Driving an EV pickup

Saw one of the coldstar electric trucks on friday night, pretty good savings of over $100 day in diesel. I bet battery prices have been cut in half but prices of commercial electric trucks will still have to come down. https://www.trucknews.com/equipment...to-roll-out-cool-electric-project/1003166840/
$475K is a lot of money for a 5 ton, no question. But to be fair, this was a one-off build requiring coordination between 3 suppliers. Prototypes of any product always appear expensive unless you do some sleight of hand by amortizing the development costs into a subsequent production run. Nonetheless, 250K extra cost is a steep hill to climb.

Hopefully Coldstar did receive some or all of the incentives mentioned in the article. But if not, would they get their money back in fuel and maintenance savings, or is this fleet owner a well meaning but greenwashed woke hippie with more dollars than sense? Haha, you guys know I'm just itching to do the math...

Daily running costs (diesel): $136
Daily running costs (electric): $4.50
Daily savings: $131.50
Annual savings: $131.50 × 250 = $32,875
Payback time: $250,000 ÷ $32,875 = 7.6 years

Maintenance on diesel:
Oil and filter change, 2/year
Fuel filter change, 2/year
CCV filter change, 1/year
Transmission flush, every 2 years
Cooling system flush, every 2 years
Brake pad replacement?
Brake system flush?

Costs on the above will vary, larger fleet operators can save money by buying parts and consumables in bulk and moving maintenance to in house basis. Add in whatever is spent maintaining the reefer power unit, plus the accumulated cost of time off the road to do these maintenance items, and it's not hard to see $1000/year in maintenance. At the end of the same 7-8 year period, the electric truck would be coming up on its first battery cooling system flush. Everything else would be normal truck stuff like tires, suspension, chassis lube, etc.

Even without any rebates or other incentives, the electric truck comes out in front over a ten year ownership period, by about $75,000. That's on raw running costs basis, cost of financing would eat most of it. Still, it seems like a break even proposition at least, with less downtime and better reliability as a bonus. Throw in the zero emissions and noise, and you've got a winner.

$475K is a lot of money for a 5 ton, no question. But to be fair, this was a one-off build requiring coordination between 3 suppliers. Prototypes of any product always appear expensive unless you do some sleight of hand by amortizing the development costs into a subsequent production run. Nonetheless, 250K extra cost is a steep hill to climb.

Hopefully Coldstar did receive some or all of the incentives mentioned in the article. But if not, would they get their money back in fuel and maintenance savings, or is this fleet owner a well meaning but greenwashed woke hippie with more dollars than sense? Haha, you guys know I'm just itching to do the math...

Daily running costs (diesel): $136
Daily running costs (electric): $4.50
Daily savings: $131.50
Annual savings: $131.50 × 250 = $32,875
Payback time: $250,000 ÷ $32,875 = 7.6 years

Maintenance on diesel:
Oil and filter change, 2/year
Fuel filter change, 2/year
CCV filter change, 1/year
Transmission flush, every 2 years
Cooling system flush, every 2 years
Brake pad replacement?
Brake system flush?

Costs on the above will vary, larger fleet operators can save money by buying parts and consumables in bulk and moving maintenance to in house basis. Add in whatever is spent maintaining the reefer power unit, plus the accumulated cost of time off the road to do these maintenance items, and it's not hard to see $1000/year in maintenance. At the end of the same 7-8 year period, the electric truck would be coming up on its first battery cooling system flush. Everything else would be normal truck stuff like tires, suspension, chassis lube, etc.

Even without any rebates or other incentives, the electric truck comes out in front over a ten year ownership period, by about $75,000. That's on raw running costs basis, cost of financing would eat most of it. Still, it seems like a break even proposition at least, with less downtime and better reliability as a bonus. Throw in the zero emissions and noise, and you've got a winner.
Like you said "250K extra cost is a steep hill to climb" but we should also put the cost of Money into the equation. Even if they got to finance it a a low rate, and got to deduct the interest, depreciation expense, etc. => Money isn't "free".

I'd still like as many commercial vehicles to move to EVs as practical. I bet there's thousands of them in Metro Vancouver that could be in place economically the next time they are up for replacement.

Like you said "250K extra cost is a steep hill to climb" but we should also put the cost of Money into the equation. Even if they got to finance it a a low rate, and got to deduct the interest, depreciation expense, etc. => Money isn't "free".

