Commander 26 Re Build

Are you planning on spraying and polishing the gel in the forward most part of the bow/keel area? I’m asking in advance of you marking the perfect waterline. If you bottom paint up the front following the curve of the hull I will have to come and hit you on the head with a blunt object.

Few things getting done but who am I kidding, The fishing bug has taken over me, started Monday with some evening sturgeon fishing, that was enough, Tuesday was going to fire every one so decided best was to do some solo fishing west van. Todays a write off as I have been practicing stuffing herring in teaser heads and wrapping the crap out of them with electrical tape as that’s the best advise I can find on this forum :)
Decided the only way forward with this rubrail is to fabricate stainless corners, I started making a piece but will give it to a pro to make, a bit longer than my sample size, hoping it’s ready this week as it’s the only thing holding the interior back…. Should look great, for the flybridge rubrail, I will use a more bendable rubrail like taco. 50840AF1-7ABB-4B50-9F34-F9F9A461A672.jpegFC7E22E5-6CE3-41DE-B745-1C5A44430516.jpeg6B40AB3F-D736-488F-A7BA-E897BF20FD8F.jpeg

Last edited:
Few things getting done but who am I kidding, The fishing bug has taken over me, started Monday with some evening sturgeon fishing, that was enough, Tuesday was going to fire every one so decided best was to do some solo fishing west van. Todays a write off as I have been practicing stuffing herring in teaser heads and wrapping the crap out of them with electrical tape as that’s the best advise I can find on this forum :)
Decided the only way forward with this rubrail is to fabricate stainless corners, I started making a piece but will give it to a pro to make, a bit longer than my sample size, hoping it’s ready this week as it’s the only thing holding the interior back…. Should look great, for the flybridge rubrail, I will use a more bendable rubrail like taco. View attachment 84436View attachment 84437View attachment 84438
Duct tape. Get it right.

The rubrail corners should look good,the bow is pretty sharp too,might want to have that made as well.The bottom of the bridge would normally have a rain gutter not a rub rail,no?

The rubrail corners should look good,the bow is pretty sharp too,might want to have that made as well.The bottom of the bridge would normally have a rain gutter not a rub rail,no?
I’m also getting the bow made up, it is sharp. The bridge originally had a aluminum rub rail, the same design as the main, but smaller in diameter. Really it’s only for looks and taco has a few nice white and stainless look a-likes that’s a lot more flimsy.

Bit more progress on the commander, all the little stuff, sanding down patches, prepping the hull, deck, and flybridge for gel coat. Decided to spray the inside of the bridge white and not the original blue, I think overall it might look cleaner. Rubrail corners are getting fabricated.
View attachment 84728View attachment 84729View attachment 84730
I've seen them white and black. I prefer the black. In fact, if I did mine again I'd go a flat black or flat gun metal grey or something. Maybe even a bed liner of some sort. The sides get beat up from gear. The white looked too bright to me. My $1.65 anyways.

Finally got to “putting her panties back on”
First step after patching her up with vinyl ester, started filling in the hull with gelcoat. Pretty happy with how all the pin holes are sealing, using a spreader to apply. Will have to make a couple passes before we spray. 4B0F9A0A-721C-40E2-AA8C-E30CC1C46252.jpeg0CF6E0BC-21FD-4A45-B8D5-F5F6E701951F.jpeg3055B042-3545-41DA-8B97-03C13F4999C3.jpegE62A0B1E-94A5-4E9E-AD76-658BF1FC5422.jpeg01ACCCDB-210D-4CB2-A783-1EA117E69CA8.jpegF86F54B1-D85A-41D9-853C-345EE22E742E.jpeg978B1A5D-E992-4C16-8F3A-CBD2D1812852.jpeg45F8B2DC-61FD-4E06-A185-01F9F84BDE5F.jpegCD8691A0-6370-4B78-A946-EF8314A10C64.jpeg813A5F95-2D07-45CC-BA8F-E783FB0A6B58.jpeg

This build is going sooo well , keep it up,
When its done I hope you have a launching ceremony/party!
I'd be there if I lived on mainland!
Thanks, been thinking about those twins with the new helm master ex a lot lately, can’t wait to see it all come together, burn some gas… and fish with autopilot. Haven’t thought of the launch or a ceremony.

Yes, for me the build is going well, did a few things twice, enough probably to give someone on this forum some type of pain somewhere but rest assured, I will keep posting all the nastiest stuff.

Finally got to “putting her panties back on”
First step after patching her up with vinyl ester, started filling in the hull with gelcoat. Pretty happy with how all the pin holes are sealing, using a spreader to apply. Will have to make a couple passes before we spray. View attachment 84768View attachment 84769View attachment 84770View attachment 84771View attachment 84772View attachment 84773View attachment 84774View attachment 84775View attachment 84776View attachment 84777
Looks great! How did you land on using thickened vinylester vs epoxy or poly? My very limited experience with resins come from the boatworkstoday guy on youtube and i remember him saying to use epoxy under the waterline. Just curious!

Thanks, been thinking about those twins with the new helm master ex a lot lately, can’t wait to see it all come together, burn some gas… and fish with autopilot. Haven’t thought of the launch or a ceremony.

Yes, for me the build is going well, did a few things twice, enough probably to give someone on this forum some type of pain somewhere but rest assured, I will keep posting all the nastiest stuff.
New helm master ex? Does that allow you to virtually anchor? I've got a spot for you to hammer halibut on quick tide changes near oak bay. Not too bad a run from Van if you are doing an overnighter in the gulf islands at poets cove resort or similar?

New helm master ex? Does that allow you to virtually anchor? I've got a spot for you to hammer halibut on quick tide changes near oak bay. Not too bad a run from Van if you are doing an overnighter in the gulf islands at poets cove resort or similar?
Not a long run from crescent beach, I’ll pick u up

Looks great! How did you land on using thickened vinylester vs epoxy or poly? My very limited experience with resins come from the boatworkstoday guy on youtube and i remember him saying to use epoxy under the waterline. Just curious!
It came down to what Ron is most comfortable and experienced with. Last thing I want to do is to test products on my commander that none of us have used. The vinyl ester and mat patches should be stronger then the polyester and bonds well into it…. In my limited experience

It will allow me to do everything and anything with a couple touches, after trolling for days with a stupid electric remote panther steering system mounted right on the corner of my deck I can’t wait

Back