fish 4 meat or do a little catch and release

• Thread starter Thread starter scottyboy
  • Start date Start date
Walleyes what your doing is fine its the people that are shipping every thing to the processers were talking about I absolutlly have no problem with user groups such as yourself coming here to take fish home you personally help our province and our economy and I thank you for it please relax!!!!!!!!!!

Some people such as SOME americans and SOME canadians use this loophole to there advantage like maddog has mentioned and myself 120 fish MIN. is what there shipping out!!! good god dont you think that is a little much I bring home about 10 springs per year for myself and my family and friends that cant get out with me much now and that is more than enough to satisfy my parents and friends!!!!

As for the lodge where I work if we have the guests limit we let them catch fish for the guides but most of the time we release them last year I even released a fish close to 40 lbs because we were limited out pretty cool to be able to do something like that.

These people that are coming to our lodge are spending close to 4 grand to fish and to keep 4 springs and 4 others only so 8 fish for $4000 works out to 500 bucks a fish they come up here because they enjoy it and for the sport of FISHING and thats one thing you have to ALL remember fishing is for FUN just remember that!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK WOLF

We have some of the same problems down here in Washington and less fish to start with. The recreational fishery brings in tons of money to the local economy, much more than the commercial fishery or tribal fishery ever does. However, the recreational guy is always the one that seems to get the short end of the stick first. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how it feels. I have a hard time understanding why our fisheries management here can't figure out what a gold mine recreational fishing is. Build the fish stocks and people fish, buy boats and tackle ..... and spend money. Instead year after year Fish and Game project a certain run size, then allot the tribal catch percentage, and then allot the commercial percentage and then determine our "rec" limit and season. Then, down the road they find that the run was much lower than predicted and now it's been over fished badly. Year after year of this takes it's toll on the fishery. Not to mention the rampant development around here with no regard for the streams and rivers. I hope my grand kids don’t have to look in a book some day to see what a salmon looked like.

I see way too many people (including some here) doing the 'its my right' thing. Sounds a little like another user group doesn't it?. Well, used to be our right to take 4 springs per day.or 4 coho. and 6 crab. and 8 rock fish etc. A lot of people seem to justify it by the amount of $$$ it costs them. Any one ever just go for a boat ride?
I have spent many hours on rivers such as Cowichan, Nitinat, chehailis, vedder caught fish all day and had a blast. But most time never brought fish home. A fish for the table is a bonus. Nobody has a 'right'. You can't justify the cost of a fishing trip or vacation by the amount of salmon in your deep freeze or the amount of fish sent home in cans. I don't understand why people still think thats the way to do it. Remember the days when the motorhomes were parked at Sunny shores. the men were out fishing and the women were at camp, canning. Day after day . Sure there is the economy thing but the fish are not for sale. Its supposed to be a sport. Its not called a harvest.
I understand all about how the sport fisherman only takes a small % of the total catch but thats not what this is about. Its about waste.
Its about catching so much that you would never use it. and letting it go bad in the deep freeze. I know also that there are a lot of worse things happening to our fish but does it become o.k. because we are the lesser of the evils. Some sports fishers consider themselves the true keepers of the sea. If this is true then why not set an example for others. show how concerned we really are. Instead of saying Its my right.
Who ever is to blame, there is a problem out there. and in the end , who do you think will lose out.
Set an example for others and for the kids.
I'm going now. I get really pissed about this crap!

Yes, I said it was my right to catch fish for my own consumption. And along with rights come responsibilities: you shouldn't catch more than you need, and you shouldn't waste what you catch. For the record, I don't think I've ever caught more than 10 springs in a season, and I eat everything I catch (and I don't can fish).

Yes, it is my right legally to cath fish that I will consume myself. You think salmon stocks are being destroyed by folks who catch fish for their own consumption? You think it's better that I buy a commercially caught fish at Safeway instead of legally catching one for myself? Scotty, you want me tell you what you sound like? Read what you wrote: You can't even spell, write?

Knuckles, you're correct about the joys of fishing: a day on the water is always great. If it were otherwise, there wouldn't be much point in fishing around Vancouver as often as I do. :D

It really is everyone's right in this provicne to go have fun and catch fish for one's personal consumpiton. And it's everyone's responsiblity to conserve the resource. But the way things are going, the ordinary sport fisherman who goes fishing in his own boat is becoming a thing of the past. So before it's too late for the ordinary sport fisherman and before all the salmon are gone, the responsible thing to do might be to learn more about and talk more about "how many salmon are being caught by whom and for what purpose" as I said early. If more people got involved in recreational fishing and more people became personally involved in the greater issues of conservation, I think much more could be done. We could do more than just save a few salmon from freezer burn ...but saving salmon from being wasted is still a good thing. Ok?

If none of this is what you wanted to talk about here, sorry I brought it up.

no tips up I don't poach... I fish with my three sons when we come out... its what we do for our summer vacation.
I don't meen to sound defensive but I'm sure there is probably more poaching done by locals than us out of province fisherman.... We are going through alot of the same issues over here with our fish stocks.The goverment for the most part discurages comercial fishing,,the economic value just is not there..But what do we do???? we don't support (well I for one) fish farming.. so how do people get there fish in safeway?? if we don't have comercial fishing. I strongly believe education on what poaching or even over use does to fish stocks can be a usefull tool,, and like said earlier more DFO's (federaly paid) to monitor out on water. i have not been checked out on the water in the last 3 years not that it would of mattered but in some cases it probably would.

What he said go fishing and enjoy!!!!