I'd still like as many commercial vehicles to move to EVs as practical. I bet there's thousands of them in Metro Vancouver that could be in place economically the next time they are up for replacement.
I did mention that most of the theoretical 75K fuel savings would be needed to pay the interest of $250K of additional purchase price. Quick use of online loan calculator says 250K over 7 years at 8% is an interest cost $72K.

Like you say, wouldn't it be good to see all those noisy, smoky diesel delivery vans replaced over time? Even at steep first model pricing and without subsidies or rebates, they don't cost any more than a new diesel. The equation will only get better as they shift from early adopter phase to mainstream to competitive commodity. And diesel is at its worst possible application as a delivery truck: majority low speed, stop-and-go city traffic, grinding up to freeway speed only to leave again 3 exits later, etc. All these same conditions are where EV is at its best.

I suggest the same thing to my contractor colleagues: think about electrifying your work trucks as they come up for replacement. Right now, today, they'll save you money, and the numbers are only going to get better as volumes increase and component prices come down. 2027-28 is when EVs will become generally cheaper than ICE equivalent, and there'll be a complete market flip.

Vehicles these days and all that effin software. Looking at my energy use for the past month in the Ford app, and noticed an odd charging session at an address that's not a public charger and not my home. Looked it up, it's the street beside my son's house. I might have been there that day maybe an hour, they have no EV plug in and I certainly wasn't there until 1 am. It's a home charging session all right, and the home charger app tags it as such. But Fordpass has misidentified the location. Looked back a couple months and it's happened a few other times, random odd local addresses apparently supply me with power.

Ford:

Screenshot_20240531_213500_FordPass.jpg

Chargepoint (home charger):
Screenshot_20240531_213516_ChargePoint.jpg

Month of May included a return trip to the Sunshine Coast and back. Charging was easy, two stops in Hope of 40 minutes each, plus a free all day session on an AC charger in Sechelt while I flew to meetings in Vancouver. Public charging cost $66, the refill after arriving home was $10. All up cost of $76 for 961 km driven, $0.08/km. This is double the average cost per km, reflecting the higher energy pricing at public chargers and the higher energy use at highway speeds. Charging at home is akin to cooking at home, both are generally cheaper than going out.

In other news, we've just cracked $800 in total energy costs at the 10 months of ownership mark.

Screenshot (47).png

Vehicles these days and all that effin software. Looking at my energy use for the past month in the Ford app, and noticed an odd charging session at an address that's not a public charger and not my home. Looked it up, it's the street beside my son's house. I might have been there that day maybe an hour, they have no EV plug in and I certainly wasn't there until 1 am. It's a home charging session all right, and the home charger app tags it as such. But Fordpass has misidentified the location. Looked back a couple months and it's happened a few other times, random odd local addresses apparently supply me with power.

Ford:

View attachment 106692

Chargepoint (home charger):
View attachment 106691

Bullar

Winning run gopro footage with interview. The truck shuts itself down a few seconds out from the start and just sits there in the middle of the road. Dumas stays calm, reboots it and is goooone.

Last edited:
I have restrained myself from driving a Lightning.I have sat in one, or two, and know it is sooo.... comfortable
The problem is that I know I would like it and I would likely buy one in Prince George, drive it home and spend the rest of my retirement years looking for suitable parking spots in Vancouver.

I had a chance to drive the new BMW 5 series electric sedan a few weeks ago. I had been in an electric Mercedes as a passenger prior to that and the Mercedes was being kind, exceptionally underwhelming.

The BMW was spooky quiet, and fast. I have driven every Tesla but the X in the last few months and the new 5 series electric is light years ahead in features/build quality,

BMW came out with the I3 in 2013 and the I8 a year later. We also had a chance to drive a used 2022 530e PHEV and it was just ok when compared to the new 5 series all electric

If I was in a postion to buy a BMW 5 series I would still buy the basic 4 cylinder gas/partial hybrid because the premium for the 2025 PHEV or the more expensive all electric 5 series is just too much .

At my age 69.33 years besting the crossover point where the electric vehicle's cumulative operating costs pull ahead of a gas vehicle and make economic sense could very well be kong after I pass though this veil of tears.

Tesla is like the early Fords (any colour as long as it is black) and affordable with government subsidies

There is no doubt will soon have a lot more competition to contend with now that the majors are starting to produce electric cars. Ford seems to have the pickup mastered,. Some of my wife's friends have the Mach E and their ownership experiences vary.

