.

Chamberlin said the way in which the province has managed aquaculture in the region has contributed to a decline in wild salmon populations, and therefore infringed upon KAFN fishing rights. They are seeking an injunction prohibiting salmon aquaculture permits in the Broughton Archipelago until adequate consultation and accommodation has taken place.

Lead counsel JJ Camp said this suit is the first class action lawsuit addressing aboriginal rights in British Columbia.

"The purpose is to give these nations who customarily fish in these waters access to justice as a group so that they are not trying to bring individual actions which are difficult, time consuming and expensive," he said. "The reverse side of that coin is that the courts don’t want to have similar lawsuits inundating the courts."

The province filed the motion to name the federal government as co-defendants in light of a February, 2009 Supreme Court ruling that the DFO, not the province of B.C., should be responsible for managing fish farms.

Chamberlin has been working with the First Nations Fisheries Council and the DFO to help develop a new federal framework for regulating aquaculture. After being barred from a meeting with Fisheries Minister Gail Shea earlier this month, he speculated that it was because the DFO had become involved in the suit.

"I'm hoping that's not the reason why, but that's the only difference between our relationship, or our lack of relationship, with the feds from three weeks ago until today," said Chamberlin. "I'm no stranger to the DFO circle. I thought we were making some progress."

Neither the DFO nor the province would comment as the case is before the courts.

Colleen Kimmett reports for The Tyee.

http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/Rights-Justice/2009/09/21/DFOnamed/

You know whats so funny about this article? A couple things.

1) Chamberlain is a goof ball chief using the fish farm debate to get his 15 minutes of fame. i think he has about 20 people in his band. And they dont seem to like fishing, let alone depend on it because ..

2) There were so many pinks and chums this year in the Broughton and Campbell river area- fish farm central- that they opened up the fishery for gillnetters, trollers and seiners. Guess what? THEY HAD TO CLOSE THEM DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST!!! Hilarious!

I cant wait til the court case where Bob has to explain how the fish farmers are killing off their livliehoods when in fact the fish are present in record numbers AND the KFN couldnt be bothered to fish them because there is no market for the slimy lousy pinks in a bad year let alone a record year like this one. 2009 and 2000 were both record pink return years, both occurred amongst the salmon farms producing 10's of thousands of tons of glorious BC farmed salmon. 2005 was pretty darn good too- not exactly fulfilling the extrinction prophesy of anti salmon farmer computer models.

Guess what anti-farmers: there is soooo many pinks and chum in the rivers now that just like 2001 there will probably be a down year in 2011.

Look at it this way handee even if you are a paid agitator for fish farming interests, fish farming is just another way to crap in our waters!!! The Norwegians can move their crap somewhere else.I don't give a royal crap how good you think they are!
:(:(

IMG_1445.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Gunsmith

Look at it this way handee even if you are a paid agitator for fish farming interests, fish farming is just another way to crap in our waters!!! The Norwegians can move their crap somewhere else.I don't give a royal crap how good you think they are!
:(:(

IMG_1445.jpg

hey gunsmith, you sound angry. i thought ignorance was supposed to be blissful. curses on all those pinks and chums not going extinct eh? blows the whole salmon farming is evil hypothesis. Did you know that a stock of sockeye (loughborough inlet),right next door to the salmon farms, also had a great year?

Now how come the Skeena (nowhere near salmon farms) AND the Fraser (pretty far away) had such dismal returns? and how come all the rivers near salmon farms were, once again, bursting with adult fish despite being in the centre of the salmon farm industry.

Whats really strange is that the pinks and chums that returned with such great abundance had successfully snuck by the salmon farms at 0.5 grams in size while the sockeye would have been aboout 20x bigger and more resistant.

Also salmon farms have not changed their practices and have been producing the same amount of farm fish for the past 6 years.

Its almost EXACTLY like the anti salmon farming computer models got it totally wrong. Not only does there appear to be no causal link, there appears to be no correlation, or at least only a positive correlation (ie the best runs ever in the Broughton keep occurring post salmon farming's biggest increases in production).

love it:D The facts support the bleeding obvious: the best way to save "wild" salmon is to farm them instead of hunting them to extinction for fun and profit-and destroying their spawning grounds.

quote:Originally posted by handee

Now how come the Skeena (nowhere near salmon farms) AND the Fraser (pretty far away) had such dismal returns? and how come all the rivers near salmon farms were, once again, bursting with adult fish despite being in the centre of the salmon farm industry.
Handee, I know you like to poke and prod and hope that people take you seriously enough to respond...

BUT - do yourself a favour - look at the facts before you start spouting what I would term COMPLETE BS.

Case in-point - the rivers that you blindly state that "had such dismal returns" actually had some of the best pink returns in years - this year.

quote:Originally posted by agentaqua

quote:Originally posted by handee

Handee, I know you like to poke and prod and hope that people take you seriously enough to respond...

BUT - do yourself a favour - look at the facts before you start spouting what I would term COMPLETE BS.

Case in-point - the rivers that you blindly state that "had such dismal returns" actually had some of the best pink returns in years - this year.

Agent, im not only looking at the facts im stating them clearly and concisely.The skeena had good pink</u> returns this year (terrible sockeye) AND it had dismal pink returns the years that the Broughton had dismal returns and it was pinned on the salmon farms. Like I said NO correlation lets alone causation. One would think, just a crazy idea, that for the theory to hold any water the Skeena would have excellent pink returns while the Broughton rivers had poor returns. I mean that would really help alot if the area with salmon farms actually had poor returns while ffarm free areas had fantastic returns. Now that wouldnt completely explain why after 15 years of salmon farming the pink returns on average just got better and better until the all-time high was reached in 2000, but it would go a long way.

You, agent, were one of the dudes a few years ago who linked the low pink returns in the Broughton to salmon farms. You, like Moron et al, ignored the FACT that pink returns were poor everywhere those same years- right up to the Bering Sea. You also ignored the greatest pink run ever that occurred the year BEFORE, and likely caused, through spawning ground disruption, the so-called collapse.

Come on, admit it you feel like an idiot. Great pink returns in 2000, 2005 and 2009. That has gotta hurt your "extinction its a sure thing yup yup" hypothesis. [B)] Remember when moroon promised to retire if the fish came back in 2005- she told that to Northern Aquaculture in early 2005. Well I guess Mommy and the Alaskans wouldnt let her give up so easy. "Dont let the facts hold you back dear..its unAmerican! now get back out there and keep give 'em hell"

You know who you remind me of?: George Bush. he just kept using "911" and "Iraq" over and over again in the same sentence until enough morons saw a link and not only ignored the facts but were offended if they were brought up.[:eek:)]

Can you please explain to me how we can have a great pink year in the Broughton, fish farm central, yet enough sea lice from fish farms to wipe out a million sockeye in the Fraser 300km away, but not harm the sockeye in Loughborough Inlet (next door to fish farm central)? its ok, you can use a Krkosek computer model if you need to, just be up front with your (ludicrous) assumptions.

What is your point handee?

IMG_1445.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Gunsmith

What is your point handee?

IMG_1445.jpg

never mind gunsmith, never mind. go back to sleep now[|)]

iraq911iraq911Fraserriversockeyesalmonfarmsfraserriversockeyesalmonfarmsfrserriversockeyesalmonfarms

Back