Driving an EV pickup

Have you weighed the boat or RV on a scale? Are you mid island? I filmed a short video of the new Tesla chargers when towing a Grady white behind a new chev 35000 through port alberni. Nice big empty parking lot to drop the trailer and charge. No real restaurants there that I could see but grocery shopping, Starbucks and a fast casual restaurant, so wouldn’t be a bad stop.

I didn't weight them. I roughly know the weight from the specs.
I am mid island...Denman.
Good to know there is a good charging spot in Port Alberni. Am planning to trailer over there sometime and explore the other side of the island by boat.

With the hydro subsidy for solar and now battery I wonder if between a truck/heat pump will result in a quicker roi? It would take a lot of $12-$16 fill ups to make up the costs I guess. Are you into the higher tier with that cost?

I've done solar before, not in BC. 10 years ago, the payoff was going to take 15 years. To be honest, we didn't do the solar for the $, it was to try to minimize our use of non green sources. Since most of BC power is hydro, I don't quite get why we'd install solar at home? I guess it would help the grid out in the long term. But with our grey winters, does it make sense?

I usually charge at night so I think i'm usually using 9 cents/kWh. Plus distribution costs I guess.

lots of space for a telescoping fishing rod as well. With lots of power to use an electric pump an inflatable kayak or skiff would fit in nice rolled up or hanging out the back. Considering my friend got a halibut off his kayak in his crab trap last week and was smashing halibut on the fly rod, some pretty nice options for fishing missions out of a lightening.

Ran into a guy on the water last weekend who was fishing from an electrified kayak. Really neat setup. Gobs of battery power available on the truck to charge a small electric kayak/boat setup on a multiday outing.

Nice to have a safe space for tools that you can grab easily, out of the eyes of the smash and grab types. Any noticeable range difference with a full frunk?

I haven't measured range impact of a load, frunk or otherwise. I would say you can feel the difference when the frunk has weight. I was intending to leave my tools in there all the time, but the weight made me think twice. Plus, I was wondering what the impact on safety during a collision would be. Having a bunch of heavy tools sloshing around in front of the passenger compartment gives me pause. Maybe having them fly out of the box isn't any better.

Recent Kootenays road trip numbers in the beastie:

1675 km of mountain roads (12 passes, 4 ski resorts)
368 kWh consumed
$133 charging costs including top up at home
22 kWh/100 km average efficiency
7.9 cents per km

Despite quite warm conditions (mid to high 30s C), using DCFC is no problem, provided the battery has been preconditioned. Ford's algorithms in this area appear to be very effective; using the Ford navigation to select the charger ahead of time gave close to optimum charge rates.

I'm quite impressed with this energy economy, considering the F150 has pretty poor aerodynamics and I typically cruise at 5-10 km/h above the posted speed limit. I didn't do any pre-departure battery preconditioning.

Recent Kootenays road trip numbers in the beastie:

1675 km of mountain roads (12 passes, 4 ski resorts)
368 kWh consumed
$133 charging costs including top up at home
22 kWh/100 km average efficiency
7.9 cents per km

Despite quite warm conditions (mid to high 30s C), using DCFC is no problem, provided the battery has been preconditioned. Ford's algorithms in this area appear to be very effective; using the Ford navigation to select the charger ahead of time gave close to optimum charge rates.

I'm quite impressed with this energy economy, considering the F150 has pretty poor aerodynamics and I typically cruise at 5-10 km/h above the posted speed limit. I didn't do any pre-departure battery preconditioning.
That's really good kWh/100km, considering the mountains, speed, and temp. Translates into about 590km of range for the complete battery capacity. Do you mind sharing what chargers you used, and how they were?

Across hwy 3, main choices are Flo and On The Run. The former are mostly 50 kW, so use them for top up, not a big charge. The latter are a lot better now that they're pay instead of free. $0.45/kWh is reasonable, and they made a software change so the internal battery level is now displayed. Was so frustrating before they added this, you'd see it spool up to 120 kW then head off for food or washroom, only for it to drop into energy conservation mode (low battery) a few minutes later.

Coming home on hwy 1, I used Electrify Canada in Revy. Ran solid at the SR's full 125 kW charging capacity, until 80% when the Ford algorithm cuts it back to 45 kW. But... $0.70/kWh! Six times more than my home rate. Ouch.