If Tesla decides to split the company into car assembly/sales and Supercharging stations. I would buy shares in the electric charging company, Tesla Supercharging Stations could very easily become the next Exxon/Mobile/Shell Oil of the electric vehicle world.

BMW Electric History interesting reading

Winning run gopro footage with interview. The truck shuts itself down a few seconds out from the start and just sits there in the middle of the road. Dumas stays calm, reboots it and is goooone.

That was impressive and the boy can drive. Was wondering about wildlife on that road and then a squirrel made a dart across the road.

Got our first 1500 pick ups in yesterday....haven't had a chance to look at them too much....not a bad look?
You mean the Silverado EV? They remind a lot of people of the old Avalanche truck/SUV crossover, which seems to be polarizing. Some people really don't like that concept, but it did sell, what? half a million or more? I'd be leery of it as a work truck, maybe an up close and some good feedback from other contractor owners would change my mind.

so amazing. just make an 8' bed please!
Yes, even a 6'6 bed would be better than this short little thing. The frunk does provide a lot of extra space, but there's times when length really counts! Took me while to settle on how to use the frunk, it's more or less permanent storage for my core set of cordless tools and hand tools.

20240601_163955.jpg

The box is kept empty until needed for materials or bulkier tools like mitre saw, table saw etc. Longer stuff goes on the headache rack, big orders are delivered anyway. All works but a longer box would better. Wait for T3 for that one.

A Report after two weeks of owning a Ford Lightning, extended range with trailer tow package. Stated range is accurate for non-towing trips, so happy with that. Have towed a 6000lb boat, 6000lb RV, and 20' flat-deck. Tows really well for a "half ton" truck. Not alot of squat. Very good power. Of course, the range is the big gotcha...range drops in half when I pull the RV and about 60% when I pull the boat. But I knew that going in to this, so am not planning long trips. Anything on Van Isle is well within reach, which is where we live. My main towing tasks are the boat (short hauls to/from the local launch) and farm stuff on the flat deck. The truck confidently pulls the boat out of a wet, steep launch, even better than my previous truck (Titan). I assume that's due to incredible torque, no transmission, and a bit more weight.

Charging at home is very cheap. Between $12 and $16, depending on the time of day.
Charging at DC fast chargers is about 4x more expensive...which is still cheap compared to gas, but much more than makes sense. I look forward to the days of competitive charging rates.
50A level two charger at home is a bit tedious to charge, if the truck is drained. Planning to install a 100A charger to speed things up.

I've ordered the adapter which allows charging at Tesla superchargers, which are way more reliable than pretty much every other charge network out there. One catch there is that most superchargers don't make it easy to pull through with a truck and trailer...so I expect to have to disconnect sometimes. Not ideal.

The pro power is a really nice feature, with almost 10kW of output, including a 220V circuit at 7200W. Have used it to run irrigation pumps and farm project which used to require lugging over a heavy generator. Considering the 130kWh battery capacity, I can run pumps and tools all day without worrying about battery depletion. The startup rush current of my larger irrigation pump flips the truck circuit breaker at 2400W. Will probably rewire that pump to 220V and then there would be no issues.

EV tires are efficient, but I can see that they won't do great in mud/snow. Somehow they did get M+S rating, so the cops won't hassle me on the Malahat. The truck has very low ground clearance relative to competition and regular F150's, so off-road use where ground clearance is needed is more or less out of the question.

Ford software is not great. Hopefully they invest in some good coders and catch up to competition, like Tesla. Tesla offers better trip planning and energy use prediction, and arguably a better user interface (if you can tolerate everything going through a big screen).

Not a fan of nearly all controls going through a big screen. Way too many screen taps to do basic stuff like change radio stations, or change the heat/AC settings.

The bluecruise system is nowhere close to Tesla's autopilot, but I don't mind because I don't trust either and won't pay to subscribe. It is useful for basic lane centering and adaptive cruise. Even when bluecruise is not on, the truck 'watches' the driver's eyes and squawks if you are looking away too much. I have no idea how it works when sunglasses are being worn.

The truck is obscenely fast accelerating from any speed. About the same acceleration as a dual motor extended range Tesla car, which is nuts. I wish it had a chill mode for teenage drivers.

Its also quite the conversation starter, especially when pulling my Silver Streak. :)

Great report! Put up some pics and keep the comments coming!

