ECVI French creek-Nanoose-nanaimo reports

Went out last night by myself in the wind fished one rod for the first few hours had a nice 20 something at the boat and got it tangled in my downrigger cable it got off. Since I only had one line down you'd think I would have brought him to the side that didn't have the downrigger down but being the smart guy I am I didn't, I missed the first two or three netting attempts my net isn't that big and it's alot harder netting a 20lb fish solo than a 10-15lb. I'm also kicking myself for not throwing it in neutral when I had the fish at the surface, that's the first one I've lost this year, and it gave me a pretty good scrap had it on for a good 5mins.
Had it out at Neck point that's not where I wanted to fish it was too rough to go anywhere.

Not tryin to be a $*^& disturber but necks closed im pretty sure. The closure started aug 1st. I hear ya on the small net big fish when solo i have had that problem. Save yourself some grief and go pick up a big net. I picked up the largest i could find and it makes a world of difference landing fish. I was up north island fishin pinks. (slow) but will be out tommorow.

I think the closed area runs from neck point park to the outer finger so the neck point reef is open from what I could tell from that map pretty much the line closes pipers, shack island, the lighthouse, inner fingers,can buoy, and alot of other good spots, So I was fishing north of the closure.

Thanks backatit I'll take arun down soon and check it out. Thanks for fiver Kelly, you could've tied me up a hootchie. Check and see if you lost your keys, I found a set on the dock beside my boat. there are Nissan keys and a gate key on a red cord. Let me know.

Thanks alot!!!! i put them down to go on your boat completely forgot didnt even notice as i didnt have to drive home. Are you in nanoose or gonna be around at the marina any time soon. I tried to fish tonight it was ugggggggly. No fishing but maybe tommorow or friday. If you hitup the Qs give a report id be interested in how it is

I thought they might be yours, I hid them behind the fish board. They are hanging on a screw so be careful they don't fall.

Hey BigRedSnapper
This has been killing me for a while, what's your magic spoon? I'll divulge a couple of my lesser known hot spoons so hopefully we can swap some info, Besides the usuals cop car, green glo, wonderbread, I've had most of my luck this year with the Kermit and night rider. So if you still don't want to spill the beans on this forum I'll give you my email address, lmk
Also how did you make out up in Quatsino? I don't think I ever saw a report I'm going up there in about 10 days
Thanks

Had a blast and caught lots of fish. We limited on everything. I got 3 30# springs and some nice coho. The hali were everywhere but our biggest was only 28#. By the way the hot spoon was a 4'' coyote "purple fog". There might be some left at Gone Fishin in Nanaimo.I used a purple flasher and 6' leader. Hey kelly I checked this morning and your keys are still there. Did you get that message?

yea ill pick them up today. I heard of some fish being caught. guide ventured back over to the other side(sangster). Apparently got 8 fish so i guess another wave is back. thanks for grabbin the keys

I guess it's about time to go back to Sangster, it's been good to me this year and we have family from Alberta til the weekend. I always have a laugh watching their face when you hand them the rod and the salmon takes off. Priceless....

No kidding i took some people new to fishing out last week and got them into fish and i am taking some friends from alberta out in the morning tommorow. good tide. They booked a charter for port saturday against me telling them its to ealry. OH well hopefully we run to the sound im tagging along to pick some knowledge off of him! Give a report if you get out

Thanks BRS that's one of the new ones with the UV I think, I've got one never sent it down I thought it looked good I'll take it out of the TB and giver a chance. I've been wondering since you first started talking about it, Thanks

Hey greg any action today i ran in just behind you but you were already leavin? we only had our rods in for an hour i had one hit at 150ft purple haze. I was the only boat fishing the backside? i hit lots there on the weekend. Was there fish on the inside? Ill be out tommorow and fishing 8-12 for that 10am bite.

Checked the marine weather this morning...5 knots at Ballenas...nice...decided to run up to Little Q to check it out. My dog and I got our asses handed to us from French Creek to Qualicum from an honest 3-4' chop and probably 25 knot winds ripping between Hornby and Texada. Finally arrived, marked a few fish, released an undersize spring, noticed a friendly seal following not more than 30' off my stern. Gave up and went to work.
I think I'll give it a couple weeks more before trying again. Should be a good year at both Qualicums judging from the release numbers from both hatcheries 4, 5, and 6 years ago.

Backatit i know what you mean i took a beating. Blowing way harder than forcasted but it died down alot around noon. Thats why im gonna sleep in.

Hey Kelly I ran down to Gerald for the am. bite with the dog. There was way too much crap on the water and I spent most of my time clearing lines. There were 3 or 4 other boats fishin and I did'nt see any nets come out. Went out in the afternoon with my neice ended up in the Lasqueti Pub. zero fish caught however there were a few pints landed. Prawning is really good right now.

yea i was fishing the backside yesterday when you were out. Less junk in the water and i have been getting alot of fish. I went out again this afternoon for about an hour i slept in. One hit again at 150ft purple haze. Havent heard of any fish being caught lately. Did you hit up sangster on your way over?

Yes we trolled right from the north end of Sangster to seal rock but the wind was blowing and the tide was rippin. No hits, no bait. Sure beats workin though!!!!

Back