Double Eagle 185 Build

Oscar162

Was fortunate enough to get my hands on quite a unique 185 DE. Was in service as an RCMP vessel at the beginning of its life... recently rescued from a barn it was squirreled away in the past 15 years after its most recent owner passed. The fuel cells are located behind the rear seats, allowing for room to stand. I'll be repairing what's needed structurally, and podding it. Stoked there are groups like this to help me fumble through the process. Stay tuned.........

Attachments

• IMG_3954.jpeg
    IMG_3954.jpeg
    511.6 KB · Views: 328
  • 07984C46-93B3-4C9D-B8BF-2586E5B6CCFA.jpg
    07984C46-93B3-4C9D-B8BF-2586E5B6CCFA.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 328
  • 2F2E32E8-4F0C-4621-B200-B34353CC7258.jpg
    2F2E32E8-4F0C-4621-B200-B34353CC7258.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 327
Saw that one online the other day and thought it looked promising for someone with far more ambition and knowledge then myself. Congrats!

Saw that one online the other day and thought it looked promising for someone with far more ambition and knowledge then myself. Congrats!
Love these builds. Is this your first rodeo?
This is admittedly a little out of my wheelhouse, but I enjoy a challenge! I've messed around with boats all of my adult life (nothing to this extent)... but have jumped into plenty of rodeo's I've had no business in. Most recently swapped a 57' f100 onto a cop-car chassis, and put together a 68' triumph chopper from the ground up... currently working with my kid to bring an older Tacoma back to life (rusted frame). Carpenter by trade, PT fishing guide, Full-time firefighter. All the info is out there, and the research is part of the fun. Most of my knowledge comes from screwing up... and I don't have much fibreglassing knowledge... Happy to be connected with a few of these groups to help me fumble through things. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_6394.jpeg
    IMG_6394.jpeg
    923.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    791.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3792.jpeg
    IMG_3792.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 136

Read this if you dare. It’s breathtaking work done by somebody on his first time! Men who make it all the way to the last post of this are know to gain 2” of penis size.

Read this if you dare. It’s breathtaking work done by somebody on his first time! Men who make it all the way to the last post of this are know to gain 2” of penis size.

I've read thru a couple of times... NO gains in size. Top notch work..... I'll be using this info, and much more, to help guide me along the way. Great resource!

Nice project you got there! If you need a hand with the pod or want to add some fuel capacity feel free to reach out. The boat looks like it’s in good shape overall.

Got the kids tacoma project completed and punted him outside so I could stuff the 185 DE pod project into its new home (tight...but fits). Been prepping for the worst / hoping for the best as its been at my inlaws - haven't had a good look at it since I bought it. I was told that it had lived in a barn for approx. 15 yrs, and the stringers/transom/floor had been done at some point. I ripped up the vinyl and drilled a couple of holes to investigate... seems pretty solid. I can tell some of the tabbing didn't bond well to the stringers in the engine compartment near the transom... but the stringer material seems solid and reasonably dry. After pulling up the vinyl I can see the floor was glassed/ tabbed to the hull and stringers. Looks to me like the transom has been built up at some point - will cut a bit past the outdrive hole to make sure it is solid.
Any insight from the resto / builder crowd appreciated.... boat will be podded next.

Thanks in advance, Oscar.

Attachments

• IMG_4263.jpeg
    IMG_4263.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_4256.jpeg
    IMG_4256.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_4255.jpeg
    IMG_4255.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_4265.jpeg
    IMG_4265.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_4258.jpeg
    IMG_4258.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 175
I wouldn't be strapping a pod on there yet.Have you tapped with a hammer inside and out of the transom to be sure it's solid?Is there a gas tank under the deck or just the seat tanks?You have a lot of grinding fiberglass and reglassing to do to seal the outdrive leg hole.I wouldn't do it in your shop,or you'll be breathing it in for years.The transom wouldn't be that thick from factory,so it has been done at some point.Looks like a good starting point hull for a project,good luck with it.

If you plan on keeping long term I suggest you replace your transom. It looks ok but any dark wood shows moisture has been in.
Great hull and worth the effort

Check around where the u-bolts go thru the transom (trailer tie downs)and see what the wood is like there

My 20 hourston I tried getting away without doing the transom and in a matter of a few years I noticed it was getting wet. So I redid it all. Well worth the trouble as I know it is good for many years to come

I wouldn't be strapping a pod on there yet.Have you tapped with a hammer inside and out of the transom to be sure it's solid?Is there a gas tank under the deck or just the seat tanks?You have a lot of grinding fiberglass and reglassing to do to seal the outdrive leg hole.I wouldn't do it in your shop,or you'll be breathing it in for years.The transom wouldn't be that thick from factory,so it has been done at some point.Looks like a good starting point hull for a project,good luck with it.
Yes I’ve definitely got some digging to do yet… will investigate further and do what needs to be done.

Dig some digging today, and came up with a bit of a plan moving forward.

The stringers are obviously wet where they meet the transom. The transom needs to be done... as well as the floor and foam.

The current plan, given what I see so far, is to 45 the stringers where the wood is clean/dry and sister in new fir... tab it to the new transom... cover with a new floor... and poor in some new foam. I'll fab up / glass some boxes for the seats/storage.

I know it's a big job... but I'm up for it. Can't imagine spending a small fortune on power and hanging it off a **** hull. I'll be doing it at home in my garage.... I've got some creative poly draping ideas to contain things a bit - and fans to vent when that's an issue.

This is definitely all new to me, but that's all part of it... love learning new skills.

Oscar

Attachments

• IMG_4271.jpeg
    IMG_4271.jpeg
    633 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_4275.jpeg
    IMG_4275.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4276.jpeg
    IMG_4276.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 150
From the pictures I've seen on this forum,"Brando" makes a good looking pod,you should contact him maybe.He could template it out and have it done for you when your ready for it.Not speaking for him,but he did offer.
Thanks for the note…. I reached out to him ( and others) when I picked it up. Will definitely be using him if he’s got time and is up for it, impressive
Workmanship on the examples he shared 👍.

Thanks for the note…. I reached out to him ( and others) when I picked it up. Will definitely be using him if he’s got time and is up for it, impressive
Workmanship on the examples he shared 👍.
Where about's is Brando and his contact info

Put a good shift in today…. a couple of spots that will need some attention, but I’ll sleep better now knowing what I have. No big surprises. Floor was soaked / rotted. Heater/fan on it for a couple days then I’ll finish tackling what’s left up front… then dig out the transom….

Attachments

• EA8A975E-F33C-455B-A53E-694B96B31D9F.jpeg
    EA8A975E-F33C-455B-A53E-694B96B31D9F.jpeg
    701.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 78AA3143-484E-4E17-BDC0-D5BE62D812CD.jpeg
    78AA3143-484E-4E17-BDC0-D5BE62D812CD.jpeg
    667.8 KB · Views: 152
I rebuilt my 70's 18.5 ft D.E. 10 years ago now.
I did the transom as well as spliced onto the 2 bigger stringers as well as replacing the smaller stringer from transom to bow area.

In hindsight I should have just pulled up all of the bigger stringer.
It's the old thing about doing Reno's....while you're at it.....you might as well do.......fill in the blank.

I think you’d be crazy not to replace the stringers at this point. Looks like your making great progress keep at it. It’s been debated before but if you can stomach the cost of composite materials i think it’s worth it. If not when anything gets mounted to the transom oversize the holes after you lay them out, backfill with epoxy and re drill to size once cured. That gives you some insurance against water intrusion in the future.

Back