A Report after two weeks of owning a Ford Lightning, extended range with trailer tow package. Stated range is accurate for non-towing trips, so happy with that. Have towed a 6000lb boat, 6000lb RV, and 20' flat-deck. Tows really well for a "half ton" truck. Not alot of squat. Very good power. Of course, the range is the big gotcha...range drops in half when I pull the RV and about 60% when I pull the boat. But I knew that going in to this, so am not planning long trips. Anything on Van Isle is well within reach, which is where we live. My main towing tasks are the boat (short hauls to/from the local launch) and farm stuff on the flat deck. The truck confidently pulls the boat out of a wet, steep launch, even better than my previous truck (Titan). I assume that's due to incredible torque, no transmission, and a bit more weight.

Charging at home is very cheap. Between $12 and $16, depending on the time of day.
Charging at DC fast chargers is about 4x more expensive...which is still cheap compared to gas, but much more than makes sense. I look forward to the days of competitive charging rates.
50A level two charger at home is a bit tedious to charge, if the truck is drained. Planning to install a 100A charger to speed things up.

I've ordered the adapter which allows charging at Tesla superchargers, which are way more reliable than pretty much every other charge network out there. One catch there is that most superchargers don't make it easy to pull through with a truck and trailer...so I expect to have to disconnect sometimes. Not ideal.

The pro power is a really nice feature, with almost 10kW of output, including a 220V circuit at 7200W. Have used it to run irrigation pumps and farm project which used to require lugging over a heavy generator. Considering the 130kWh battery capacity, I can run pumps and tools all day without worrying about battery depletion. The startup rush current of my larger irrigation pump flips the truck circuit breaker at 2400W. Will probably rewire that pump to 220V and then there would be no issues.

EV tires are efficient, but I can see that they won't do great in mud/snow. Somehow they did get M+S rating, so the cops won't hassle me on the Malahat. The truck has very low ground clearance relative to competition and regular F150's, so off-road use where ground clearance is needed is more or less out of the question.

Ford software is not great. Hopefully they invest in some good coders and catch up to competition, like Tesla. Tesla offers better trip planning and energy use prediction, and arguably a better user interface (if you can tolerate everything going through a big screen).

Not a fan of nearly all controls going through a big screen. Way too many screen taps to do basic stuff like change radio stations, or change the heat/AC settings.

The bluecruise system is nowhere close to Tesla's autopilot, but I don't mind because I don't trust either and won't pay to subscribe. It is useful for basic lane centering and adaptive cruise. Even when bluecruise is not on, the truck 'watches' the driver's eyes and squawks if you are looking away too much. I have no idea how it works when sunglasses are being worn.

The truck is obscenely fast accelerating from any speed. About the same acceleration as a dual motor extended range Tesla car, which is nuts. I wish it had a chill mode for teenage drivers.

Its also quite the conversation starter, especially when pulling my Silver Streak. :)
Have you weighed the boat or RV on a scale? Are you mid island? I filmed a short video of the new Tesla chargers when towing a Grady white behind a new chev 35000 through port alberni. Nice big empty parking lot to drop the trailer and charge. No real restaurants there that I could see but grocery shopping, Starbucks and a fast casual restaurant, so wouldn’t be a bad stop.

With the hydro subsidy for solar and now battery I wonder if between a truck/heat pump will result in a quicker roi? It would take a lot of $12-$16 fill ups to make up the costs I guess. Are you into the higher tier with that cost?
Yes, even a 6'6 bed would be better than this short little thing. The frunk does provide a lot of extra space, but there's times when length really counts! Took me while to settle on how to use the frunk, it's more or less permanent storage for my core set of cordless tools and hand tools.

View attachment 107771

The box is kept empty until needed for materials or bulkier tools like mitre saw, table saw etc. Longer stuff goes on the headache rack, big orders are delivered anyway. All works but a longer box would better. Wait for T3 for that one.
lots of space for a telescoping fishing rod as well. With lots of power to use an electric pump an inflatable kayak or skiff would fit in nice rolled up or hanging out the back. Considering my friend got a halibut off his kayak in his crab trap last week and was smashing halibut on the fly rod, some pretty nice options for fishing missions out of a lightening.

Nice to have a safe space for tools that you can grab easily, out of the eyes of the smash and grab types. Any noticeable range difference with a full frunk?

Back