I've come to understand how important it is to precondition for fast charging. Select a charger in the Ford nav so it conditions battery temp as you near the location, otherwise you may get a lot less than the speed the charger is capable of. Hot and cold weather both make a big difference here.

I used free overnight L2 charging in Panorama, and the nice folks at Lizard Creek Lodge in Fernie let me use an outdoor 120V outlet, very slow at 1 kW but I was there for 3 nights so it got the job done. Town of Golden has some 8 kW chargers for just $2.00/hr, used one of those while I got groceries and beer, had a nice pub lunch right next door. Deals to be had!

Always
Be
Charging

Across hwy 3, main choices are Flo and On The Run. The former are mostly 50 kW, so use them for top up, not a big charge. The latter are a lot better now that they're pay instead of free. $0.45/kWh is reasonable, and they made a software change so the internal battery level is now displayed. Was so frustrating before they added this, you'd see it spool up to 120 kW then head off for food or washroom, only for it to drop into energy conservation mode (low battery) a few minutes later.

Coming home on hwy 1, I used Electrify Canada in Revy. Ran solid at the SR's full 125 kW charging capacity, until 80% when the Ford algorithm cuts it back to 45 kW. But... $0.70/kWh! Six times more than my home rate. Ouch.

I've come to understand how important it is to precondition for fast charging. Select a charger in the Ford nav so it conditions battery temp as you near the location, otherwise you may get a lot less than the speed the charger is capable of. Hot and cold weather both make a big difference here.

I used free overnight L2 charging in Panorama, and the nice folks at Lizard Creek Lodge in Fernie let me use an outdoor 120V outlet, very slow at 1 kW but I was there for 3 nights so it got the job done. Town of Golden has some 8 kW chargers for just $2.00/hr, used one of those while I got groceries and beer, had a nice pub lunch right next door. Deals to be had!

Always
Be
Charging
Great info. thanks alot

One year and 23,600 km of ownership. What a blast it's been!

Things I expected:
- acceleration and torque
- short box is on the short side for a work truck
- $850-1000 per year energy costs
- easy home charging
- 350 km highway range
- energy use of 30-31 kWh/100 km
- software teething problems
- range while trailering half of normal
- that I'd have to wait to charge in busy locations at busy times
- that I'd encounter chargers that weren't working

Things I didn't expect:
- even more acceleration than expected, with zero noise and vibration. Just this addictive whoooooshhhh
- frunk is super useful, helps offset short box shortcomings
- highway usable range is more like 300 km, because fast charging slows way down at 80%
- energy use averaging at 27-28 kWh
- several software updates and new Ford app loaded, no headaches so far. And one battery module recall (actually a dealer-installed software update).
- little fatigue after long drives (background noise and vibration must have a cumulative effect)
- trailering range is 40% less than normal
- fast warmup on cold days: warm air from vents in 20 seconds
- heated seats and wheel use way less energy than cabin heat
- how finicky the various public charging apps can be: do I plug in first and then authorize, or vice versa? Well, that depends...
- that I haven't yet had to wait to charge
- that I've yet to find a charger that flat out didn't work (but did find a couple that ran super slow, and some that need very precise steps to get them to authorize and start charging)
- how important battery preconditioning is, both winter and summer. Lack of preconditioning is the probable reason for the slow DCFC rates I encountered.
- how popular Lightning would become for contractors - there's over 20 of them running around in Penticton.

This is easily the best truck I've ever owned. Suits my use pattern so well.

Things I didn't expect:
- little fatigue after long drives (background noise and vibration must have a cumulative effect)
This also surprised us. We've had a tesla model 3 since 2018, and the driver fatigue is noticably lower. Although we have autopilot, we rarely use it. I wasn't sure why it felt easier to drive. My prior ICE truck was well equipped (2020 Nissan titan), but after a multi hour drive I felt more tired than if we drove the Tesla. Now that we have a Lightning, i can say that I agree its less fatiquing to drive than the Titan. Its bluecruise equiped, but hardly any of our roads on Van Isle support that mode, so really its just got adaptive cruise and lane centering. A 3 hour drive is a cakewalk. I don't know why.