Good luck Wolf

well red if my spelling is that upsetting 2 you !!! thats 2 bad i`m really sorry man . [B)] the safeway thingy was a referance 2 guys or girls just giving away fish , read it all man , know one is picking on you , and you don`t hafto justify yourself on here , do you ??? most people react strongly if guilty !!!!really tight lines scotty

everything needs a place 2 start i.e awareness of whats really going on , the catching for own consumtion is a very small part of it , but catching more then you need is another , all i wanted 2 do was open up what people thought and maybe bring awarness 2 things like loop holes ect , maybe get people bitching and standing up 4 what they believe is right not just grubbling about it under there breath , speak out , let people know how you feel , gotta start somewhere . netting fleet is run by bigg money and basically think they can do what they want i.e"jimmy pattison" and the other group not so rich , but have a what they think "great history " have the rights 2 do what they want , and even if they do more then allowed just get a slap on the wrist, sporty the group that brings the most money ,volunteers and the raising of money for salmon enhancement gets the s....y end of the stick . yes i agree but we have a responsabily as canadians and tax payers 2 try and fix this unjust . tight lines scotty , hey red sorry man

Walley
I apologise. That is not how your post read. It sounded like you were proud to be taking home more than your limit.

I think that we all agree on a few things:

We all as responsible fisherman are conscious of our limits and taking the appropriate amount of fish for our personal consumption.

The impact that we have on the fish stocks is minimal in comparison to some of the other comercial and tribal issues already stated.

There is a "loop hole" out there being supported by our local cannery and possibly some lodges that should be addressed.

I too give away a few fillets to immediate family and give away smoked salmon to friends around x-mas. It is like my trademark and people look forward to it.
I like my fish fresh and I am lucky enough to live in Victoria where I can catch fish at almost any time of year. Fish never goes bad in my freezer and I seldom have more than a couple of fish worth of fillets at any given time.

Lets get out there, catch lots of fish and be responsible. Don't let it rot in the freezer, sell it or abuse what we have in any other manner.

That's all I've got to say about that.

Tips

hey cheers to all you guys... it shows we all care deeply about the same issue.. and we should.. but I geuss we shouldn't vent at each other and I apoligize for comeing accross strong.. but we also can't just let it ride.. maybe we should call our selfs a special intrest group (the middle aged male society for the preservasion of pacific salmon ) get a million dollar grant from the govertment turn around and sue the govertment for the distruction of salmon stocks..:D isn't that the way its done..
O.h and never apoligise for the way you spell as you can see I suffer from the same problem..

quote:Originally posted by walleyes

hey cheers to all you guys... it shows we all care deeply about the same issue.. and we should.. but I geuss we shouldn't vent at each other and I apoligize for comeing accross strong.. but we also can't just let it ride.. maybe we should call our selfs a special intrest group (the middle aged male society for the preservasion of pacific salmon ) get a million dollar grant from the govertment turn around and sue the govertment for the distruction of salmon stocks..:D isn't that the way its done..
O.h and never apoligise for the way you spell as you can see I suffer from the same problem..
:(Who you callin middle age?!! You tryin to start somethin?!! j/k:D

Tips, I would wholeheartedly agree with your list and your sentiments. The other thing I would add is that as a group we sports fishermen need to assert our fundamental rights. Walleyes, you can help by forming the Grey-Haired (But Still Manly) Fishing Brigade, a great idea in light of Harper’s announcement about a judicial inquiry into racially based commercial salmon fishing. Here’s our big chance, guys! As Dennis Brown wrote in the Sun yesterday, “…the courts have repeatedly stated that constitutionally protected aboriginal rights must be carefully balanced and recognized with the rights of all Canadians. Something which DFO has failed to do.” In other words, the natives have rights but so do we. Don’t be afraid to claim them! And when we do, I think we strength our voice in matters of conservation, IMHO. [:I]

And what Wolf was saying about tourists coming here for sport fishing is true. Did you see the piece in the Sun today (page D3)? There’s over a half-billion dollars of economic activity associated with sport fishing. But the story also tells about how on so many days of the season the DFO lets commercial guys on the Central Coast scope the salmon that poor schmucks from around the world paid big bucks to come catch. Hey, does that ring a bell around here? Don’t get me wrong: commercial guys need to live too, and there’s nothing wrong with buying a fish at Safeway (not everyone can or wants to go fishing), but I question the balance sometimes.

In any event, a big double WAP WAP for me for being so opinionated. Sorry guys.

I mean it guy's let's get something going.. let's make a stand... It's time we let the poeple in charge know... LET'S HER DONE.........

Yes their is greed among some people,I hate to profile but the asians in our area take everything.too small wrong species.some whites do it also. and my favorite the cerimonial catch.Isn't that one a crock.You can find their cerimonial salmon at the local fish market.It's expensive to fish canada.112 for lisence,motor home and boat for ferry ride about 200,about the same in fuel to get to port hardy and back boat launch,campspot.it's worth every penny.For me it's not the money or the fish,Its the folks you meet om the way.My limit is 4 springs.Sometimes i get it sometimes i don't.Sometimes i dont even fish.personally i like to tent it, but my wife is not well. so i need flat water.west coast is out bamfield etc.for that price why poach, you can bye them cheaper.

Very true Runt. I love going to VI the people are great and the fishing has been very good for the 20 years I have been going there. I like the four Springer limit. How many can you eat? You are also right about the Asian people it is not in the culture to have limits they catch, keep, and eat anything. I remember I was in SF a few years ago and there where some new people from Vietnam and they saw the ducks at the park and slaughtered 10 of the before the police told them it was not legal.

Back