This also surprised us. We've had a tesla model 3 since 2018, and the driver fatigue is noticably lower. Although we have autopilot, we rarely use it. I wasn't sure why it felt easier to drive. My prior ICE truck was well equipped (2020 Nissan titan), but after a multi hour drive I felt more tired than if we drove the Tesla. Now that we have a Lightning, i can say that I agree its less fatiquing to drive than the Titan. Its bluecruise equiped, but hardly any of our roads on Van Isle support that mode, so really its just got adaptive cruise and lane centering. A 3 hour drive is a cakewalk. I don't know why.
Its the reduced drone noise from the engine. I don't 'necessarily' recommend this - but on long drives, try a set of Airpod Pro headphones with noise cancellation - massive reduction in driver fatigue as well.

Interesting CTV take on Canada's EV Investments:

The battery investment game is a challenge. you have to invest massively to get the scale, to drive down the costs, to help drive market adoption. And right now adoption is slowing. Do you take your foot off the gas? (intended) Also, if you are not in on the battery game early enough, you will never catch up and compete. Similar to massive semiconductor manufacturing infrastructure and technical leadership.

its a game of investment that takes courage.

All of the biggest semiconductor manufacturers on the leading edge, on planet earth, are essentially state financed one way or another. Mega battery manufacturing is trending the same way.

Its the reduced drone noise from the engine. I don't 'necessarily' recommend this - but on long drives, try a set of Airpod Pro headphones with noise cancellation - massive reduction in driver fatigue as well.
Of course the local RCMP may frown when you go by... :eek:

Month end - and year end - figures. Just over a grand for 24,000 km driven. I thought the Silverado 5.3L was decent on gas for a full size V8 truck, but that same year of driving including oil changes would have cost me $6500 at $1.70 per litre that we averaged in the Okanagan. Maintenance cost on the Lightning: $20 (cabin air filter).

Screenshot (60).png

A significant slug to energy efficiency in July. Two reasons for this: a 1700 km highway trip through the East Kootenays, and three weeks out of four having temps at or above 35 C: AC and battery cooling system working hard. Although AC is a heat pump and considerably more efficient than the heating coil in winter, I did a lot of short trips around town scooting from work site to work site. Big hit of energy to cool down cabin and battery each time, multiple times per day. Not dissimilar to doing the same thing on a snowy winter day. Would have shown as a big hit on range if I was monitoring, but that figure doesn't mean much when you're home every evening to charge. Out on the highway, I was pleasantly surprised at the efficiency of something as aero as a brick - I was seeing 24 kWh/100 km. That initial cool down energy is tiny in the context of a 600 km day, and although the higher speeds use more energy due to drag, the battery cooling system gets all the air it needs without running fans. Start the truck after being parked in the sun for an hour or two and the cooling fans are just roaring, surprisingly loud, like a gas engine at high idle.

How do you like the SR, in terms of range?
i recently got 2023 ER. Unloaded range is ample. Towing is up to 50% lower, which we all know well. I'm assuming you don't tow?

My driving for work and leisure hasn't changed much in years. Moderately high annual km at 24,000 but only 15% of this in longer trips that require public chargers. So I opted for the lower price and weight of the SR battery. When I ordered, the ER price was $16,000 more and was above the cap for rebates. I figured for a saving of over twenty grand that I could handle a little extra charging time on those few out of town trips.

I tow my boat out of town once a year, from the Okanagan to the Sunshine Coast and back. Boat is 19 ft and weighs under 3000 lb all in. Based on towing performance to date around the Okanagan, my plan for the upcoming trip is 15-20 minute stops in Princeton, Hope and Langley, and never to exceed 100 km/h on the highway.

Yes it's a tradeoff and yes, on those out of town drives it would be nice to have the 100 km extra range and faster charge rate of the ER, but then I remind myself I have no need of those capabilities 85% of the year, but would be paying for them every month nonetheless.

My driving for work and leisure hasn't changed much in years. Moderately high annual km at 24,000 but only 15% of this in longer trips that require public chargers. So I opted for the lower price and weight of the SR battery. When I ordered, the ER price was $16,000 more and was above the cap for rebates. I figured for a saving of over twenty grand that I could handle a little extra charging time on those few out of town trips.

I tow my boat out of town once a year, from the Okanagan to the Sunshine Coast and back. Boat is 19 ft and weighs under 3000 lb all in. Based on towing performance to date around the Okanagan, my plan for the upcoming trip is 15-20 minute stops in Princeton, Hope and Langley, and never to exceed 100 km/h on the highway.

Yes it's a tradeoff and yes, on those out of town drives it would be nice to have the 100 km extra range and faster charge rate of the ER, but then I remind myself I have no need of those capabilities 85% of the year, but would be paying for them every month nonetheless.

i've also been getting in the habit of keeping the speed down, especially with a trailer. makes a huge difference going 90 vs 100 vs 120kph. Keeping to 90 I can tow quite heavy for 300+km

There's a good chance my Lightning will never drive the Coquihalla. High speeds and steep grades made for a huge gas guzzle towing with the Silverado, would be equally hungry on electrons. Living in the south okanagan means Hope Princeton is a valid option, I've preferred it for many years.

The road trip trailering the boat to the coast has come and gone. It went well, towing with EV is great because of the always-available torque. I was surprised at how good the independent rear end was, noticeably less bump response transmitted from the trailer to the truck. The various towing aids in modern trucks help too: extended blind spot coverage, trailer hitch camera, range prediction, trailer light check mode, etc.

So it's all great, as long as you don't mind stopping every hour and a half. I knew going in that this is the shortcoming of the Standard Range battery in particular, and EV towing in general. Energy use due to increased drag from my boat/trailer rig went from an average 28 kWh/100 km to 42 kWh/100 km - a steep 50% increase. Once the truck 'learned' the energy characteristics of this trailer, it settled on 210 km of range at 100% state of charge (nominal full range for the SR is 385 km). But of course, out on the highway you don't go much past 80% charge because of etiquette and the steep slowdown in charge rate above 80%. So really what I'm playing with is about 180 km of driving, less a reasonable cushion, so 150 km - there's your hour and a half. The Extended Range pack improves on this somewhat, I could count on 200 km between stops when towing. for me, not worth the extra 20 grand up front. Others would have different needs/wants.

The trip went something like this:
- leave Penticton at 100%, charge in Princeton 18 minutes
- charge in Hope 35 minutes
- charge in Langley (Walnut Grove) 15 minutes
- arrive Secret Cove at 20%
- charged to 90% a few days later at Madeira Park (no trailer)
- same stops on return trip, longer charge in Hope due to upcoming net elevation gain
- round trip 962 km @ 42 kWh/100 km
- 373 kWh consumed
- total charging costs $184 ($0.19/km)

As with most things in life, you can take the glass half full or half empty point of view. I know the combination of freeway speeds and trailer drag is about the worst application going for an EV. This is not the main purpose for which the truck was intended, EV is at its best at lower speeds and stop/start town driving. But it still did the job, and we correctly estimated charging time and made the ferries with some spare time in hand. That extra hour spent at chargers would drive some people nuts, but I do this trip once a year so it didn't bother me. Mrs Sly had a plan to get the fresh food items for the cabin in Hope as she knew there was a supermarket across the parking lot from the chargers. At the same time I was dispatched to nearby liquor store to get beer, and fast food place for breakfast sandwiches. This worked out well, we actually needed a bit more time than the truck did. Another glass half full item would be that energy cost was half of what I'd spend in gas for the same trip.

On the way down (on a Thursday), we charged at full speed at Chevron chargers. They had lots of room for a truck/trailer and there was never any though of unhitching the boat. The return trip was on a Saturday afternoon and we encountered chargers on Power Conservation Mode; ie, running very slowly and we had to relocate to different network. Electrify Canada location in Hope is poky and we were fortunate that the one open charger was also the one trailer-friendly slot. No facilities like washroom or convenience store, not even a garbage can. In Princeton, the BC Hydro charger site was roomy but only ran at half the speed of the truck's capacity. We decided to make this our meal stop and enjoyed a lovely Greek dinner across the street. Worked out well, not so much if we had a ferry to catch or some other schedule constraint. One of these days, Ford will send my adapter for Tesla chargers and I'll have lots of options for reliably fast charging (but the most expensive).

Bottom line, I'll happily do this trip again next year. Add an hour and a half for charging rather than an hour, at least on the run to the ferry. The actual driving/towing experience is excellent, just know that a stop every hour and a half is part of the experience.

20240824_222612.jpg

20240815_083831.jpg

Nice report sly_karma. Your avg kWh/km with the boat is pretty good. Do you happen to know the weight? I get closer to 50kWh/100km pulling a 21' boat with a full cabin...which I think is about 6000lbs trailer weight. As you point out, the speed of the pull and the geography will make a big difference.

I also see that you are averaging close to 50cents per kWh of charge, which seems to be the going rate at the better chargers. Home charging is way cheaper...I hope there is some competition in the future for charging rates.

Back